Women's Footy AFC GET Women's Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well the goalie is the most protected player on the ice it doesn't really play out between Aussie rules and hockey with AFL not having a special position that gets a penalty in it's favor for any physical contact against it.

Kinda disagree. Isn't the ruckman getting like that with the 3rd man up.

Kickin Goals is right. Goalie in most sports is a niche position that bears almost no similarity to all the other positions on the ground. It's conceivable that a girl could fill that role.

Punter in gridiron? I don't know the sport at all. Do they still tackle/get tackled?

AFL has no equivalent.

Kickin Goals is right. Goalie in most sports is a niche position that bears almost no similarity to all the other positions on the ground. It's conceivable that a girl could fill that role.

Punter in gridiron? I don't know the sport at all. Do they still tackle/get tackled?

AFL has no equivalent.
It's rare but NFL punters could be called upon to tackle. Remember the surprise when big Sav dropped someone?

Depends how a ruckman plays. I like a ruckman who can take a contested grab when needed. That's quite a physical thing to do requiring greater height and strength than most of your opposition. Typically.

My point was about them being protected, like a goal keeper is. In the contest, no one can interfere with a ruckman.

AFL has no equivalent.

I'd say the place kicker is less vulnerable. Once the kick has been taken the play is over.

With the punter the ball is in play until the returner is down by contact. So the punter is called upon to lay a tackle if required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's rare but NFL punters could be called upon to tackle. Remember the surprise when big Sav dropped someone?
Generally punters have to do dirty s**t to tackle, like grabbing the face mask or whatever. If he's tackling it means the receiver has gotten past everyone else so they basically have to do whatever it takes to stop the guy. Better to give up a 15 yard penalty than a touchdown.

Gee if the womens BBL is anything to go by for something to watch the quality is really not there.
Cricket and football definitely coming from a low base.

Because they've been predominantly male sports for so long, all the best female athletes have headed to netball, basketball, hockey... more traditional girls sports.

The existence of decent national competitions will hopefully turn this around in time but the talent base will be thin early on.

Cricket and football definitely coming from a low base.

Because they've been predominantly male sports for so long, all the best female athletes have headed to netball, basketball, hockey... more traditional girls sports.

The existence of decent national competitions will hopefully turn this around in time but the talent base will be thin early on.
That will take a long time though, in the meantime it's going to be churning through the $$

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...ty-port-adelaide-to-field-female-team-in-2016

Port have claimed the Port Adelaide Women's Football Club as them. Basically the club will continue to exist like it has for the last 13 years but now port get to say they have a women's team.

Nice.

They can concentrate on one club in the SAWFL and we can support the entire league and assist in nurturing the talent across all the clubs in the SAWFL to make our state's push to get a Woman's side in the National Comp a strong one.

The Port Adelaide Woman's Club has existed since 2003, and only now after we are bidding for a Woman's team in the National comp the Power decide to support it. LOL funny stuff.

Nice.

They can concentrate on one club in the SAWFL and we can support the entire league and assist in nurturing the talent across all the clubs in the SAWFL to make our state's push to get a Woman's side in the National Comp a strong one.

The Port Adelaide Woman's Club has existed since 2003, and only now after we are bidding for a Woman's team in the National comp the Power decide to support it. LOL funny stuff.

I'm no Port basher, but it seems a bit unfair to the rest of the league. Wouldn't an SA team need to be the best from the league to compete?

Nice.

Carn' Geoffa why not 2 teams out of Adelaide?

Est. 2003 ;)

Didn't the SANFL just start an underage girls comp affiliated with each of the SANFL clubs?

Did Port get it on that too, or were they left out now that Magpies are AFL reserves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back