Toast All-Australian Lions in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

four of our players make the official all-australian squad in 2023!

firefox_TMn8SSyZ6J.png

huge effort and congrats to the boys who have had terrific years and been a big part of our second place finish

who do you think makes the team from here?

McLug not there...has had a good season but others like Gulden are worthy but ifthey put an a Carlton or Adelaide captain on the other wing.....grrrrrr

McLug not there...has had a good season but others like Gulden are worthy but ifthey put an a Carlton or Adelaide captain on the other wing.....grrrrrr
McCluggage had a very average start to the season - certainly played well in the 8 weeks or so.

Why did Luke Jackson make the squad?

I'm sad to predict either 1 or 2 only. Charlie a lock, Lachie did enough the last 2 weeks to get on the bench. Harris should be in but won't make it, and Larkey's 9 against gold coast will prevent Joe from making it.
I agree two but I think Charlie and Harris make it.

I find it really difficult to fairly evaluate Lachie because he has set such a high standard. I just think he’s had too many off games this year in a crowded field of new midfield candidates.

Last edited:
Harris and Charlie will be locks imo. Lachie some hope for the bench but they might figure 2 Lions is enough.

Joe gets knocked so much it's a lot easier to throw a Larkey in there and give the Shinboners a leg up . I think Joe deserves a spot based on his versatility and consistent output in nearly every game but he's not a lover of PR or promoting the game so they won't want him in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sad to predict either 1 or 2 only. Charlie a lock, Lachie did enough the last 2 weeks to get on the bench. Harris should be in but won't make it, and Larkey's 9 against gold coast will prevent Joe from making it.
I think Charlie and Harris make it. Agree regarding Larkey, has scored 71 goals from a team that won three games so I think he deserves selection.

think larkey's massive last month may squeeze joe out

trying to remove the supporter bias i think the other 3 are pretty much locks though

I think this might be the case. I guess Joe being the only forward/ruck in the squad could work in his favour. Pretty hard to leave a forward out after kicking 71 goals but you could argue without the all time spent in the ruck Joe would have kicked a lot more and from a team balance they can just name the one ruck with Joe either forward pocket or on the bench. Whether he makes the final team or not I believe he's had an AA calibre season.

I actually think Harris is the only lock. Charlie, Lachie, and Joe have been variably inconsistent, albeit effective and finding form right when they needed to.

Charlie definitely turned his form around at the right time. He's a lock too imo. Helps that there isn't really another stand out small forward. I think there will be only be the one medium forward and that's unquestionably Greene along with three talls and Petracca on the HFF. Gut feel is Neale makes the bench and Joe misses.

I actually think Harris is the only lock. Charlie, Lachie, and Joe have been variably inconsistent, albeit effective and finding form right when they needed to.

Yeah when I made my post I didn't see that Sam Taylor hadn't made the squad (has to be purely because he didn't play enough games). I'd be surprised if Harris didn't make it now.

Charlie has been inconsistent but he's been back to form the last 4 weeks and has the second most goals of any small forward behind Toby Greene. He was the best small forward in the comp for the first 10 rounds or so.

Charlie definitely turned his form around at the right time. He's a lock too imo. Helps that there isn't really another stand out small forward. I think there will be only be the one medium forward and that's unquestionably Greene along with three talls and Petracca on the HFF. Gut feel is Neale makes the bench and Joe misses.
Yep can't see Joe making it, Charlie Curnow and Tex Walker are locks IMO and if they go a 3rd tall I think Larkey gets the gig.

Charlie is a definite in, 53 goals locks him in as the premium small forward in the comp.

I think Joe could’ve kicked 70 if he didn’t have to ruck or do the team thing
Can’t remember which AFL journo I heard saying it but they said Joe should absolutely make AA for that very reason alone, that is, if you were actually naming a side to play, Joe would play as most teams don’t name two rucks and it’s not like Curnow, Walker, Larkey etc would perform that role yet Jo does.

I still don’t think the selectors will pick him even tho they should.

2023 AFL ALL-AUSTRALIAN SQUAD: Oscar Allen, Noah Anderson, Harris Andrews, Nick Blakey, Marcus Bontempelli, Luke Breust, Zak Butters, Charlie Cameron, Stephen Coniglio, Patrick Cripps, Charlie Curnow, Josh Daicos, Nick Daicos, Joe Daniher, Jordan Dawson, Jordan de Goey, Tim English, Tom Green, Toby Greene, Errol Gulden, Daniel Houston, Luke Jackson, Kyle Langford, Nick Larkey, Tom Liberatore, Rowan Marshall, Dustin Martin, Zach Merrett, Darcy Moore, Lachie Neale, Jai Newcombe, Christian Petracca, Isaac Quaynor, Mason Redman, Connor Rozee, Luke Ryan, Caleb Serong, James Sicily, Jack Sinclair, Tom Stewart, Jack Viney, Taylor Walker, Jacob Weitering, Callum Wilkie.

Agree.

And I think Harris is only a 70-30 chance at that. Some strong key defenders this year.

No way is Charlie a lock. Had a dreadful mid-to-late season slump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back