Discussion AFL Weekly Predictions Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbsy Stewart2Austin , when should we start advertising the competition to other boards? We have about 3 weeks until the season starts, and even if we don't use the website, it'll still be good to have some fresh faces in the competition.
As long as you make it seem fun and appealing. The rules you made are fine and are necessary to have a functioning competition, so we need them. However, to a new user, I think they may seem a little, uh, stringent and strict and uninviting.

Are you planning on advertising to the SFA, akkaps?

As long as you make it seem fun and appealing. The rules you made are fine and are necessary to have a functioning competition, so we need them. However, to a new user, I think they may seem a little, uh, stringent and strict and uninviting.

Are you planning on advertising to the SFA, akkaps?
If you look back the the website, I have add five rules to the top of the page, they are basic and straight forward.

I was going to advertise on the SFA, but if someone could also advertise on the Main Board, and possible Club Boards. We can then get quite a lot of people joining.

Gibbsy Stewart2Austin , when should we start advertising the competition to other boards? We have about 3 weeks until the season starts, and even if we don't use the website, it'll still be good to have some fresh faces in the competition.

I honestly think if people want to partake in it then they will, we don't want to be seen as spamming outside boards. Plenty of people are aware of the existence of the Footy Jumpers board and those who are only part-timers to the board should appreciate the work you've done.

What I'm saying is that if you don't care in the first place, a spammy message on another board isn't going to change anything (as in I find the SFA promotional threads really grating).

I thought the idea of having it offsite, was to attract people from other parts of BigFooty. And I have been working with this in mind.

I thought it was just for ease of use and avoiding having to copy and paste heaps of BB code every week.

You have to remember that predicting what guernsey a team will wear each week is an extremely niche hobby and topic. Even BF's own normal tipping competition is only moderately active. If 'outsiders' want to join then they can feel free, but I still think you'll only be attracting the guernsey aficionados.

I thought it was just for ease of use and avoiding having to copy and paste heaps of BB code every week.

You have to remember that predicting what guernsey a team will wear each week is an extremely niche hobby and topic. Even BF's own normal tipping competition is only moderately active. If 'outsiders' want to join then they can feel free, but I still think you'll only be attracting the guernsey aficionados.
In Stormys original post, he talks about trying to sell the idea to the main board, giving them a say over what should be worn. I would mind starting there, and seeing it expand.

I've read through some jumper threads on Club boards, and their opinions on their club jumpers are quite interesting.

akkaps want to advertise, Gibbsy is concerned about being obnoxious. There's a middle ground here. Advertising without being obnoxious.

Something like

"Hey, we're a small board on BigFooty that discusses footy jumpers. We do graphic design as well, it's really cool. Anyway, we run a competition each year (a bit like footy tipping) except instead of tipping the winner of each match, we try to predict what jumper a team is going to wear. It's fun because it's harder than you think because the AFL's policy on clash jumpers is inconsistent. So, yeah, check it out if you want."

Maybe just put a link to it in your signature, that way it'll pop up on a few boards across the site. I'll probably do that closer to round 1.

Plus we can post links when the inevitable first "I don't like clash jumpers" thread pops up on the main board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back