Alex Carey???

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 20, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Hello newcomers!

Can anyone shed any light as to how this kid is going?

Dominated for GWS in the TAC comopetition in 2010, havn't heard much about him this year however.

Has he earnt a spot on the senior/rookie list for next season?

Was an immense talent coming out of SA a few years ago, someone many of us believed would go as high as the 2nd round (despite his lack of pace).

Overall just keen to hear anyone's assessment of how he's performed this season, and where he's positioned heading into 2012 if he's a chance to make the cut.

Cheers guys.

Played against this guy at a junior level, very good player. Was a little suprised of the hype surrounding him, but obviously developed alot further than my expectations. Very smooth mover and has been playing sport at a high level since a young age (played A-grade cricket at age 15-16 I believe). Would be interested to hear how he's doing also.

played most of the year in the 1's, got in the best once or twice. struggled with a hip complaint that hes had for the last couple of years. dont think he's officially been added to the list for next year but would be unlucky to miss out.

was named in the best more than just once or twice - really like the look of him - picked very early by my four year old son as his favourite player so I've kept an eye on him and I have really liked what I've seen - should definitely play next year.

Alex was home in Adelaide watching his grassroots club (Flagstaff Hill) win their way through to the Prelim Final on the weekend.

I don't think he's going back to Sydney :(

Alex was home in Adelaide watching his grassroots club (Flagstaff Hill) win their way through to the Prelim Final on the weekend.

I don't think he's going back to Sydney :(

Is that just because he went home during the off season or is it based on something more - like an actual conversation? My son would like to know.

To be honest I didn't ask this specific question as I heard it was mentioned on 5aa he was returning home to Adelaide, and this isn't something that is usually commented on for guys coming home in their break.
I didn't want to breech the subject in this environment, as Sat & Sunday was more a catch up with everyone while we focussed on supporting our teams within a good finals crowd.

So as your lad isn't mislead, for a certain answer, I'd ask the club

Just a quick update for any GWS fans who are interested...
Alex Carey has been 'training the house down' since returning to the Glenelg Football Club (SANFL)

Ben Reid has joined Glenelg as well, and seems to be fitting into the Adelaide lifestyle with ease.

Good luck for Season 2012 guys. I will continue to keep up with GWS news, and thank you for your support to Alex whilst he was at the club​

So can we clear up any disinformation about Alex Carey ???
Was he delisted or released due to homesickness or inadequate skills, fitness, speed or attitude to be an AFL player ?

What was his size and posi on field ?

Alex is a mid-fielder / forward.

As far as I am aware he had a 2 year contract which wasn't renewed.
As I said previously he has been training the house down, so isn't carrying an injury atm, but did miss games at the end of last season.
His attitude was spot on, and didn't have a homesickness issue.

But to be honest, it isn't something I have specifcally asked him.
There may be someone within the club who has heard whispers, but I am not going to bring it up with him now, as I am sure he is just focussing on attaining a position in the Glenelg League team, looking forward, not back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like many kids, year in and year out, a club decided he wasn't good enough to make it in the AFL as far as I know.

Good to hear he is enjoying being back home and training well.
As a consolance, it is worth noting that only 5 GC TAC players made it thru onto the GCs second year AFL list - Magin, Thompson, Dixon, Smith, Moss.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-518883.html
(see the second list on the thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back