Sport All things CRICKET

Remove this Banner Ad

My change for next ODI:

Khawaja in for Faulkner (injury).

Gives us an extra batter, we had 3 bowling all-rounders anyway including Faulkner (still M. Marsh & Hastings kinda). Still got Hazlewood, Richardson, Hastings, M. Marsh & Maxwell who can bowl, Smith may chip in for a couple overs. Losing Faulkner & his death bowling will be hard considering he was a major factor in keeping NZ to less than 310!

Lineup:

Warner
S. Marsh
Khawaja
Smith
Bailey
Maxwell
M. Marsh
Wade
Hastings
Richardson
Hazlewood

thats why hazelwood in the squad.
Not sold on him either. Not saying he's rubbish but more so when it comes to batting and bowling we are rubbish in all bar one country. Our own.

So I'm that sick of us shutting the bed overseas because we prioritise T20, prepare flat tracks for first class matches, don't drop players or help them improve when they keep getting out to the moving ball, That I no longer care or give credence to anything any of our players achieve here. We bash everyone here, it's all irrelevant. Smith is pumped up as a great, in Aus he is great. In England he's just as fragile as the rest of them.

Give me Root any day of the week. Far better batsmen, as is Williamson. They score everywhere. Ditto Warner. Struggles against a ball that moves but on flat tracks is unbeatable. It needs to be fixed and fixed now.

Haven't won on the subcontinent against India or Pakistan since 2001, the same year we last won in England. This s**t needs to end so I'll rate players who show they can succeed overseas where it matters. Hazlewood was average in the last Ashes away so the jury imo should still be out on him.

Smith is pumped up as a great, in Aus he is great. In England he's just as fragile as the rest of them.

Give me Root any day of the week. Far better batsmen, as is Williamson. They score everywhere. Ditto Warner. Struggles against a ball that moves but on flat tracks is unbeatable. It needs to be fixed and fixed now.

Being a bit harsh on Smith there aren't you NSFB (or a bit generous on the other three) his record away from home is comfortably ahead of them all with an average of 55.92 compared to Roots 46.54, Williamson's 43.91 and Warner's 40.07.

Being a bit harsh on Smith there aren't you NSFB (or a bit generous on the other three) his record away from home is comfortably ahead of them all with an average of 55.92 compared to Roots 46.54, Williamson's 43.91 and Warner's 40.07.
I don't agree.

The knock on many of our players is that they struggle against good teams and/or when the ball moves. Smith averages 43 in England (which I regard as our most important away series) propped up by two tons on the usually flat and abrasive Oval, both of which were in dead rubbers. The Lord's ton was on a pitch that all and sundry in the British commentariat criticised as being Un-English in nature and played into our hands, was a docile pitch.

On the more spicier pitches which aided swing (Cardiff, Edgbaston and Trent Bridge) Smith's scores were 33, 33, 7, 8, 6, 5 which is just over 15 per innings. 2013 at Chester Le Street (Durham) and Nottingham (Trent Bridge) which were also swing friendly 53, 17, 17, 2 @ 22 per innings. Much doubts there imo.

Average of 40 in India with one 50 in 4 innings. Long story short I'm sick of our flat track bullies and Smith is also in that category.

I don't agree.

The knock on many of our players is that they struggle against good teams and/or when the ball moves. Smith averages 43 in England (which I regard as our most important away series) propped up by two tons on the usually flat and abrasive Oval, both of which were in dead rubbers. The Lord's ton was on a pitch that all and sundry in the British commentariat criticised as being Un-English in nature and played into our hands, was a docile pitch.

On the more spicier pitches which aided swing (Cardiff, Edgbaston and Trent Bridge) Smith's scores were 33, 33, 7, 8, 6, 5 which is just over 15 per innings. 2013 at Chester Le Street (Durham) and Nottingham (Trent Bridge) which were also swing friendly 53, 17, 17, 2 @ 22 per innings. Much doubts there imo.

Average of 40 in India with one 50 in 4 innings. Long story short I'm sick of our flat track bullies and Smith is also in that category.

Think you're cherry picking a bit here, you claim Warner is a better batsman because he's unbeatable of a flat track yet knock Smith as a flat track bully, and claim that Root and Williamson are "far better batsman" because they score everywhere yet both average below Smith away from home by a fair margin.

Williamson's record away from home is actually not that flash, 43.91 bolstered by healthy averages against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

Personally reckon Smithy stacks up more then favorably against the three of them.

XI for first Test vs NZ.

Australia XI: David Warner, Joe Burns, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith, Adam Voges, Mitch Marsh, Peter Nevill, Peter Siddle, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird

I like the Bird pick but I hoped he would've come in for Siddle!

Apparently they are worried about Pattinson's shin soreness but that doesn't make sense because he bowled quite a few overs in the Shield game he played before they pulled him out to get ready for NZ?... Very confusing.

Oh well hopefully Siddle gets smashed so we can bring Sayers in for him.

Think you're cherry picking a bit here, you claim Warner is a better batsman because he's unbeatable of a flat track yet knock Smith as a flat track bully, and claim that Root and Williamson are "far better batsman" because they score everywhere yet both average below Smith away from home by a fair margin.

Williamson's record away from home is actually not that flash, 43.91 bolstered by healthy averages against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

Personally reckon Smithy stacks up more then favorably against the three of them.
Never claimed Warner was better at all. They're both flat track bullies

Smith is the 4-5th best bat in the world imo. Behind Root, A.B De Villiers and Kohli and roughly similar to Williamson.

Averages and ratings beg to differ.
It's fine to say that as your opinion but the facts unfortunately don't agree.
I'm judging off my eyes, my eyes tell me they're suspect against the moving ball. More so than others.

XI has been named with Pattinson in for Siddle the only change. I wanted that to happen even if Siddle wasn't injured. Bird needs more than 1 Test to show his stuff so give him another go for this Test :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm judging off my eyes, my eyes tell me they're suspect against the moving ball. More so than others.

Although that's probably true regarding Smith, you're focusing on one aspect of his game, the same could most likely be said about most batsmen these days, put them on a pitch that does a bit and they'll look less competent.

With an overall average of 58.69 (57.72 away, 43.31 in England) I find it hard to see how you could rate Williamson as a far better batsman with an average of 48.64 (43.91 away, 30.87 in England) or have Kohli ahead of him, 44.02 (43 away, 13.04 in England)

Have loved watching this test match.
Had everything.
Amazing catches, momentum shifts, McCullum's final test fastest test century ever. Beautiful.
Still 130 runs to win, wouldn't be surprised if we reach it after another momentum shift where we lose a couple wickets but hopefully one of Burns/Khawaja can stay in whole time :)

I thought it was ordinary and a no contest.

Towards the end sure was a bit more of a no contest.
But started with us having momentum early, then McCullum hits fastest Test century ever & NZ regain some of the momentum.
Then we bat & get the momentum back our way with some quality batting from Burns, Smith & Voges to have a pretty big lead by the time we were all out.
Then it looked like we were going to wrap it up easy before Williamson & Anderson steadied for NZ then along with Henry & Watling set the Aussies an awkward chasing target of 200 which we've seen teams collapse before chasing.
But we were good enough to reach target with only a few wickets down. Sure it got a bit slow towards the end but I loved the Test.

What a way to spend my day off tomorrow, streaming the Shield.

Vics beat the bottom placed Tassie and the home final..... In Alice Springs... is all but sewn up!

I'm not one for watching livestreams but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on how the NSW vs SA game goes in particular.

The Hughesy Sheffield Shield tribute match between the two sides, nice gesture. Hope Sean Abbott can have a good game for it :thumbsu:

I'm not one for watching livestreams but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on how the NSW vs SA game goes in particular.

The Hughesy Sheffield Shield tribute match between the two sides, nice gesture. Hope Sean Abbott can have a good game for it :thumbsu:
The CA streams have vastly improved. I'm watching with a HDMI cable into the TV.

The SA stream is the gold standard, score box and commentary.

Tassie also has commentary. The live streaming is probably better than Ch9 coverage anyway :D

The results from the just completed round of Shield cricket have made it interesting anyway.
You would think Victoria will finish top still, with a few states fighting it out for 2nd place.
I'm hoping Wa can sneak in with a couple of late wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back