AFLW Round 1 of the 2023 AFL Women's season

Remove this Banner Ad

I think these are the biggest injury/availability questions heading into R1.

Adelaide: Sarah Allan hamstring
Brisbane: Dakota Davidson hamstring
Carlton:
Collingwood: Brazill coming back from netball and Davey coming back from ACL/hamstring
Essendon:
Fremantle: Ebony Antonio knee
Geelong: Rebecca Webster, Olivia Fuller, Shelley Scott
Gold Coast: Lauren Bella
GWS Giants: Georgia Garnett
Hawthorn: Charlotte Baskaran, Aileen Gilroy
Melbourne:
North Melb.:
Port Adelaide:
Richmond: Sarah Hosking hamstring
St Kilda: Georgia Patrikios knee
Sydney:
West Coast:
W. Bulldogs: Alice Edmonds

Most of them are reported as being expected to be right for R1, some of them I have no clue about.
West Coast remain virtually injury free.

Whole club in shock.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Round 1 will also have radio coverage for every game.

Broadcasters this year include ABC, SEN, 3AW, MMM, 6PR, 5AA, 3WBC, Casey Radio and WARF Radio.
That is great news.
Often busy on weekends so having the AFLM live app and the radio options is essentially. Glad the W is catching on.

Have no idea why North play AFLW at Blundstone and not North Hobart Oval. Actually, I do, they want to play at the same venue as the men and have better off facilities.

North Hobart is a lot of things(mostly old) but its central city setting and small field and smaller capacity size makes it perfect for AFLW.

As for why it is round 1. It is the cricket season. Blundstone is primary a cricket oval. Another reason why North Hobart would be better.

Have no idea why North play AFLW at Blundstone and not North Hobart Oval. Actually, I do, they want to play at the same venue as the men and have better off facilities.

North Hobart is a lot of things(mostly old) but its central city setting and small field and smaller capacity size makes it perfect for AFLW.

As for why it is round 1. It is the cricket season. Blundstone is primary a cricket oval. Another reason why North Hobart would be better.
If the players are unsatisfied with changeroom facilities at NHO, and Bellerive isn't available after September, that would be the (as I called it) "legitimate reason" to not have NM's Hobart game in October/November.

Certainly doesn't mean that it needs to be R1 however, which remains the point.

If the players are unsatisfied with changeroom facilities at NHO, and Bellerive isn't available after September, that would be the (as I called it) "legitimate reason" to not have NM's Hobart game in October/November.

Certainly doesn't mean that it needs to be R1 however, which remains the point.
If I recall, last year it was in round 2.

I think TSL finals might be another factor

If I recall, last year it was in round 2.

I think TSL finals might be another factor
It was round 1. Has nothing to do with local football. Chances are NM requested to have their first home game in Tasmania. Which, again, doesn't need to be R1.

At number 1 on our traditional 10 Most Memorable Round 1 Moments countdown, it's a great team goal by the Crows, foreshadowing some great team success.

A game certainly not watched by as many people as the night before, but just as memorable to those who did. Or so I say. Part of the game that is probably forgotten was how GWS started--quite a bit better than what the scoreboard says.

Also possible the AFL wanted one game in each state in round 1.
The messaging from the AFL, including Gill explicitly, has been about refocussing AFLW towards packing out small venues. They can want that, and they can also want a R1 game in each state... but it's like wanting to eat chocolate all day every day while wanting to stay skinny.

The messaging from the AFL, including Gill explicitly, has been about refocussing AFLW towards packing out small venues. They can want that, and they can also want a R1 game in each state... but it's like wanting to eat chocolate all day every day while wanting to stay skinny.

Generally there are trade offs between multiple objectives. It is possible that flexing the "games in every state" in round 1 outweighed the cost of having one game that wasn't mostly full.

Given that (by your own explanation above) that the Hobart game had to be a Bellerive (given the absence of an alternative with adequate facilities - the adequate facilities objective if you like), than a not packed Hobart game was inevitable at some point

Playing devils advocate here.

Generally there are trade offs between multiple objectives. It is possible that flexing the "games in every state" in round 1 outweighed the cost of having one game that wasn't mostly full.
Idk if they're flexing "games in every state". I do know they're painting Melbourne coral tonight, that's a bit of a flex. I would guess the theory is it might get some people thinking about going to an AFLW game on Sunday, if there were any on in the area.

Couldn't tell ya the last time Melbourne didn't have a R1 men's Sunday game, but it certainly hasn't happened this century.

I'm gonna go with:

Melbourne def Coll by 30
Gold Coast def Carl by 3
Adelaide def PA by 50
Geelong def WB by 9
Hawthorn def Ess by 1
North Melb. def StK by 24
GWS Giants def Syd by 6
Brisbane def Rich by 18
Fremantle def WCE by 12

Just the one upset (Hawks over Bombers), in terms of ladder positions from last season, and not the one most are tipping (Blues over Suns). A couple weeks ago I would've tipped Richmond, but their practice match form last year held up so maybe it will again.

Bumped the margin up on Collingwood due to Schleicher missing. Dragged Geelong and Fremantle back a bit because Scott and Webster are out for the Cats, and I'm skeptical about Antonio playing for the Dockers.

Can't not have Adelaide as my big winner just because PA beat a Parker-less GWS and Patrikios-less St Kilda in practice matches (the Saints game was a particularly weird one, too).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At number 1 on our traditional 10 Most Memorable Round 1 Moments countdown, it's a great team goal by the Crows, foreshadowing some great team success.

A game certainly not watched by as many people as the night before, but just as memorable to those who did. Or so I say. Part of the game that is probably forgotten was how GWS started--quite a bit better than what the scoreboard says.

I was at this game and didn't know any of the players other than Phillips, but quickly fell in love with them all :) Back in that 2017 season the Crows seemed to regularly score goals from outside 50m, which has barely happened since that season.

Bonus clip time! At number 0 on our traditional 10 Most Memorable Round 1 Moments countdown, it's the 2022 Goal of the Year by Ebony Antoni0.

A cracker, also right up there for Western Derby moments. Speaking of which, WA viewers can watch the next instalment of Fremantle v West Coast on 7mate, Sunday 3pm local time. Yes, 7mate. Relegated due to a state league Elimination Final. Priorities. And people wonder why WA football is in the toilet.

Sydney v GWS will be on Seven's main channel in NSW.

Bonus clip time! At number 0 on our traditional 10 Most Memorable Round 1 Moments countdown, it's the 2022 Goal of the Year by Ebony Antoni0.

A cracker, also right up there for Western Derby moments. Speaking of which, WA viewers can watch the next instalment of Fremantle v West Coast on 7mate, Sunday 3pm local time. Yes, 7mate. Relegated due to a state league Elimination Final. Priorities. And people wonder why WA football is in the toilet.

Sydney v GWS will be on Seven's main channel in NSW.

As someone who is generally pretty avoidant of AFL bashing (given there are plenty enough doing that mindlessly and incoherently) I think on this occassion you'd have to wonder why the AFL and WAFL/WAFC did not co-ordinate to ensure the AFLW derby did not clash with a WAFL final.

It can't be that hard surely?

As someone who is generally pretty avoidant of AFL bashing (given there are plenty enough doing that mindlessly and incoherently) I think on this occassion you'd have to wonder why the AFL and WAFL/WAFC did not co-ordinate to ensure the AFLW derby did not clash with a WAFL final.

It can't be that hard surely?
Last year the AFL made sure the VFL Coll-Carl EF was played at Sunday 1pm, leading into a 4pm start for AFLW Geel-Rich R1.

If they controlled the WAFL fixture, they would have made a similar arrangement this weekend (i.e. men's state league at 12pm, AFLW at 3pm). So if anybody deserves to be bashed for this clash, it's the WAFC.

Last year the AFL made sure the VFL Coll-Carl EF was played at Sunday 1pm, leading into a 4pm start for AFLW Geel-Rich R1.

If they controlled the WAFL fixture, they would have made a similar arrangement this weekend (i.e. men's state league at 12pm, AFLW at 3pm). So if anybody deserves to be bashed for this clash, it's the WAFC.

Fair enough.

I guess we don't know what went on the background...i.e. did the AFL engage the WAFL when setting up the draw? re channel 7 perth being the jerks and insisting on a contractual agreement with the WAFL?

Fair enough.

I guess we don't know what went on the background...i.e. did the AFL engage the WAFL when setting up the draw? re channel 7 perth being the jerks and insisting on a contractual agreement with the WAFL?
Seems like the AFL looked at the WAFL Week 1 Finals fixture last year, and saw the only Sunday game was at 12pm. The AFL then proceeded to schedule AFLW 2023 R1 accordingly, which seems reasonable.

With that in mind, we can conclude a) there is no breach of contract in playing a WAFL elimination final at 12pm rather than 2pm, and b) it's the WAFC being jerks in this instance.

Past matches between Collingwood & Melbourne (the only inaugural teams facing each other this weekend):

Season
Coll
Melb
Most goalsMost disposalsVenue
2017 R2​
2 C. Phillips16 D. PearcePrinces Park
2018 R4​
2 C. Edwards
2 M. Hope
19 J. Lambert
19 E. O'Dea
Traeger Park
2019 R2​
-26 E. O'DeaVictoria Park
2020 R4​
2 S. Rowe24 K. PaxmanDocklands Stadium
2021 R5​
3 C. Molloy25 B. DaveyVictoria Park

I too am going for the Melbourne tonight.

Was thinking of attending but being harassed by Chompers is probably not worth it for a neutral game. AFL are reportedly expecting 6-7k tonight, which would be 2-3k more than last season's opener (Carl v Coll).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back