Are there any mature-aged gems in the 2010 VFL Team of the Year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jono Prout

Senior List
Nov 26, 2009
bundoora
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2010 VFL Team of the year

B: Michael Stockdale (Casey), Peter Faulks (Williamstown), Adam Iacobucci (Nthn Bullants)

HB: Michael Hibberd (Frankston), Sam Pleming (Port Melbourne), Cam Richardson (Nth Ballarat)

C: Ben Davies (Williamstown), Brett Johnson (Williamstown), Sam Power (Coburg)

HF: David Swallow (Gold Coast), Callum Sinclair (Port Melbourne), Stevie Clifton (Nth Ballarat)

F: Zac Smith (Gold Coast), Matt Little (Williamstown), Shane Valenti (Port Melbourne)

R: Orren Stephenson (Nth Ballarat), Myles Sewell (Nth Ballarat), Ed Curnow (Box Hill)

I/C: Russ Gabriel (Frankston), Dom Gleeson (Werribee), James Wall (Casey), Toby Pinwill (Port Melbourne), Jonathon Simpkin (Geelong), Ben Jolley (Williamstown)

We need a tall defender and a ruckman... does anybody know amything about the above highlighted names?

Are they worth chasing?

Does anyone know anything about Orren Stephenson... he must be half-decent to be VFL no.1 ruck?

I like Peter Faulks, was on Sydney's list a few years back but has really developed this year. Is a good height (about 192cm if I remember correctley) and moves really well. Still only young at 21. Can play on talls but provides good run and spend a lot of time further up the ground this year, he started on a wing a couple of times during the year.

He's similar to Gilham and Stratton which seems to appeal to our recruiters. I have seen him do a couple of solid jobs on some of the better vfl forwards. Seems to have a long reach which comes in handy against the big forwards, he also seems to be filling out a bit.

In think he is well worth a look. I think Ed Curnow has also earnt a recall to the AFL.

Stephenson is regarded as the best credentialled Ruck in the VFL, performed well in the last 3 campaigns. Dominated Robbie in the Prelim a few weeks back from memory. Is a big unit, 201cm and over 100kg.

Apparently does pretty well in the time trials too. Wouldd be worth a look but there must be something there if he hasn't been picked up so far.....

Mature Rookie anyone??

Does anyone know anything about Orren Stephenson... he must be half-decent to be VFL no.1 ruck?

I believe that it literally came down to a flip of the coin between Orren Stephenson and Wayde Skipper last year it was that close.

I think the club preferred Skippers mobility in the end.

I remember hearing Orren interviewed on SEN during the year and he mentioned how disappointed he was to have missed out on the Hawthorn rookie spot.

I like Peter Faulks, was on Sydney's list a few years back but has really developed this year. Is a good height (about 192cm if I remember correctley) and moves really well. Still only young at 21. Can play on talls but provides good run and spend a lot of time further up the ground this year, he started on a wing a couple of times during the year.

He's similar to Gilham and Stratton which seems to appeal to our recruiters. I have seen him do a couple of solid jobs on some of the better vfl forwards. Seems to have a long reach which comes in handy against the big forwards, he also seems to be filling out a bit.

In think he is well worth a look. I think Ed Curnow has also earnt a recall to the AFL.
faulks is just what we need.

One who didn't play enough games to make the VFL Team of the Year but is a definite to watch out for is Isaac Smith.

6"3 - 21 yrs old - plays for North Ballarat. Had a great finals campaign.

Showed great explosive pace. Great run and carry. Plenty of upside. Plays wing, hff.

Downsides would be that he does not get enough of the ball. This would come down to more of positioning and reading of the play then endurance.

I think North Melbourne would be watching him very closely and are the front runners to pick him up.

B: Michael Stockdale (Casey), Peter Faulks (Williamstown), Adam Iacobucci (Nthn Bullants)

HB: Michael Hibberd (Frankston), Sam Pleming (Port Melbourne), Cam Richardson (Nth Ballarat)

HF: David Swallow (Gold Coast), Callum Sinclair (Port Melbourne), Stevie Clifton (Nth Ballarat)

F: Zac Smith (Gold Coast), Matt Little (Williamstown), Shane Valenti (Port Melbourne)

R: Orren Stephenson (Nth Ballarat), Myles Sewell (Nth Ballarat), Ed Curnow (Box Hill)

I/C: Russ Gabriel (Frankston), Dom Gleeson (Werribee), James Wall (Casey), Toby Pinwill (Port Melbourne), Jonathon Simpkin (Geelong), Ben Jolley (Williamstown)

We need a tall defender and a ruckman... does anybody know amything about the above highlighted names?

Are they worth chasing?

Apparently Stevie Clifton was runner-up or third in the vfl best player award this year...Or maybe even the winner... Not sure what kind of player he is though.

One who didn't play enough games to make the VFL Team of the Year but is a definite to watch out for is Isaac Smith.

6"3 - 21 yrs old - plays for North Ballarat. Had a great finals campaign.

Showed great explosive pace. Great run and carry. Plenty of upside. Plays wing, hff.

Downsides would be that he does not get enough of the ball. This would come down to more of positioning and reading of the play then endurance.

I think North Melbourne would be watching him very closely and are the front runners to pick him up.

Isaac is a real gem, I would expect us to go for him, he trained with the club late in the season. He is one that might go in the second round he has that much of an upside. GC would have been all over him like a fly on s**t if he had previously nominated for the draft.

Cam Richardson has been pre-listed by the GC, another NB boy. 190cm rebounding defender, had a great year. He said he didn't want to play with GC and wants to play with North so we may be able to get him off GC on Monday with a bit of luck.

One of the boons of being affiliated with Ballarat is it is a great region for producing talented footballers and we get a pretty good look at them.

I think someone like Richmond who are totally devoid in the ruck should go after Stephenson, he would walk in and be their #1 ruckman.

In regards to Orren:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ruckman-chasing-his-afl-dream-20100507-ujqr.html

Ruckman chasing his AFL dream Brent Diamond
May 8, 2010

VFL
NORTH BALLARAT: The VFL's top ruckman Orren Stephenson has watched Hawthorn battle with one fit ruckman and wished he could jump in and fill the void.

The 27-year-old, who trained with Hawthorn over the pre-season before the Hawks chose Wayde Skipper ahead of him in last year's rookie draft, is hoping for third time lucky after a pre-season stint with Carlton in 2007. "I was at the game in Ballarat when Simon [Taylor] went down. I thought there's an opportunity there and Skip will get a game here," he said.

Advertisement: Story continues below Skipper will come back from a hamstring injury through the Box Hill Hawks tomorrow.

Stephenson said he was "frustrated" after missing out at the Hawks. "I'm married and with three kids and I work full-time [as an electrician] and the main breadwinner. I had to talk about what a rookie pay would be," he said.

At 200 centimetres and 104 kilograms, Stephenson has been the obvious pick for state team selection against Western Australia on May 22. The former Redan player, who plays a similar ruck style to that of Western Bulldog Ben Hudson, said he has renewed ambitions to play AFL after the success of Michael Barlow, Alex Silvagni and James Podsiadly this season.

"Coming into last season, I wasn't going to nominate [for the draft]. I thought my time was over," he said. "There's a bit more interest this year and it's probably because of the two new clubs coming in and we're starting to see the emergence of players who haven't come from TAC Cup lists.

"The Pod [Podsiadly] is about 12 months older than me and he's set the world on fire a bit. I never say never," he said.

He will miss this week's game for North Ballarat against Frankston with a groin complaint.

~ Yaelius

Are they worth chasing?

Isaac Smith will be the first state-league player read out on draft day, possibly as high as low 30's.

He's every bit as promising as Gary Rohan imo, with the depreciation being the fact he is 21 already.

Cam Richardson wouldn't have been far behind him.

Richardson is just about the only VFL player listed in the "top draftee prospects" of each position on the AFL website.

I suggest all of.

Sewell
Curnow
Faulks (already at Freo)
Sinclair
Little
Stockdale

Could be on AFL lists next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isaac Smith will be the first state-league player read out on draft day, possibly as high as low 30's.

Cam Richardson wouldn't have been far behind him.

Richardson is just about the only VFL player listed in the "top draftee prospects" of each position on the AFL website.

I suggest all of.

Sewell
Curnow
Faulks (already at Freo)
Sinclair
Little
Stockdale

Could be on AFL lists next year.

You know what you will get with sewell, would be a handy winger.
League B&F, GF BOG.. Could be a similar development to that of Mitch a few years back.
Hope to get him, massive asset

You know what you will get with sewell, would be a handy winger.
League B&F, GF BOG.. Could be a similar development to that of Mitch a few years back.
Hope to get him, massive asset

I assume he has already been pre-listed by the GC.

Meaning the only chance to get him, is by trading for him over the next 3 days.

Stephenson is regarded as the best credentialled Ruck in the VFL, performed well in the last 3 campaigns. Dominated Robbie in the Prelim a few weeks back from memory. Is a big unit, 201cm and over 100kg.

Apparently does pretty well in the time trials too. Wouldd be worth a look but there must be something there if he hasn't been picked up so far.....

Mature Rookie anyone??
He doesn't want to go on a rookie list.

What happened to Markovic? Box Hill, went to the Doggies...?

Tell you what, Isaac Smith looks like an absolute gun. A pacey outside player like him is just what we need.

He does sound good. There are a lot of reports though about a few of the clubs with picks before us also very keen on him. Geelong, Essendon, Carlton. Not sure if the bombers will take him with pick 8 though.

Tell you what, Isaac Smith looks like an absolute gun. A pacey outside player like him is just what we need.

Yep he would be a good get, at 21 he would slot right in too. His stocks are rising though, I read somewhere Geelong were looking at picking him up at 15!. If we want him it will have to be our 1st pick and even then he might not last, with Nth and Cats ahead of us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back