Aussies Aussie watch - Towards Rio

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have 5 competitors competing on Saturday/Sunday in Taekwondo to qualify for the Olympics. Favourites in their weight divisions as well, if they win they go through, if not they miss out. Carmen and Caroline Marton, as well as Safwan Khalil should get through no worries.

Australia will have 4 players competing in Taekwondo in the Olympics after Safwan Khalil, Hayder Shakara, Caroline and Carmen Marton all qualified through the Oceania Qualification.

South Korea are the only Nation that have more competitors with 5.

Track cycling champs are now taking place in London.

Britannias Women have failed to qualify for the team sprint at the Olympics. shows u where their spiriting depth is. Varnish for GB is quick on her own, but outside chances to win a medal in Keirin and individual.

We took gold in the individual pursuit, which is not a Olympic sport(which is complete bull btw). but shows you our depth in the endurance categories, as she(Rebbecca Wiasak) has been the one to not make the team pursuit squad.

The Boys qualified 2nd in the team pursuit, behind GB. I think we have got alot more in us, both here and at the Olympics. we have better riders not at this track championship. So even if we make and then lose the final to GB here, i still think we should be favorites at the big bash. i cant wait for that final.

that is the problem for team GB. we have overtaken them in the TP's, and they lost Hoy and Pendleton in the sprints. Trott will always be a chance in the omnium, but apart from that......

in saying that, at London 2012, the GB cycling team showed nothing great in the lead up events, only to run rampart at the games themselves.

Well, Britannia TP's have been less about a team, and more individual. In both mens and womens, they have left the 3rd rider behind and hence slowed their times, costing both teams. In the mens, it was gold, as we managed to do 2nd fastest time ever to beat them. ths was understandable, they were pushed to the limit. Both teams will improve in Rio. The World Record will be smashed, as Wiggins keeps predicting. I still have us warm favorites in Rio, but one slip up will cost us.

Our girls TP put in a stinker. they qualified 4th with a time of 4:20. that was 7 seconds slower than last year. they was really close to missing out on the medal rounds. too close. we were only .223 ahead of a really disorganized Britain in 5th, who can only ride off for bronze now. Both those teams have got a wake up call from the USA, who posted a really really fast time. they were 4 seconds quicker(4:16) than us on the day. we were (probably) holding back, but that time is still only 3 secs away from the WR(4:13), which we posted last year. we are missing one rider from that team last year, due to illness. i dont know if we can beat them here, as it is 1st vs 4th for a place in the final. This is no longer a 2 team race anymore. For Rio, u have to think it is a 3 horse race, between us, USA and Brits still. Be interesting to see how much improvement we have, and how Britain recovers from a downright shocking performance.

The other Olympic event for the day was the Womens Keirin. It was won by Vogel of Germany. Anna Meares come 2nd while Becky James of GB came a surprising(but very encouraging for her) 3rd. Meares is no longer the fastest women around the track in an outright sprint, but she has the smarts of 12 years experience, which makes her so dangerous. Keirin can be a bit hit and miss though anything can happen in a race.

Trott(of Britannia) won the scratch, which means nothing bar her own form, leading into the omnium.

EDIT Mens team pursuit race. Was fantastic. God, i am already wet for this race in Rio.

Last edited:
Matildas are all but through to the Olympics. great achievement. just need to avoid defeat in their next game to confirm it. and even if they lose both upcoming games, North Korea would still have to defeat Japan to kick the Matildas out.

outside chance of a medal but they have played well here and at the world cup last year. one can hope

Day 3 Cycling.

USA!!USA!!!USA!! Their first TP gold. Will be a good team for a number of years. the final wasnt their best run but was good enough. interesting though, the Brits in their bronze medal race were.4 quicker than the yanks in the gold medal race. in saying that, the yanks did the best time for the meet. i dont know what happened to the Aussie team. We still hold the world record, but damm i am super worried about their form. their are excuses, Edmondson is sore, Hoskins is sick, but this is anyones medal in Rio,

Day 4-5

Poms finish on top of medal table. in saying that, a lot of their golds came in minor events. Cavendish was doing the omnium and finished 6th. he needed a top 3 finish for the brits to select him in the event. they will go for someone else now, probably Dibben. Glenn O'Shea came third, coming from nowhere in the last event(points race) to claim that. he is a medal chance, dont think he will win though, but if things go his way, u never know.

Jon Dibben(of the UK) won the mens points race, in one of the best races i have seen. Cav and Wiggins won the Madison. that is the event which should return for the Olympics.

Trott won the womens omnium over Sarah Hammer of the USA(who is a star) and Berthon of France(who i know nothing about). Annette Edmondson was hit by a car 2 weeks ago, so her 5th place finish isnt the worst. Another medal chance, as Annette is a star, who can match and beat Trott and Hammer.

I was very surprised by Jason Kenny(of Britannia) beating Matthew Glaetzer in the finals of the mens sprint. I was impressed Glaetzer though. will be a great chance for gold. in saying that sprinters are finely tuned athletes and anything can happen before the Olympics. Kenny dome from nowhere to win this medal. be interesting to see how his form is at the Olympics.

I didnt catch the mens Kerrin or the women sprint. Glaetzer failed to qualify for the semis, while Meares knocked out Morton in the 1/4's in the WS. Meares finished 4th in the end. despite this, i still think we can win medals in both of these events. the final of the womens was contested by 2 Chinese women; that one has been coming.

to sum up. we have chances in every event in the program in the Olympics. lots of 4ths and 5ths in these. The longer the event, the better chance we are, though dont discount Glaetzer, Meares or Morton in the sprints.

Last edited:
Mack Horton just dropped a 3:41.6 in the 400. if he can reproduce that in a few months will more than likely have gold around his neck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don't win gold in the Women's 4x100 something will have gone very very wrong, we have three sub 53 swimmers whereas the rest of the world have just one (Sjostrom).

McEvoy with a 47.04 in a textile suit. That's the fastest swim ever in the 100 probably.

With Magnusson missing out on and individual swim for Rio. The perception of perhaps not making the most of his opportunity in London will stat to resonate, and possibly sting even more?

Karma. Blokes a flog, now he can keep his designer stubble without having to worry about swim times.

Calm down, guys. Sure, looks good now - but wait for the Yank trials, when they unveil their latest batch of college kids.

Plus our usual choke job when a couple of our hot faves go missing.

Can Magnusson lose the stupid nickname 'the Missile" now? The media sure come up with stupid nicknames. The media are so stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back