Australia’s defence forces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate don't get testy with me. It's not my fault your brain led you to think it was a good idea to write "imagine if there were cameras in WW2" in an online forum.

Also, soldiers don't carry their mobile phones while they're on combat missions bud...
So I guess my main argument is just that you're a bit dumb
Imagine if they had steam trains back in the 1800's.😮

The only point I was making was imagine all the things we would've seen had there been modern access to recording devices back in 1940; an undeniable point, that you then in all your wisdom, have decided to throw a tantrum about and argue over.... Are you all there in the head?

The only point I was making was imagine all the things we would've seen had there been modern access to recording devices back in 1940; an undeniable point, that you then in all your wisdom, have decided to throw a tantrum about and argue over.... Are you all there in the head?
Imagine if they had modern recording devices when they landed on the moon. We could've actually seen footage of mankind on the moon. How awesome would that have been.
Imagine the arguments on twitter if everyone in WW2 had a modern phone and a Twitter account. Can you imagine the scale of that twitter sh@tfight?

I’ve been to that WW1 museum in France.
Was amazing to see just how revered our fallen are in a foreign country.

I think the museum was paid for by the Australian government and therefore the taxpayer. For those with faint hearts, dont read the following contribution, which is rather brutal, even by my standards...

1618454419476.png

Imagine if they had modern recording devices when they landed on the moon. We could've actually seen footage of mankind on the moon. How awesome would that have been.
Imagine the arguments on twitter if everyone in WW2 had a modern phone and a Twitter account. Can you imagine the scale of that twitter sh@tfight?

umm que? So are you saying we never landed on the moon, or that the footage was fake? This is cryptic stuff.

1618454888404.png

umm que? So are you saying we never landed on the moon, or that the footage was fake? This is cryptic stuff.

View attachment 1103012
No my point was that we have no idea because it wasn't filmed on an iPhone and uploaded to Snapchat and YouTube. Imagine if it had been though. Imagine.😮

Imagine the epidemic of unsolicited dick picks if the 50 million soldiers in WW2 all had iPhones with tinder. Imagine... So many dick picks..😮

No my point was that we have no idea because it wasn't filmed on an iPhone and uploaded to Snapchat and YouTube. Imagine if it had been though. Imagine.😮

Imagine the epidemic of unsolicited dick picks if the 50 million soldiers in WW2 all had iPhones with tinder. Imagine... So many dick picks..😮

well i admit that they didnt have cooooooooool names for stuff in those days, but they actually broadcasted the landing and the astronauts walking on the moom in real time.... live..... delayed be a few seconds because the moon is several hundred thousand kilometres away.

They actually had hourly reports on the television during the whole 8 days of the journey.

I was sitting in a classroom with about 70 other kids watching a tv and seeing neil armstrong climb down onto the surface of the moon.

And let me assure you, it had a major effect on the world, even more than a new justin beaver CD. The 3 astronauts toured the world for several months after getting back and millions of people lined streets to wave to them. It had more effect than lil kim flashing her butt in a new video..... it was big time

well i admit that they didnt have cooooooooool names for stuff in those days, but they actually broadcasted the landing and the astronauts walking on the moom in real time.... live..... delayed be a few seconds because the moon is several hundred thousand kilometres away.

They actually had hourly reports on the television during the whole 8 days of the journey.

I was sitting in a classroom with about 70 other kids watching a tv and seeing neil armstrong climb down onto the surface of the moon.

And let me assure you, it had a major effect on the world, even more than a new justin beaver CD. The 3 astronauts toured the world for several months after getting back and millions of people lined streets to wave to them. It had more effect than lil kim flashing her butt in a new video..... it was big time

Is that what you saw? Is it though? Maybe you saw a Hollywood blockbuster made at their top secret Laurel Canyon film studio. Anyway it clearly doesn't count if it wasn't filmed on an iphone.
And show some respect to Lil Kim! Twerking is to the 21st century what Vivaldi's Four Seasons was to the 18th. The height of generational cultural achievement. I probably have to say that Lil Kim's twerking has more substance and resonance than Four Seasons for me. Mainly due to the gender empowerment it displays and the message of social justice that her butt so eloquently delivers.

I think the museum was paid for by the Australian government and therefore the taxpayer. For those with faint hearts, dont read the following contribution, which is rather brutal, even by my standards...

View attachment 1103008
I don’t have any issue with the essay that you linked to.
No one has suggested that the memorials in France, and other countries, are not paid for by Australians.
My comment about the reverence was made on the back of watching locals and workmen paying tribute at the cemetery while we were there.
Of course there are more than just Australians in these cemeteries, so if you are happy to take the point of view that the locals only see us as cash cows then I’m comfortable with that as well.

I don’t have any issue with the essay that you linked to.
No one has suggested that the memorials in France, and other countries, are not paid for by Australians.
My comment about the reverence was made on the back of watching locals and workmen paying tribute at the cemetery while we were there.
Of course there are more than just Australians in these cemeteries, so if you are happy to take the point of view that the locals only see us as cash cows then I’m comfortable with that as well.

Well I'm glad you managed yourself through it. I was on tenterhooks all afternoon. I'm not sure why all these tourist places are being built in europe other than to remind the countries involved that we had skin in the game. The one at Anzac Cove or thereabouts is even more curious because we were invading Turkey at the time. I wonder to myself what australians would think if the japanese wanted to build a mega cemetery etc in or around darwin.

I can see more reason for all the tourists war attractions being built in Canberra. At least they provide jobs for australian workers.

As for your reverence reference ( I like that term), i've no doubt that there are french people who are living in the villages and have been well schooled in what the australians did. After all, we have thousands of australians turning up at our shrines for no payment.... and people will tell you that only a few hundred were turning up 50 years ago.... so people can be educated to be reverent without the promise of a tourist venture.

Maybe one day people might be educated to not start wars. That would be a real treat. I'd like to see that. Have a look at the rupertnews and a few people who are working for him and they are working real hard to get our young men and women involved in a war with china.... as are the chinese i'm sure. Let we forget, it's the bastards at the top who start all the killing and maybe save for il duce in italy and gaddafi and few others, most seem to die of old age.

I have no words.
Just watch the embedded video.

From what I understand of this particular incident, if I have the right incident, is the afghan is not covered by the Geneva convention as he is a civilian who engaged conflict activities.

Specifically he was luring SAS soldiers into a barn which had explosives and detonators.

It would be interesting to hear what came of this incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In more recent news, the largest ship in the navy broke down in and around Tonga.

I'm not an expert in this area, but I remember that the Collins class submarines were late delivered and often in the workshop. There has been other examples of similar problems with military equipment.

I understand that the high tech aspect is a key aspect of these equipments. It's a bit like formula one in that respect. A slight edge can mean everything. However, I dont think we're getting a good return on our defence dollars. I've had a long held opinion that government just cant negotiate with private contractors. My personal experience is from the medical field, but I think the same parameters are place for defence. Government negotiators dont have skin the game. They do their job, they follow procedures and they get a promotion. The other issue that I have is the long lead in between signing the contract and actually getting a working version. I just cant understand why we cant buy something in production. I know the defence people will say that will mean that we will miss out on the cutting edge stuff. However, I'd like to remind them that F111's were extended years beyond their planned withdrawl, because we were waiting on replacements. I also question the effectiveness of the build in australia requirements. While it might provide some skilled jobs in some areas, its obviously adds high costs to the finished product.

So

In more recent news, the largest ship in the navy broke down in and around Tonga.

I'm not an expert in this area, but I remember that the Collins class submarines were late delivered and often in the workshop. There has been other examples of similar problems with military equipment.

I understand that the high tech aspect is a key aspect of these equipments. It's a bit like formula one in that respect. A slight edge can mean everything. However, I dont think we're getting a good return on our defence dollars. I've had a long held opinion that government just cant negotiate with private contractors. My personal experience is from the medical field, but I think the same parameters are place for defence. Government negotiators dont have skin the game. They do their job, they follow procedures and they get a promotion. The other issue that I have is the long lead in between signing the contract and actually getting a working version. I just cant understand why we cant buy something in production. I know the defence people will say that will mean that we will miss out on the cutting edge stuff. However, I'd like to remind them that F111's were extended years beyond their planned withdrawl, because we were waiting on replacements. I also question the effectiveness of the build in australia requirements. While it might provide some skilled jobs in some areas, its obviously adds high costs to the finished product.

So
This ship is also subject to a covid outbreak.
Yet they still offloaded cargo in Tonga, and yes I’m aware they need aid, a country that has NO Covid.
For a place devastated by nature, why risk giving them even more misery?

So

yep no power and not even toilets.......they're shitting in buckets and ditching it over the side

and yes the government doesn't now how to contract, tender and manage successful tenders. Why? They don't know how to take risk and put that risk back onto the counter party. This is 101 type stuff.

yep no power and not even toilets.......they're shitting in buckets and ditching it over the side

and yes the government doesn't now how to contract, tender and manage successful tenders. Why? They don't know how to take risk and put that risk back onto the counter party. This is 101 type stuff.

exactly... all those contracts with open-ended costs are an example. The french sub doubled in price from the initial quote to when the gov't ditched it.

I saw an article that had about a dozen ships from about half a dozen nations steaming to Tonga to save them....talk about desperation to maintain or widen the sphere of influence..... it's like it's a marginal electorate...

Can’t wait for this scumbag to be stripped of his medal.
Every day a new insight into how he conducted himself on the battlefield, and more importantly, off it. People who were restrained, unarmed, executed.
To many soldiers stepping forward to tell it how it was.
His supreme confidence in his manufactured persona lead him to sue,the defence of “truth” is unpicking him. Day after day.

Can’t wait for this scumbag to be stripped of his medal.
Every day a new insight into how he conducted himself on the battlefield, and more importantly, off it. People who were restrained, unarmed, executed.
To many soldiers stepping forward to tell it how it was.
His supreme confidence in his manufactured persona lead him to sue,the defence of “truth” is unpicking him. Day after day.

this may or may not be true but it is important to understand this may or may not be illegal

as citizens that engage in conflict for example can be executed

this may or may not be true but it is important to understand this may or may not be illegal

as citizens that engage in conflict for example can be executed
He certainly maintains any actions he took were within the rules of war.
Others who witnessed it though think differently. And as they were trained, and subject to the same rules, he may be in trouble.

He certainly maintains any actions he took were within the rules of war.
Others who witnessed it though think differently. And as they were trained, and subject to the same rules, he may be in trouble.

trained to carry out operations or trained in law?

I dare say most wouldn't know

Remove this Banner Ad

Back