Delisted Arryn Siposs

Remove this Banner Ad

Code:
Pos Number Player       Age    Games    Price        2010                   
                        DT     SC     Played    DT Avg    SC Avg   
FWD  2 SIPOSS, Arryn    18    0    $92,500    $103,600 0    0.0    0.0

Siposs played in the TAC Cup for the Dandenong Stingrays in 2010. He averaged 14.4 disposals, 2.7 marks inside 50 and 2.5 ball gets inside 50 per game. He finished with 34 goals for the season, ranked fifth in the competition.

John Peake, recruiting manager for the Saints had this to say about his recruitment:

"Arryn kicked 99 goals for Beaconsfield last year and sure, that's not the AFL, but he's shown that he's a goalkicker and at 188cm we feel he's a good fit for our forward line. We're a little bit conscious of the size thing and we want to make sure that we have a good mix.

"He got in on his ability and his goalkicking but the 188cm was a real seller for us.

"He got injured for Dandenong in the finals so he didn't test at the Combine unfortunately so there is a little bit of an unknown there, but he has got talent."

First year player - will probably spend most of his first season at Sandringham

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/siposss-talents-rise-to-surface/story-e6frf9jf-1226052136130

The medium-sized forward had kicked three goals to steer his under-16 side to back-to-back premierships, ending with 99 majors, including a haul of 16.4.

He was on the Dandenong Stingrays' radar, but coach Graeme Yeats said "we just didn't invite him in for whatever reason".

It was not until the late bloomer kicked eight goals for Hallam in a school match against a Wodonga line-up boasting seven Murray Bushrangers that he was considered worthy of a Stingrays listing.

And after just four VFL appearances some recruiting pundits have concluded the Saints have jagged a diamond in the rough by snaring Siposs at No.75 in last year's draft.

Torn hip cartilage ruled him out of physical testing at the draft combine, clubs were unsure whether his meteoric rise would continue.

Yeats said elements that Siposs's game lacked included second efforts, competitiveness and agility.

But Saints football manager Greg Hutchison said he has vastly improved over summer.

Yeats "He doesn't miss (when kicking for goal). He's a really good pack mark for his size. He's got a great pair of hands. He sees the game really well and he's a reasonable hit-up player," Yeats "If he can find 5-10kg and compete one-on-one he's going to be hard to stop."

[YOUTUBE]zpxT-mWyIfg[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/113716/default.aspx

ARRYN Siposs approached last Monday's clash with Carlton as he would any other game day, even though he was about to live out the dream of thousands of boys around Australia.

After an impressive string of games with VFL club Sandringham, Siposs was set to make his AFL debut with St Kilda, the club he had passionately followed all his life.

As with most surreal encounters, Siposs said his concept of time was completely haywire.

"On the Monday it took forever because you're waiting just to get to the ground to get ready to go," Siposs told saints.com.au.

"Once you're at the ground it goes pretty quick from there. You do all your normal stuff to prepare for a game and things like that.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/113809/default.aspx

130511_siposs_ICarticle.jpg

Monday

I was really excited to be selected to play my first game of footy for the St Kilda Football Club after supporting the team growing up as a kid.

I got up and had breakfast before heading down to the Club and got in the ice baths to make sure the body was ready for the game.

I arrived at the ground at about 5:15pm. My nerves were up and down and I really just wanted to get out there. The guys were fantastic, they all got around me and congratulated me which made me feel better.

It was an amazing feeling to walk out there, see the banner and see fans everywhere around the stadium.

Tuesday

In the morning we did our own personal recoveries; I went down to my local beach.

Adam Kingsley spoke to me about my performance on the Monday night. We sat down and went over my game ‘edits’ and he was very positive. He said that it was a great effort for my first game. Kingers outlined that I went to the right spots, but also said there are still things we will continue to work on. Overall I was happy and hopefully I will keep my spot.

Wednesday

We were in at the club at 9am. We did a weights session first, followed by some flush runs and further recovery.

Thursday

We had footy development in the morning where we did some boxing work. Following that session we had another meeting to look at more positives and negatives from the Round 7 performance.

At 2pm in the afternoon I had my first interview with media outside of the Club. Luke Holmesby, a journalist from the AFL website came down to the Linen House Centre and interviewed me. It was a new experience, but it was good to put my media skills to the test after our media training earlier in the season.

Friday

Today we had an early weights session ahead of our main training. Main training was held during the pouring rain, which made things interesting.

Thanks for reading my blog.

The finger pointing in the sky was in honour of his grandfather who never got to see him play his first game of AFL footy. he also has some ink just below his ribcage in honour of is Grandfather who passed in 2007

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: 2011 Player Reviews

Arryn Siposs

After just four VFL appearances made his debut in the Saints Round 7 clash against Carlton. His first goal was a absolute cracker from inside the centre square. Arryn went on to play 5 games in 2011, which is probably more then most would have expected for someone selected at Pick 75 in the draft. But Arryn showed he has potential to be a absolute steal for the Saints. Arryn kicked 5 goals in his 5 games and averaged 6.6 disposals, 3 marks & 1.4 tackles per game.

Arryn unfortunately suffered shin splints which forced him to sit out the entire 2nd half of the season, only making it back for a couple VFL games late in the season.

Siposs looks like he will have a great career at the Saints and will become integral part of their forward line for many years to come.

130511_siposs_ICarticle.jpg

2012 Season Review

Siposs, Arryn.
AFL Kicks Per Match: 9.o.
AFL Hand-passes Per Match: 4.2
AFL Marks Per Match: 5.3
AFL Goals Per Match: 0.8
AFL Tackles Per Match: 1.7

VFL Kicks Per Match: 12.1
VFL Hand-passes per match: 4.7
VFL Marks Per Match: 4.1
VFL Goals Per Match: 1.3
VFL Tackles Per Match: 3.1

Arryn Siposs has developed well as a player in 2012. The young Saint started to show a great deal of potential, earning a NAB Rising Star Nomination in one of his 11 AFL matches this season. During the club’s round 15 win against Essendon, Siposs became just the 5th Saint in eight years to earn a Rising Star Nomination. The accolade was well deserved, the youngster gathered 17 touches, took six marks and kicked two goals in a pleasing performance. Arryn has shown potential in numerous positions throughout the year, he has played as a defender and as a midfielder in addition to his regular position of half-forward flank. Siposs, the Saint with a golden boot, has showed plenty and proven he can become a vital for the Saints moving forward.
sipossa.jpg

Funny that you put a picture from the Hawthorn game this year. I can vividly remember people calling for his head after that game and saying he'll never make it even though I'm pretty sure it was his first game for the year. And look at him now, could one day be our best player.

Very emotional game footy is.

Siposs, who has played just 16 games for the Saints, said he was happy to play anywhere coach Scott Watters put him.
“As long as I can get my name on the field and play regularly footy that’s all that really matters to me at the moment,” Siposs said at Yarrawonga’s J.C. Lowe Oval yesterday.
“I’m still trying to find my feet and get myself in a spot where I can play regular footy.
“Whether that’s up forward, or down back, or on the wing, or in the middle doesn’t really bother me.
“I’m happy to put myself in any spot and challenge myself.
“It all depends on how Scotty wants to structure the team, really.
“I have spent most of my time in the backline over the pre-season and if something comes of that then that’s great.”

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/1372648/siposs-happy-just-to-be-playing-footy/?cs=10

"I reckon Arryn Siposs (will take over his role)," Gwilt said.

"He’s come from the forward line, he’s been playing half-back and (up to) the wing almost.

"So I reckon he’s the one that has stepped-up over the pre-season with his running and his training.

"He’s been in really good form in the NAB Cup, so I reckon 'Sippo' is the one that will step up I reckon."

Gwilt said the ability of Siposs to hit targets coming out of the backline would see him used as one of the club’s designated kickers.

"His skills are vital for us," Gwilt said.

"Especially with him being that defensive player that he is, and also on the wing coming through the midfield.

"We want to get the ball in his hands, because he’s such a super-long kick too, so he’s got really good skills."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-21/siposs-hailed-as-new-goddard?utm_medium=RSS

Nice little piece on Arryn: http://is.gd/K9VPbX

Arryn Siposs tagged as man to take Brendon Goddard's role in St Kilda defence

He has trained with St Kilda's defensive group over summer and ticks all the boxes. He is a strong mark for his size, is a skilful distributor of the ball and has a penetrating kick that can clear the next line. He can take his turn in the midfield, or be deployed as a forward capable of pinching a couple of goals.
The Saints certainly gave him plenty of time to grow into the new role with Siposs playing more minutes (346) than any of his teammates in the NAB Cup.
Siposs grew up a fanatical Saints fan and recalls watching TV and marvelling at Goddard's contribution during the 2010 drawn Grand Final.
He therefore feels a little uneasy about the Goddard comparisons, but acknowledges the vacancy sign over that job position.
"That's obviously one of the options, and if I can be half the player that Brendon Goddard is, I'll be happy," Siposs says.
Fellow defender James Gwilt said this week that Siposs was "the one who has stepped up over the pre-season with his running and his training" and could be that backline go-to man.
"His skills are vital for us," Gwilt said. "Especially with him being that defensive player that he is, and also on the wing coming through the midfield. We want to get the ball in his hands, because he's such a super-long kick too, so he's got really good skills."
"Also, this is my third year at the club and it's the first pre-season I've got through injury-free. So I've felt the difference already in the NAB Cup matches."

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-05-27/consistency-is-the-key-siposs

“There are many things that I need to work on as a forward. Leading is obviously one thing that I need to continue working on, getting front and square and tackling in the forward-line.”

Siposs made his debut in 2011, playing five consecutive games from round seven to round 11, the most AFL matches he has played in a row.

Last year he was utilised in defence as well as in the forward half, and impressed with his foot skills and ability to mark cleanly overhead.

“I’ve got to keep focussing … week in, week out,”

One player that Siposs is relishing playing alongside is St Kilda skipper Nick Riewoldt. He is a great player and has been a great player for a long time. He just keeps working his heart out I guess. It’s good to be learning off him at the present time … Hopefully he’s got a few more [years] in him.”

#2 Arryn Siposs

After breakout games in the last 2 rounds of 2012 (24 possessions and 10 marks against GWS, followed by a strong game at half back against Carlton), it was widely considered that Siposs was best 22 and on the improve – although there was a fair bit of debate on the board as to which position he was best suited.

But after a fair bit of press in the pre-season (including comparisons to Goddard making him uncomfortable), and a decent game in round 1 (19 possessions, 7 marks and a goal), he struggled in defence – including some very un-Siposs-like kicking - against Richmond and was subbed off.

In rounds 3-5 he was an emergency, and it was during this time that he sustained a shoulder injury. After just one VFL game in round 4 (27 possessions and 8 marks), he was brought back into the AFL team against the filth and kicked 2.3.

His kicking seemed off (1.2 and low DE%) in round 7 against Carlton, and he was the sub in round 8 (8 possessions).

Despite kicking 2 against the Dogs he only had 1 mark, followed by the team getting routed by North (like a number of his teammates, Sippa had no impact).

He went back to the VFL, and the club decided to give him quite alot of midfield time (including centre bounces). This really didn’t suit his game at all and his form was only fair. He remained an emergency for the Saints during most of this time.

After a solid game (in which Sandy thrashed Bendigo’s kids), he was brought back – only to be involved in another thrashing against Geelong. He was the sub the following week and had 11 possessions (but only 1 kick) in a disappointing loss to Brisbane.

The club decided to put a line through his season and he had surgery to get his shoulder fixed.

The experiment with Siposs as a utility wasn’t a success, and whether he ever had the fitness base to execute the plan is questionable (seeing his kicking go “off” was a shock). The shoulder injury was certainly unhelpful, but hopefully a big pre-season will see different results for the (to be) 21 year old – and we can again see him back kicking goals from long range.

556835-afl-round-7-carlton-v-st-kilda-.jpg
285395-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Keep it simple, Siposs
Tom Morris May 9, 2014 4:47 PM

140509_Siposs-620_x_370.jpg

By round eight last season Siposs had played four senior games for four goals. By comparison, he’s been forced to ply his trade in the reserves this year.

Offensively, his game was in decent shape, but once the opposition won the ball, his contributions were limited, laying just five tackles in his first four matches in 2013.

“I’ve probably got a bit of a better mindset towards my game and know what I have to go out there and do,” he says with a self-assuredness that can’t be faked.

“Now I’m confident I can go out and do that.”

“I’ve tried to focus more on the defensive side of my game, getting my tackles up and working hard to put pressure on in the forward half. I feel like I’ve done that for a good four or five weeks now and it feels good.”

This balance between attack and defence is an acquired blend, one that requires countless hours of hard work, maturity and selfless determination. And it’s a mix that has never been more important than it is in today’s game.

“I’ve spoken to Richo every week,” Siposs says, “And he seems to be pretty happy with how I’m going. I just need to keep having that defensive mindset and the rest will work itself out.”

REAL.jpg

The difference in Siposs’ game was evident from late March, when he laid five tackles and kicked two goals in a VFL practice game against the Northern Blues.

“He’s been working a lot on his defence because we’ve been critical at times of him for not applying pressure,” St Kilda assistant coach Paul Hudson said a fortnight later.

“But that part of his game has been really good and his tackling intensity has also been really good.”

RELATED: VFL player breakdown
BOULDER 2013: Video diary - Siposs pushed to the extreme

VIDEO: At home with Siposs
VIDEO: Siposs learning off Riewoldt

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Siposs:

Played the fewest games in a season since his debut.

His goal kicking requires some significant improvement: kicked 2.5 in the AFL and 7.17 in the VFL last year and has kicked 29.40 in his 31 VFL games - an accuracy of just 42%

Averaged 3 marks on the lead in the AFL last year - the 4th most in the AFL (but from only a 3 game sample).

His VFL performance wasn't much better than his AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back