AFL Women's Grand Final should be held in the top teams State and not as an AFL mens opener.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's dangerous to assume that AFLW will still be super popular in 7 weeks time when the mens Footy is starting.

Personally I think a lot of the hype and novelty will of worn off and it will be overshadowed by the AFL season starting
This
It will be relatively popular, but highly unlikely we will see crowds like Friday night again

Add in the fact it was free, and it's obvious

I'd go in the other direction, having it close for a day or twilight game

I'm in the "let the dust settle" camp. Crowds in a months time will largely dictate the location of the GF. I think the AFL missed a trick by not holding the GF on the weekend between the pre-season comp ending and the men kicking off.

It would have meant commencing Aus day weekend, but it would have worked better to build into the season and finish with a bang as a stand alone game, IMO. Unfortunately I think the GF may get lost amongst the hype of round 1.

The popularity or not of the competition in seven weeks time isn't really the issue here.

Like it or not the AFL are trying to turn this into a legitimate, elite women's sporting competition and it's completely undermined by the potential that this elite competition's pinnacle serves as a curtain raiser.

As a legitimate competition it should be a given that the highest qualifying side are given the opportunity to host the grand final. This doesn't happen in the AFL for a number of reasons including "tradition", the women's competition doesn't have this anchor and so there's no reason other than the AFL being an extension of the old VFL that it should be confined to Victoria no matter who finishes top.

I agree the top team should host, there's not going to be a situation like in the AFL where capacity is an issue.

But I think the AFL will try to maximise the crowd and they'll do this by playing it in Victoria if one of the Victorian teams make it, regardless of where they finish on the ladder. If it is Adelaide v Brisbane however, then expect to see the game in South Australia. Likewise I think they would have it in WA if it were Freo v Brisbane. An Adelaide v Freo GF could be an interesting scenario, every chance they might go with the higher finisher in that case.

I think it's dangerous to assume that AFLW will still be super popular in 7 weeks time when the mens Footy is starting.

Personally I think a lot of the hype and novelty will of worn off and it will be overshadowed by the AFL season starting

I'd go for a Origin game after the Womens GF, Fri night footy at the ground of the reigning premier to overcome any fixturing problem.

I agree the top team should host, there's not going to be a situation like in the AFL where capacity is an issue.

But I think the AFL will try to maximise the crowd and they'll do this by playing it in Victoria if one of the Victorian teams make it, regardless of where they finish on the ladder. If it is Adelaide v Brisbane however, then expect to see the game in South Australia. Likewise I think they would have it in WA if it were Freo v Brisbane. An Adelaide v Freo GF could be an interesting scenario, every chance they might go with the higher finisher in that case.

AFL are a joke... make s**t up as it comes along

It's an interesting discussion point.

Many are suggesting that the grand final will be held Saturday March 25 at the MCG before Essendon v Hawthorn.

Now here's the conundrum.

We know that Essendon fans will be marching en masse during that afternoon - anything up to 60000.

Hawks fans will probably number 25000.

Would Hawks fans turn up to a game they are not involved in and same with Essendon fans?

The home team come grand final day should host the grand final. It would be dumb for the AFL to host in Victoria (its time we stopped hosting the mens at the MG and have it at the home teams ground)
I agree with the most of that. But the grand final must be played at the MCG no matter what. Doesnt help my team (not that we have an issue anyways). But something about it just seems untouchable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game shouldn't be a curtain raiser. If anything, the mens game should be the curtain raiser for it although I'd have it as stand alone).

As for it being in Melbourne, probably not, but I think the AFL are afraid few will turn up, which will be a bad PR situation for them, and that's less likely to happen in Melbourne.

A stand alone game in round 1 (either Friday night or Saturday night) would be the best I reckon.

They have already said it will be a stand alone game. If you look at the mens fixture for Saturday 25th the 2pm time slot is vacant.
Venue says TBD which I guess means they will have it at the minor premiers home ground but with the AFL you never know. I would imagine if its a Victorian team it will be held at Ikon regardless of the minor premier.

I think you have to acknowlege the AFLW will have a different group of supporters. It would be absurd to link it with an AFL game, even without the location issues. No good reason to link it with a Vic location anyway.
My support the MCG for the AFL GF is based on tradition, no such tradition for the womens game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back