After the Bye

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t believe we have the highest percentage in the competition.
It’s a testament to our frugal defence.
Is it just me or do others feel our forward line has hardly functioned for the majority.

Is it just me or do others feel our forward line has hardly functioned for the majority.
Screenshot_20230619_075021_Chrome.jpg
Checkers & Hill have done alright. The other permanent forwards need to lift, namely Elliott and AJ.

Last edited:
I think the loss of Mcstay has thrown out the structure of our forward line. When he returns he will take the opponents best defender and allows ash or mihocek to get a bit of a mismatch.

This notion of if they kicked straight is utter garbage the fact is they didn’t kick straight. There were times when they scored multiple points in a row within quick succession.
After a goal is kicked the ball is returned to the middle and the whole game changes.
I can just as easily say if Melbourne kicks any of the shots they missed we go on to win by ten goals.
This is spot on! I keep saying this too whenever anyone uses the "If Melbourne kicked straight" argument. Absolutely the scoring shots flattered them because we kept turning it over from kick ins or shortly after. It stayed in their half often. A goal resets it. We get the next clearance and a goal for example.
Why I'll never be convinced otherwise, that Steele kicked a professional behind against Adelaide. Put it out of reach for them to score from full back, as opposed to a centre clearance.

This is spot on! I keep saying this too whenever anyone uses the "If Melbourne kicked straight" argument. Absolutely the scoring shots flattered them because we kept turning it over from kick ins or shortly after. It stayed in their half often. A goal resets it. We get the next clearance and a goal for example.
Why I'll never be convinced otherwise, that Steele kicked a professional behind against Adelaide. Put it out of reach for them to score from full back, as opposed to a centre clearance.

Probably holds more weight if we weren’t spanked in clearances and contested footy. While we won the center clearances I’d say ours weren’t anywhere near as clean or impactful as theirs. They waltzed out the front of those stoppages and had good F50 entry. We bombed it long, and as supported by their intercept dominance and our turnover dominance, not to our advantage.

With Elliott, McStay, Sidebottom, DeGoey and Howe walk up starters once available, who are the five from Monday's game that would make way for them?

Tough question and interesting exercise. How things work unfortunately is there are other injuries picked up along the way that make the selection a little easier, hopefully we get a good run in the second half of the year and don't have that problem...

All 5 of those players definitely come back into the side for mine. Just a matter of how we want to structure the side.

Elliott and DeGoey in for McInnes and Harrison.
Howe in for Frampton? Tough call... Howe if fit comes in but who else is the option to go out????
Sidebottom onto the wing and WHE replaces Markov as the sub
McStay in for one of Cox or Cameron and providing a chop out in the ruck. Alternatively Johnson could be the one omitted... I would like to see him stay in the side.

B - Quaynor Moore Murphy
HB - Maynard Howe Crisp
C - J.Daicos DeGoey Sidebottom
HF - McCreery McStay Lipinski
F - Elliott Mihocek Hill
R - Cox/Cameron Mitchell N.Daicos
INT - Pendlebury Adams Noble Johnson/Cox/Cameron
SUB - WHE

Then there is Ginnivan? Does Krueger get into the side if he strings some games together? Markov has been pretty serviceable as well...

I think the bye came at a good time. If we had Adelaide a week later after KB I think they'd beat us.
Need to get our s**t settled and find our hunger again which I thought was lacking.
I sense a bit of complacency setting into supporters and possibly the team. We haven't locked anything away, top 2, top 4 or top 8. Lot's of work to do and the Collingwood way is always to make things a struggle or harder than they need to be but I'm staying positive that we can have a good month.

Tough question and interesting exercise. How things work unfortunately is there are other injuries picked up along the way that make the selection a little easier, hopefully we get a good run in the second half of the year and don't have that problem...

All 5 of those players definitely come back into the side for mine. Just a matter of how we want to structure the side.

Elliott and DeGoey in for McInnes and Harrison.
Howe in for Frampton? Tough call... Howe if fit comes in but who else is the option to go out????
Sidebottom onto the wing and WHE replaces Markov as the sub
McStay in for one of Cox or Cameron and providing a chop out in the ruck. Alternatively Johnson could be the one omitted... I would like to see him stay in the side.

B - Quaynor Moore Murphy
HB - Maynard Howe Crisp
C - J.Daicos DeGoey Sidebottom
HF - McCreery McStay Lipinski
F - Elliott Mihocek Hill
R - Cox/Cameron Mitchell N.Daicos
INT - Pendlebury Adams Noble Johnson/Cox/Cameron
SUB - WHE

Then there is Ginnivan? Does Krueger get into the side if he strings some games together? Markov has been pretty serviceable as well...
I agree on all the inclusions, depending on injuries and what not hard to say who squeezes who out.
As for Ginni if he gets his opportunity he can cement a spot it’s a matter again of at the expense of who ??.

On Markov I feel being the sub twice has ultimately cost him his spot which is a shame as I think his leg speed is a real weapon.

I think the bye came at a good time. If we had Adelaide a week later after KB I think they'd beat us.
Need to get our s**t settled and find our hunger again which I thought was lacking.
I sense a bit of complacency setting into supporters and possibly the team. We haven't locked anything away, top 2, top 4 or top 8. Lot's of work to do and the Collingwood way is always to make things a struggle or harder than they need to be but I'm staying positive that we can have a good month.
True. I have enjoyed the wins but we haven't achieved anything yet.

This notion of if they kicked straight is utter garbage the fact is they didn’t kick straight. There were times when they scored multiple points in a row within quick succession.
After a goal is kicked the ball is returned to the middle and the whole game changes.
I can just as easily say if Melbourne kicks any of the shots they missed we go on to win by ten goals.
The 'actual' game changes, yes, but the trend of the game would continue. And if the trend of the game continued as it had been, and they had have kicked in line with their normal conversion, then the win would have been sizeable.

They thumped us in every aspect of the game except for the scoreboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back