Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have more sympathy for Rotham if he was ripping it up in the WAFL. He's not. He's a 26 year old, professional footballer... he should be at his peak in strength and fitness, and should be smashing it in the WAFL.

Easy to blame the coaches, but at what point do the players take some responsibility for themselves? Poor game plan? That's a coaching problem. Squibbing contests and missing easy targets by foot? That's a problem with the player.

I'd have more sympathy for Rotham if he was ripping it up in the WAFL. He's not. He's a 26 year old, professional footballer... he should be at his peak in strength and fitness, and should be smashing it in the WAFL.

Easy to blame the coaches, but at what point do the players take some responsibility for themselves? Poor game plan? That's a coaching problem. Squibbing contests and missing easy targets by foot? That's a problem with the player.
I'm not sure I agree with this. When Melbourne were a basket case they were turning first round picks into junk and now they're a well run club rookies like McVee look like first round picks.

For us when we were a well run team we were turning picks in the 20s and later into very good players, Lecras, Darling, McGovern, Barass, Lycett etc but now those picks and earlier are not working out: Brander, Rotham, O'Neil, Trew, Greg Clarke, Nelson etc.

Surely it's not the talent but rather development that is allowing teams that are doing well seem like every pick is a winner and visa versa.

Last edited:

I'm not sure I agree with this. When Melbourne were a basket case they were turning first round picks into junk and now they're a well run club rookies like McVee look like first round picks.

For us when we were a well run team we had we were turning picks in the late 20s and later into very good players, Lecras, Darling, McGovern, Barass, Lycett etc but now we are those picks and earlier are not working out: Brander, Rotham, O'Neil, Trew, Greg Clarke, Nelson etc.

Surely it's not the talent but rather development that is allowing teams that are doing well seem like every pick is a winner and visa versa.

🎯

I would like Simmo to stop the defenders leaving their man and charging at the oncoming player forward of centre which just creates a loose man at the back ..Let them run and kick off tired legs or at least hold back and put the oncoming player in two minds how to dispose of the ball ..

I would like Simmo to stop the defenders leaving their man and charging at the oncoming player forward of centre which just creates a loose man at the back ..Let them run and kick off tired legs or at least hold back and put the oncoming player in two minds how to dispose of the ball ..
That's a 50/50 decision the player has to make as the player with the footy will just keep going if you don't run at them. The overlap has been created and if you can effect the quality of the disposal down the ground from there then you should.
If you hang back player joggs down with no pressure and eventually you are going to have to make that decision but now you are 30 -40m closer to goal and perhaps the options have flared out meaning there is more ground to cover to stop that play later.

I thought they did that well particularly Gov who not only stopped the numbers out the back but actually forced the turn over a couple of times on that read.

Probably the prefrontal cortex.

Thanks Sheldon.

smug the big bang theory GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame his brand is so tarnished…… could have off loaded him to the Bullies as a salary dump.

Maybe if we offer to pay 50% of his salary 🤔
Premiership coach swap?

Simmo brings McCrae, Daniel and Keath straight into the 22 and leaves Sanders, West and Garcia in the VFL. He also tries to name Gaff and Sheed but is told they don’t play for the Bulldogs.

Bevo names Harley in the ruck and Tim Kelly in a back pocket but then sees Tom Morris at the Captain’s run, jumps the fence, punches him in the face and is sacked before he can coach a game.

How is the side so flat in the first quarter after last week?

Seriously poor selections (initially too tall, then bringing in Witherden) and now this first quarter 'performance'.
spider man premature ejaculation GIF

Last two weeks seems to have been a bit of a turning point for Simmo.

Hopefully it continues, definitely appears to have the boys up and about.

I do love the tumbleweeds in this thread after a win when it usually has 6 extra pages by now after a loss.
Me too, but tbf what’s the chat? Won our sixth game in 51, not much to unpack.

However, probably a good reminder that not every single game is a referendum on how we’re tracking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back