Danger Zone

Remove this Banner Ad

i-want-to-believe.jpg

If it costs you 2 and 3 and a mill in cap room, are you still in ?

Who else are we going to pay, seriously. I wasn't even aware this was a rumour, any links to unsubstantiated rumour mongering?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why thank you sir.

I dont think it will get Adelaide over the line, but it's defensible.

This is my logic - Danger is as good as it gets. When you take a high draft pick, you are hoping for a player like him, and there are so many things that can go wrong.

Therefore, a top 3 pick - Brayshaw, in other words - is unders. And Toumpas doesnt compensate for that risk IMO.

Now, that said, your bid is playing hardball - its betting Adelaide think they cant re-sign Danger, and his compo will be a first round pick of around #6 (they are kinda OK, with a home field advantage). Given that thinking, they should grab the #3 and the steak knives.

And I admire hardball.

This is my logic - Danger is as good as it gets. When you take a high draft pick, you are hoping for a player like him, and there are so many things that can go wrong.

Therefore, a top 3 pick - Brayshaw, in other words - is unders. And Toumpas doesnt compensate for that risk IMO.

Now, that said, your bid is playing hardball - its betting Adelaide think they cant re-sign Danger, and his compo will be a first round pick of around #6 (they are kinda OK, with a home field advantage). Given that thinking, they should grab the #3 and the steak knives.

And I admire hardball.
Toumpas isn't exactly steak knives to us though. Given injuries, our poor development culture, etc his trade value is much lower than what his true value could be.

And I admire hardball.
They can have Tapscott too, plus I'm sure there are a few other SA lads we have squirreled away at Casey to throw in. Can anyone top that bid?

Toumpas isn't exactly steak knives to us though. Given injuries, our poor development culture, etc his trade value is much lower than what his true value could be.

I'll put it this way. If you offered #2+#3, I think Adelaide say 'yes'.

If you offer #2 or #3 and Toumpas, I think Adelaide say 'We will take our chances'.

In this deal, he's steak knives. Me, I think he is steak knives worth keeping, but he's steak knives.

I'll put it this way. If you offered #2+#3, I think Adelaide say 'yes'.

If you offer #2 or #3 and Toumpas, I think Adelaide say 'We will take our chances'.

In this deal, he's steak knives. Me, I think he is steak knives worth keeping, but he's steak knives.
Either way we're not going to give up both #2 and #3, and certainly not if we can trade them individually to other clubs like we did last year. Even Judd only got West Coast #3, Kennedy (who to that point hadn't really shown anything despite being a #4 pick) and a second rounder. Dangerfield isn't Judd.

Either way we're not going to give up both #2 and #3, and certainly not if we can trade them individually to other clubs like we did last year. Even Judd only got West Coast #3, Kennedy (who to that point hadn't really shown anything despite being a #4 pick) and a second rounder. Dangerfield isn't Judd.

As I said - defensible.

Are you in on #2 and Toumpas for Danger ?

As I said - defensible.

Are you in on #2 and Toumpas for Danger ?
Nah - it's not a good look to be trading young players unless they want to leave, and from day 1 Toumpas has been extremely enthusiastic about the club. Hasn't had a proper run at things yet either. Midfielders who can kick goals from 60m out like he did in his junior days don't grow on trees. If Adelaide want something for Dangerfield rather than lose him for just AFL compo (around pick #10 assuming a similar finish in 2014) it has to be reasonable, especially when the midfielders in this year's draft look like quality readymade prospects. We need good young players too, or there's going to be a substantial gap in a few years in the 20-23 age bracket on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back