Movie Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania

Remove this Banner Ad

Rudd and Newton kinda reminds me of the father-daughter Gordo & Joanie Clark on Halt and Catch Fire, especially that gruff "I don't have to win, we both just have to lose" which I could imagine in McNairy's voice.

Gee idk. Ant-Man has always been my fave MCU film, and this looks a bit too big and overdone for my tastes, and you never go full Quantum. Suspect it wont be quite the same pushed into the limelight like this, it was more our secret before. But given I dug the first two I'll be keen to check this out anyway.

How have the box office returns been for Marvel films post-Endgame?

What movies flopped and what succeeded?

MCU isn't dead until they start flopping like Ronaldo.
I don’t know for sure but I presume Shang Chi (Im sure that did good money during covid too). Spider man no way home and Wakanda Forever all did okay.

Dr.Strange middling.

The rest varying shades of poor.

Just got back and I liked it and particularly loved Kang.

There’s no forced humour in this, unlike the last Thor, and this movie is taking itself a bit more seriously(obviously to set Kang up) while still being fun.

Two end credit scenes. Worth staying for as they set up the immediate future of the MCU.

I didn’t love what they did with MODOK, but I can accept it.

Kang met a pretty weird and humorous end. Being sucked into the core like that, which was a bit half-arsed.

The Council of Kang scene was great!

Absolute s**t

Cassie and the barbarian chick couldn’t act to save their lives

The writing was horrible

The CGI was terrible

I’m done with the MCU only looking forward to deadpool and x-men and F4

Absolute garbage the MCU is atm

Thought Kathryn Newton was good in Freaky. She didn't have much to work with in this.

It was not a good movie. First act was alright in a sort of 80's b-movie Star Wars knock-off kind of way, but began to drag very quickly once Kang turned up.

Everything with Modok was extremely awkward. The movie had no idea what to do with him and apparently the writers thought the character was enough of a joke that they didn't need to write actual jokes themselves.

What I found most weird was how the movie seemed to get bored with its own theme halfway though. It sets up Cassie as a bit of a rebel, getting arrested at protests and Scott as the overprotective Dad but then does nothing with it. Really, none of the main cast had a character arc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna discuss this with other whom i booked tickets with....refund or not
... dont do it man. The quality of the film and your enjoyment of it isnt on the cinema.

If they ****ed up the projection or seating or whatever then sure but people who ask for refunds cause they didnt like the film are truly the worst.

... dont do it man. The quality of the film and your enjoyment of it isnt on the cinema.

If they ****ed up the projection or seating or whatever then sure but people who ask for refunds cause they didnt like the film are truly the worst.
i havent seen it yet

What do I need to watch before I see this? I haven't watched an Antman for years, completely forgotten the movies.

Can I just go in and watch this and pick things up?

What do I need to watch before I see this? I haven't watched an Antman for years, completely forgotten the movies.

Can I just go in and watch this and pick things up?
The main thing worth noting is it explains what Michelle Pfieffer was up to in the second movie before they found her. There are a couple of references to the first movie but it does a pretty good job of having a "Previously on Ant-Man" montage for that. End Game is also mentioned a couple of times.

Not having a crack on anyone, but is expectation if you don't want to be spoiled, don't visit the thread? Or any mild to blatant references to the movie should be in tags?

Not having a crack on anyone, but is expectation if you don't want to be spoiled, don't visit the thread? Or any mild to blatant references to the movie should be in tags?
I think thus far the thread has applied to the spoiler policy. Can change it to a spoiler thread if preferred (or someone can start a spoilered one)

I think anything in the trailer and basic setup/premises are fair game. What in the thread do you consider a spoiler?

Sorry guys - incoming negative review:
It's bad.
Marvel needs to seriously rejig their creative process. Almost everything they've put out in the last 2 or so years has felt rushed and convoluted. This one feels like the culmination of that, just going through the motions of what super hero movies have been like over the last 10 years, doing so without any care or consideration, completely benign.
It's pretty much 2.5hrs of actors standing in front of green screens without any props doing improv comedy, interlaced between a couple action set pieces.
The main positive is the villain - Kang, it does a good job selling us on him as the next big bad of the MCU, and that ends up feeling like the only reason this film was made. He doesn't really come into his own until the final act, in which the movie got its s**t together and became somewhat entertaining.

Marvel needs to start giving more autonomy to creatives. Right now it is so obviously being micromanaged by film executives, so the movies end up being slogfests that connect with no one, in an attempt to appeal to everyone. Seeing movies like Top Gun Maverick, Avatar 2, The Batman show what modern blockbusters can be like when studios let creatives do their thing has really shined a light on how dire the situation is with MCU movies. It is such a divide in quality that it almost feels like film vs tv quality.
I've been watching these movies since I was 12 in 2008, and am not a hater at all - I really hope they get their s**t together, cos right now Marvel movies are a bunch of arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back