Anthony Hudson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 23 Bris v WCE @ the Gabba.
One of the most enjoyable games to watch. The crowd were really into it, the fortunes of the teams swung backwards and forwards and was finally decided by the last point of the game. Huddo's call of the game was terrific, he greatly enhanced the spectacle and entertainment through his commentary.

I am watching Carlton vs Roos right now and i have noticed that Anthony Hudson, now im pretty sure it is him, it could be Gerald Healy, but I think its Hudson, he is constantly like sucking in his breath, making this noise with his mouth. It is extremely irritating to say the least> im all fine with commentary and Hudson normally is ok to listen too, not the best, but not the worst, gets overexcited way too much, but still he could be BT or Brereton. Im thinking it could be Gerard Healy now actually. Im pretty sure he doesnt know that he is doing it, its like an involuntary loud breath, but FFS it is completely annoying, especially when listening in surround sound. if its Healy then its time to put in out to pasture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont mind him and I'm not sure if this is an increasing occurrence or not but he was constantly squealing like a little girl and even though there was excitement in the game he came across as fake.

Caught the last quarter of the Pies/Adel game and couldn't believe how bad his commentary was. I've never been a huge fan, but this was terrible, cringey stuff.

Most overrated commentator in the game for mine.
Used to be ok, but now seems very self absorbed - smug as others have said.
‘Barracks’ for teams and individual players in his calls like an excited school kid. But my biggest issue with him is that he seems to constantly be looking to slip in the next ‘clever’ line, which in fact results in calls which sound rehearsed and pathetic.

Most overrated commentator in the game for mine.
Used to be ok, but now seems very self absorbed - smug as others have said.
‘Barracks’ for teams and individual players in his calls like an excited school kid. But my biggest issue with him is that he seems to constantly be looking to slip in the next ‘clever’ line, which in fact results in calls which sound rehearsed and pathetic.

This is what happened with Peter Drury and then he left ITV to become freelance and greatly improved as a commentator.
Nonetheless, I'd still rather have Huddo than this latest trend of the likes of Montagna and Brown worming their way in.

that's all we can ask for out of our commentators, during the crucial last minute of a close game with finals implications we need shitty puns about unwanted marital sex

My wife doesn't follow footy, doesn't really have an opinion on the coverage one way or the other - but even she commented, from another room, on Hudson's commentary while I was watching the Hawks/Dogs game. It's just so over the top, his raised voice/shouting is like nails on a blackboard.

Thinking about it, Hudson is getting into McAvaney territory.

IMHO, in the last 10 years or so of him calling games, McAvaney's commentary declined quite dramatically.

The fawning over players was embarrassing and the often homoerotic commentary just seemed 'off'.

An opinion shared by many on this site.

Hudson, by constantly trying to be a smart-ar*e instead of dropping in the occasional 'humerous' comment (which is perfectly OK), is getting into the caricature territory.

We are now expecting the Hudson Zinger. Instead of it being a surprise and having more impact, it's more the scripted, lame, roll-your-eyes kind of stuff.

He needs to pull his head in, or he will be remembered for the last part of his career, rather than the excellent caller he was 20 years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back