AFL Canberra - Division 3 & 4 - 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn and anu drew yesterday this is the third draw that goulburn have had this year ,they have drawn with cooma,yass,and now anu has any other team ever had three draws in a season ?

The answer to your question cab is 94 and our game in hand is coota at coota so will be a real tuff road trip.
On the finals set up I think they need to look at it differently next year if there is going to be 24 teams over div 3 and div 4 they could make 3 div's of 8 teams to balance things out or perhaps making a north / south side conference set up in div 4 with top 3 sides from each conference to meet in finals just my 2 cents worth any one else have an idea?

div 4 cut into north and south is a great idea, something along the lines of

south
tugg
cooma
eastlake
adfa
harman
murrumbidgee

north
cootamundra
yass
goulburn
gungahlin
ainslie
belconnen
anu (either)
rmc (either)

i'd prefer to see 6 and 8 rather than 7 and 7 to eliminate byes
they dont help anyone

how was the game southcab?

did you guys play well?
You can only play aswell as your oposition lets you our backline pressure was outstanding and well and truly kept us in the game,they kicked more points than we had shots.The turning point was at the 12 minute mark of the last quater when a fight broke out accross our half back line,Hawks kicked two goals to hit the front and that was that.We done our best i supose but without numbers you will always stuggle to beat the top half.

div 4 cut into north and south is a great idea, something along the lines of

south
tugg
cooma
eastlake
adfa
harman
murrumbidgee

north
cootamundra
yass
goulburn
gungahlin
ainslie
belconnen
anu (either)
rmc (either)

i'd prefer to see 6 and 8 rather than 7 and 7 to eliminate byes
they dont help anyone

I remember they did a north and south conference to CD2s a few years ago, i think two divisions of 6 teams - anyone able to shed more light on how that set up worked? If there was two "conferences" of 7 teams, instead of having a bye have the two teams play each other (cross conference style - similar to what exists in the NEAFL now) would take a bit of creativity with the draw so you dont have Cooma's "bye" on the same weekend as Cootamundras "bye" and having them play each other on that weekend!
Also, the NEAFL is going to change format next season (i think!) so what happens up there will influence the set up of our divisions too.

Belco had some good wins yesterday over the Jets, pity we cant kick straight though...

Longhaul, everything is rosy over here, 3s are in a good position approaching the halfway mark and our side is starting to settle with the 15 odd new faces running around in our side (only 4 or 5 premiership players from last year still playing). 4s have strung a few wins together too, so obviously that lifts the spirits as well.

You can only play aswell as your oposition lets you our backline pressure was outstanding and well and truly kept us in the game,they kicked more points than we had shots.The turning point was at the 12 minute mark of the last quater when a fight broke out accross our half back line,Hawks kicked two goals to hit the front and that was that.We done our best i supose but without numbers you will always stuggle to beat the top half.

sorry to hear about the numbers ? are you still scrambling for 22 ?

We havent had 22 yet this year.Who do you play for or support y the interest in yass ?

i play for cooma and was just asking cause you keep sayin your short, didnt realise you werent getting 22 though. surely there is some old verterans you can bring out of retirement :) that result against tug is very good when you didnt have a full bench

i play for cooma and was just asking cause you keep sayin your short, didnt realise you werent getting 22 though. surely there is some old verterans you can bring out of retirement :) that result against tug is very good when you didnt have a full bench
That number includes old veterans:) you blokes are preforming well this year,good to see the young blokes playing, i see you have a couple of qbn boys traveling thats a big effort.:thumbsu:

That number includes old veterans:) you blokes are preforming well this year,good to see the young blokes playing, i see you have a couple of qbn boys traveling thats a big effort.:thumbsu:

yeah we have a couple of new youngens and that brought everything together a bit better, just gotta keep it rolling now.

I remember they did a north and south conference to CD2s a few years ago, i think two divisions of 6 teams - anyone able to shed more light on how that set up worked? If there was two "conferences" of 7 teams, instead of having a bye have the two teams play each other (cross conference style - similar to what exists in the NEAFL now) would take a bit of creativity with the draw so you dont have Cooma's "bye" on the same weekend as Cootamundras "bye" and having them play each other on that weekend!
Also, the NEAFL is going to change format next season (i think!) so what happens up there will influence the set up of our divisions too.

Belco had some good wins yesterday over the Jets, pity we cant kick straight though...

Longhaul, everything is rosy over here, 3s are in a good position approaching the halfway mark and our side is starting to settle with the 15 odd new faces running around in our side (only 4 or 5 premiership players from last year still playing). 4s have strung a few wins together too, so obviously that lifts the spirits as well.

Thanks for the reply. It may have been a disgruntled player, ex player or someone just talking complete smack. Seems to be the norm these days.

Had a lot of retirements after last year? To only have 4-5 premiership players from last year.

Funny how circumstances seem to change every few years.

yeah we have a couple of new youngens and that brought everything together a bit better, just gotta keep it rolling now.

Looking at clearances you guys picked up a couple of Queanbeyan players didn't you? Topped with some Blues would make you guys stronger.

Good to see after doing it a little tough for a while.

Good luck come finals.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey mate, from another league up north and umpired (club umpire) my 1st game on the weekend. It was very different from playing and it wasnt as easy as a thought it would be!! I just did my best to keep all players safe and made my calls on what I saw, how much do you guys get? in this league and the one you umpire in?

Yeah umpiring is definitely harder than it looks. It took me a few games to really get the hang of it. Luckily I'm in a league with great umpires coaches and for some reason great money spent on us. I think the most important part of umpiring is protecting the players and i prefer to let the game flow as much as possible, as apposed to stopping at every 'maybe' free kick.

I think in the Div3/4 the money is around $100 a game, but i could be way off there. In my league it's twice that for seconds and i think (i don't check to be honest) around three times that for firsts. It's great money, but they expect a lot from you for that. You have to train, you have to take feedback and you have to commit to it.

I love it now and would really love to be able to come back and help by umpiring in Canberra (although people on this board might end up killing me if i did that! :D ) I get good flexibility in my current league because i travel a lot with my work. As long as i let them know my availability they are fine.

I hope you keep going with the umpiring! It's very rewarding in a lot of ways and you get to stay involved with the best game in the world!

Thanks for the reply. It may have been a disgruntled player, ex player or someone just talking complete smack. Seems to be the norm these days.

Had a lot of retirements after last year? To only have 4-5 premiership players from last year.

Funny how circumstances seem to change every few years.

Yeah mate, not sure where that may have come from but it certainly is not the case (from what i can tell!!). I have been around BMFC for about 10 years and we are as happy as ever.

Certainly does change pretty quickly around CDs level, and given the dynamic nature of Canberra employment it can be a bit of a lotto with recruiting, especially at amateur level!

There have been quite a few retirements like Axe (everyone here has probably noticed our forward line is a bit quieter!) Buzzy, Van Deimen, both ruckmen, and netto (more than 1000 games of experience with just those guys!!). The Rowe lads have moved to Sydney, Jezza to Melbs, a couple have gone to play NEAFL, and our rugby convert has gone back to rugby!

I know we are not the only club to go through such a large turn over, but we have had close to 20 guys play their first game in CD 1s this year already. How do other teams lists compare to 2010?

I remember they did a north and south conference to CD2s a few years ago, i think two divisions of 6 teams - anyone able to shed more light on how that set up worked?

Whew - this is delving deep back into the memory banks as it was 2004 and I've forgotten a whole lot of important stuff since then...

The former competition powerhouses Kingston Wolves had merged into Eastlake to give Eastlake a Div 3 and 4 team

There were 7 teams in CD1's and 12 teams in CD2's.

It was decided to split the 12 into 2 divisions of 6 each.

South had Woden, Gungahlin, Cooma, Murrumbidgee, ANU and I think Tuggeranong (wearing their Cowboys jumpers).

Woden beat Gungahlin in the Grand Final.

North had Goulburn (premiers), Belconnen, ADFA, RMC, Eastlake and Yass. Goulburn won the Div 4 North premiership over Belconnen I believe.

In 2005, Woden were pushed up to CD1's, which also included Ainslie having a team for the first time. There were 10 teams in 1's and 11 in 2's.

Happy to be corrected if I have it all wrong though.

It got me thinking - since 97 when I started, we have had Yass, Goulburn and Coota come from interstate. RMC have come and gone. Kingston Wolves became Eastlake. ANU used to have a 3rds team which always got belted by a million. Have I missed any others?

Whew - this is delving deep back into the memory banks as it was 2004 and I've forgotten a whole lot of important stuff since then...

The former competition powerhouses Kingston Wolves had merged into Eastlake to give Eastlake a Div 3 and 4 team

There were 7 teams in CD1's and 12 teams in CD2's.

It was decided to split the 12 into 2 divisions of 6 each.

South had Woden, Gungahlin, Cooma, Murrumbidgee, ANU and I think Tuggeranong (wearing their Cowboys jumpers).

Woden beat Gungahlin in the Grand Final.

North had Goulburn (premiers), Belconnen, ADFA, RMC, Eastlake and Yass. Goulburn won the Div 4 North premiership over Belconnen I believe.

In 2005, Woden were pushed up to CD1's, which also included Ainslie having a team for the first time. There were 10 teams in 1's and 11 in 2's.

Happy to be corrected if I have it all wrong though.

It got me thinking - since 97 when I started, we have had Yass, Goulburn and Coota come from interstate. RMC have come and gone. Kingston Wolves became Eastlake. ANU used to have a 3rds team which always got belted by a million. Have I missed any others?

Jeez- i remember back to the days of the Monaro League where Goulburn had a side in - not the Swans - i think they were the Hawks. Belconnen used to be West Canberra and played in the Port Adelaide prison bars in my earliest days around the place.

From memory in 1997 there was a generic 'Defence' team rather than ADFA/RMC.

Back when I started Kingston were winning everything in both grades.

Uni of Canberra used to have a team as well. I'm colour blind and even I remeber that they had ordinary jumpers.

Wouldnt it just be easier to have a top 5/6 and an extra week of finals ?

Top 5 has always been my preference, especially with at least ten teams in a division. It (top 5) is probably the fairest format, and does give an extra week of finals. having said that, top 4 aint that bad...

We are now near the half way mark, anyone wanna make adjustments to their top 4/premiership predicitons, league medal winners (B&F, goal kickers), surprise teams etc???

From memory in 1997 there was a generic 'Defence' team rather than ADFA/RMC.

Back when I started Kingston were winning everything in both grades.

Uni of Canberra used to have a team as well. I'm colour blind and even I remeber that they had ordinary jumpers.

Awesome song but (UC Wombats that is).

I remember Defence actually played in ACTAFL for a year or two and didn't win a game. Might have come in as a replacement for Campbelltown or Batemans Bay if memory serves.

Awesome song but (UC Wombats that is).

I remember Defence actually played in ACTAFL for a year or two and didn't win a game. Might have come in as a replacement for Campbelltown or Batemans Bay if memory serves.

Yep ADFA went into ACTAFL in 1997 i think, coached by Cowboy Neale i believe. again the memory has been damaged over the years. they were a handy team in CD 1's but got flogged in ACTAFL. they had the tallest ruck i've ever played against. i think they did replace Campbelltown - they had a handy ruck as well.

Yeah umpiring is definitely harder than it looks. It took me a few games to really get the hang of it. Luckily I'm in a league with great umpires coaches and for some reason great money spent on us. I think the most important part of umpiring is protecting the players and i prefer to let the game flow as much as possible, as apposed to stopping at every 'maybe' free kick.

I think in the Div3/4 the money is around $100 a game, but i could be way off there. In my league it's twice that for seconds and i think (i don't check to be honest) around three times that for firsts. It's great money, but they expect a lot from you for that. You have to train, you have to take feedback and you have to commit to it.

I love it now and would really love to be able to come back and help by umpiring in Canberra (although people on this board might end up killing me if i did that! :D ) I get good flexibility in my current league because i travel a lot with my work. As long as i let them know my availability they are fine.

I hope you keep going with the umpiring! It's very rewarding in a lot of ways and you get to stay involved with the best game in the world!
$65 for div 4 here. I guess that puts merit to the quote "pay peanuts get monkeys" !!!

Looking at clearances you guys picked up a couple of Queanbeyan players didn't you? Topped with some Blues would make you guys stronger.

Good to see after doing it a little tough for a while.

Good luck come finals.:thumbsu:

thanks alot but we have to make it first and its a long way off

Wouldnt it just be easier to have a top 5/6 and an extra week of finals ?

i like the idea of 5 or six in the finals aswell but splitting the divisions doesnt just make it easy and possibly more fair on finals but it also
allows the travel to be shorter for alot of the rural based teams
ie cooma doesnt have to travel to cootamundra if in different divs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back