AFL Victoria Community Club Sustainability Program

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Panther, Arsenal
Well after years of talk and rumours AFL Vic have pulled out this.

http://www.aflvic.com.au/community-club-sustainability-program-live-stream/

What are peoples thoughts.

You need follow the above link to AFL Vic web and download the copy of the presentation to get a good understanding of what will be proposed to happen.

Allow me to cut and paste some of the information in the presentation but if you have any interest at all you do need to read the whole thing.

WHY
WHy.jpg
KEY MESSAGE
Key message.jpg
PLAYER POINTS SYSTEM
Points Table.jpg
FLOW CHART
Flow chart.jpg

I like the theory behind this, although i am not sure the NFL has the same problems now as it has had in the past, the Divvy 1 ladder doesnt look like it is ranked by $ although i dont know what each team spends. my only concern is the possable allocation of extra point by the league, this has the potential to cause problems. upload_2015-5-15_7-41-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-15_7-22-47.png
    upload_2015-5-15_7-22-47.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 94
I like the theory behind this, although i am not sure the NFL has the same problems now as it has had in the past, the Divvy 1 ladder doesnt look like it is ranked by $ although i dont know what each team spends. my only concern is the possable allocation of extra point by the league, this has the potential to cause problems.

Agree rompa, that's a bizarre concept to have such black and white point scale then allow the league to have options to add or deduct points.

Looking at the timelines on the last slide I am very sceptical they will be met.

Agree rompa, that's a bizarre concept to have such black and white point scale then allow the league to have options to add or deduct points.

Looking at the timelines on the last slide I am very sceptical they will be met.

Yes i cant see the time line working on the impementation, you would imagine that football Vic would have to set up a data base of every player and every game he has played ever so they could track players from club to club and comp to comp. Big job.

Is the points allowed for a playing list or individual games??
Also how would this effect the practice at the moment of having players from VFL sides coming in and out when available to try to qualify for finals.

Hi guys, different take on the situation that I read... raises some good points I think

https://thelastkick.wordpress.com/2015/06/07/equalisation-an-uneasy-road/

Great find. It was a very interesting read.

I 100% agree with the authors reading on how a salary cap is an exercise in futility for administrators to try and implement and he raises some very interesting points of view on the points system.

As I said earlier I see this (these) concepts hitting brick walls real soon. Can restraint of trade be a concept that larger clubs raise? I am not a legal begal at all but are we not taking money away from people (players). Yeah there is lots around but I still am yet to seen Clubs fold, despite the ominous warnings for years by 'experts'. Will kids be drafted to other local Clubs at an even earlier age than some are targeting them now.

In the end are people being petty as they don't support a club that can afford what they are paying? I do not follow one of them and seriously I don't care, I still go each week and enjoy it, I await us finally (one day) beating Heidelberg after over 40 years, I remember years back when we beat Bundoora for the first time in years....what a celebration, have we won a Div 1 premiership in years....no, do I believe we can this year or next....of course I do.

If people are so desperate to see evenness by bringing in this sort of stuff, when it fails, are they going to be held accountable?

Lets look at it, since the start of the NFL (season 2007....8 years) there has been:

5 different Div 1 Premiers.
7 different Div 2 Premiers.
and in the 6 years Div 3 has been around we have had 6 different winners.

In the same time the AFL has only seen 4 different premiers.....

We are not in a situation like many European soccer leagues that only one or two clubs can win it (yes I am not comparing the money and size of the NFL to the EPL but they are trying to bring in fairer salary systems and fail, continuously)

Who is really wanting this? Who can see such domination? Its easy to say that some Clubs spend to much to monopolise the comp but where is the real evidence, yes a team like Heidelberg have been in the finals and we always hear rumours of the amount of money they spend but has any other side gone broke because of that? Did that stop any true supporter from going each week (and trust me I have been to games knowing there was a shellacking coming)

I dunno, maybe I should get off my high horse and I am probably in the minority, I don't see an issue and am worried new rules and regulations on running a competition and/or club will have a negative effect but will wait and see.

I think this is going to a great game changer because its for every metro league, never before have the leagues tried to implement something
together to overcome all league issues. The theory to me is solid but, in practice its going to take time to get it right. My understanding is the NFL Presidents voted for it to come into the NFL in 2016. Before it is implemented and met with a final agreement, it is expected that the points and salary amount will be decided and agreed upon by the clubs

The EFL sent a message to their clubs last night confirming that the points system is in for 2016, and it will be 50pts per team. Also as part of the first year of implementation players will receive a one off 2pt reduction. For example if a player was a 4pt player in 2015 if he stays at the same club he will be a 2pt player in 2016. This 2pt reduction only occurs for the 2016 season.

I think this is going to a great game changer because its for every metro league, never before have the leagues tried to implement something
together to overcome all league issues. The theory to me is solid but, in practice its going to take time to get it right. My understanding is the NFL Presidents voted for it to come into the NFL in 2016. Before it is implemented and met with a final agreement, it is expected that the points and salary amount will be decided and agreed upon by the clubs

I don't believe that it is going to be implemented into the VAFA, and although they allegedly don't pay players, they do have a very good track record of attracting quality players, for whatever reason, and this may escalate in 2016 and beyond.

I love the points system as far as promoting local talent and giving the kids a go. But , so far all I see is a regulation on which players you can play, not how much you can pay them. This will be crucial. There is still nothing to stop a returning low pointer getting a large sum to play.

Yep! There's a good idea. Introduce a points system to give all the kids a go regardless. Then watch the brand of local footy deteriorate followed by gate attendances. Then manipulate the points system back to the future in an attempt to accommodate the misgivings. Talk about a dog chasing its tail. I think some you blokes at the NFL are taking yourselves a tad too serious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep! There's a good idea. Introduce a points system to give all the kids a go regardless. Then watch the brand of local footy deteriorate followed by gate attendances. Then manipulate the points system back to the future in an attempt to accommodate the misgivings. Talk about a dog chasing its tail. I think some you blokes at the NFL are taking yourselves a tad too serious.

Shocked a Heidelberg supporter is not in favour....:eek::D:eek::D;);)

I have heard that the salary cap WILL be introduced in the NFL next year (points will only be provisional in 2016, in implemented fully 2017). From what I can gather ALL players will have to sign a registered contract with the Club that is submitted to the league. Clubs finances are then audited randomly to verify appropriate transactions are happening in accordance with selection and submitted contracts.

Personally I see this as ridiculous. The administrative burden on volunteers at Clubs is already enough, this just adds to it. Also, how do Clubs typically pay players? If this is an official registered contract is this now taxable income players will have to declare? Do Clubs have the ability to issue tax certificates? Will they be needed?

As I have stated in earlier posts, I actually agree with The Boof (despite my sarcastic comment...) All I see with salary cap and points a burdens on Clubs busting their humps trying to run the places. The NFL did a 5 game snapshot of the league this year (all divisions) to see what the point system will look like if it was live over those weeks. The three lowest Clubs were Macleod, Greensborough and Eltham.....through ALL three divisions.

7 Div 1 Premiers in 8 years........In my opinion all this is just not required.

The point system is state wide not just the NFL, its a one in all in. Yes the NFL is in great shape at the moment but are other leagues? The NFL needs all competing leagues to get better to protect us in the future. We need the mentally of spend big $$$ is the only way to win a flag to disappear. The last two NFL flag winners don't spend the most where else does that happen? Other results WRFL 1st Div winners Deep Park rumoured to spend 400K plus win flag by 20 goals, EDFL Div1 winners Aberfeldie rumoured 350k plus win flag by 76pts, EFL Bawlyn Div 1 winners rumoured to spend 350k win flag by 111pts, NFL Div 1 Macelod win flag by 21pts rumoured to spend 120k.

The point system is state wide not just the NFL, its a one in all in. Yes the NFL is in great shape at the moment but are other leagues? The NFL needs all competing leagues to get better to protect us in the future. We need the mentally of spend big $$$ is the only way to win a flag to disappear. The last two NFL flag winners don't spend the most where else does that happen? Other results WRFL 1st Div winners Deep Park rumoured to spend 400K plus win flag by 20 goals, EDFL Div1 winners Aberfeldie rumoured 350k plus win flag by 76pts, EFL Bawlyn Div 1 winners rumoured to spend 350k win flag by 111pts, NFL Div 1 Macelod win flag by 21pts rumoured to spend 120k.
Macleod had something like 15 1 pointers in that side

Last edited:
Quick question, is there any financial incentive with winning a division 1 premiership in the NFL?
That's a very interesting question. Someone may correct me, but I seem to remember that clubs who participated in finals used to share in a pool of money. This is going back to the DVFL days, but I do recall Lower Plenty receiving money or a fee reduction when they played div 2 finals in the late 90's.

The EFL sent a message to their clubs last night confirming that the points system is in for 2016, and it will be 50pts per team. Also as part of the first year of implementation players will receive a one off 2pt reduction. For example if a player was a 4pt player in 2015 if he stays at the same club he will be a 2pt player in 2016. This 2pt reduction only occurs for the 2016 season.
How does that work. 50 points. Wouldnt most teams have 50 players on the books.

Every player is allocated a point depending on their playing history and each senior team each week can't go over 50 points.

Every player is allocated a point depending on their playing history and each senior team each week can't go over 50 points.
Thanks. Do the points you get allocated stay the same or are they assesed each year. Like if you get an ex AFL player worth 5 points does he stay a 5 point player. And if a junior comes up as a 1 point player does he stay a 1 point player or are the assessed on the years achievements. Selection nights might be interesting. The coach will have to pick not only on form but also if he can fit you in the side under the points.

Each year a player who stays at the club comes down 1pt per year, until he reaches 1pt. For the 2016 season only, there is a 2pt discount so any player who played at a club in 2015 and remains at the same club in 2016 will have a 2pt reduction. For example if a player is a 4pt player in 2015 and he stays in 2016 he will become a 2pt player and then 1pt in 2017 and thats where he remain while at that club. If in 2019 he moves to another club the new club will have to re-assess he's point value.

I have a question for those more learned than I:

•Player A came to us in 2016 as a 4 point player
•He played 15 senior games & finished top 5 in our club BnF

Given that he is not a home player, is he still 4 points because he finished top 5?

Or does he get 1 point deducted for the years service making him 3 points for 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back