Australia to host World Cup 2003

Remove this Banner Ad

The Power Guy

Team Captain
Feb 20, 2002
Out the back
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Australia has won the right to host all 48 games of the world cup offically ending New Zealands hopes of playing a part. This will eject more than 1 billion dollars into the Australian economy.

IMO New Zealand shut themselves out of Australias good books after the ended Australia's campaign for a 4th Super 12 team, which was plain selfish and stupid (in my opinion).

Please don't get me started on the RWC.

I'm not really interested in constructing an indept factual response wholly supporting the NZRFU position.

I for one couldn't help but see the irony today is the traditional first day of the poppy selling season.

The ANZAC spirit, ancient history now I suppose.

Anyway happy bday George and I hope everybody enjoys their sport this weekend.

Originally posted by Player
Please don't get me started on the RWC.

I'm not really interested in constructing an indept factual response wholly supporting the NZRFU position.

I for one couldn't help but see the irony today is the traditional first day of the poppy selling season.

The ANZAC spirit, ancient history now I suppose.

Anyway happy bday George and I hope everybody enjoys their sport this weekend.
I know my post was rather general and incerdibaly ignorant on New Zealands behalf and I apologise for that. But I cannot help but feel some resentment towards the NZRFU seeing as they destroyed Australia's hopes of the 4th Super 12 team.

As for Australia hosting all of the World Cup, I actually believe that it would have been better to play games in NZ, as shutting New Zealand out of the running of the World Cup can only promote negativity towards the All Blacks campaign for the Web-Ellis Cup.

I just hope..........

That some of these afl supporters get their bums on seats for the World cup for games being held in Melbourne.

Here's hoping the games are at the G not Colonial Stadium, like the Wallabies vs. British Lions Test...you could not have crammed one more soul into that place that night!!!!

Originally posted by Buz Saw
The matches will be played in all states.

It will be huge.
Damn straight it will be, I'll be in WA by then and I was freaking because I thought I would miss out on the World Cup, as I thought that it would be predominantly played on the East coast!
Now I now I'll be heading to a few matches, that's for sure!

Just on the New Zealanders actrions regarding the supposed 4th Super 12 team for Australia ?

I was not aware that deveplopement fo teh game in this country is the responsibility of the NZRFU ?

I thought it was the ARU's job to try and get a decent domestic competition going in Australia ?

Oh, and message to Mr O'Neill : just tacking another contrived and completely made-up entity onto the back of a sucessful international competition (the Super 12) is not 'developing' the game.

Its not NZ's fault that Rugby Union in Australia is strictly niche interest stuff - If Australia thinks it can support 4 Super 12 teams, go on prove it by having a decent domestic Rugby Union competition that can in turn support 4 International standard operations.

This spade - work must be done by the Australians themselves, New Zealnd have enough problems of their own to worry about without also being responsible for the game in Australia (for chrissake)

cheers

Originally posted by The Power Guy

Damn straight it will be, I'll be in WA by then and I was freaking because I thought I would miss out on the World Cup, as I thought that it would be predominantly played on the East coast!
Now I now I'll be heading to a few matches, that's for sure!

The talk is that England are gonna play a lot of their games over there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by The Power Guy
So I take it different pools will be placed in different states?

Yeah I think they're gonna try & spread it out as much as possible obviously now NZ have been cut out things are gonna change a bit.

I think the issue of England was one of the earlier stumbling blocks between NZ & Australia.Both countires realised (especially after the Lions tour) that England would bring loads of supporters & it would be big bucks for the local economy so they both wanted us in their country.I think they want to put us over in WA as it's not really Rugby country but they know that England fans will follow them wherever so they can put the games of the countries that don't bring much support in the more estabilished rugby areas.

They did a provisional draw for the WC which shafterd England just so they could make money out of our fans there was a bit of a furore over here about it.Basically I think it ended up that Wales were seeded ahead of us or something like that which there was no logical case for.

Anyway I hope you enjoy watching Jonny kick a few goals, Geez if you're really lucky you might even see us score a try.................don't hold your breath though ay cos you know we're a bunch of boring b******s;)

Originally posted by NYPomme
So Dipper - who are in England's group?

Well this is the strange thing, they did some provisonal draw & it didn't look good for England I can't remember the exact details but the talk was of being in a group with South Africa & whoever finished second would have to play the winner of I think New Zealand's group.The point was that all the top sides would be in groups that they were virtually guuaranteed to win except for the SA England group & I beleive that Wales were given top seeding in one of the groups (something like that) but it's all a bit ambiguous & just like the hosting situation it all seemed to change every week so now I'm not at all sure what the situation is.

But obviously being in a group with on eof the other leading nations isn't ideal it's a bit like England's football world cup group & being stuck with Argentina & knowing whoever finishes second will probably get the French in the firts knock out round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back