Current Australian brothers Jack & Callum Robinson missing in Baja California, Mexico * Murdered

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Feel sorry for young people that grow up in a civilised safe country and then ignorantly travel abroad and expect the same wherever they go.

There should be more taught in high school about the dangers of travelling overseas now that it’s such a rite of passage for young kids to get life experiences overseas.
Taught in high school? The internet would tell you more then any high school.. think these young lads are just terribly unluckily, doubt it’s cartel related.

Mexico is great but there are some places where you are more likely to encounter serious trouble.

No matter what, people shouldn’t have to be forced to be extra vigilant (anywhere) about personal security. Sadly they are.

Mexico is a beautiful country and great to visit but there's decisions you can make there that exacerbate your exposure to risk. Anything close to the border and hiring cars/driving through remote areas puts you out of the control of the military and police, so there are regions that are essentially lawless. However incidents like these consolidate the perception of Mexico in it's entirety of being a 'no-go zone', due to its garbage depiction in popular culture. I felt safer in CDMX than I do in Surry Hills.

I feel awful for the family, a shocking tragedy.

Below taken from an article in the NY TImes today:

"Kira Boyd, a public affairs officer for the F.B.I.’s San Diego Field Office, confirmed in an email that three people were found dead near the town of Santo Tomás but did not specify whether they were the missing tourists.
“We are assessing every tip,” Ms. Boyd said. “If credible, we will pursue those leads with rigor.”
In 2022, 192 American citizens died in Mexico, State Department figures show, but most of those deaths were accidents or suicides. Only 46 were ruled as homicides.
The big waves in Baja California have long attracted throngs of surfers and travelers, many of whom have dealt with rising crime rates for nearly two decades.
But record levels of violence have hit the state in recent years. Government data shows that Baja California currently holds first place in vehicle theft and second place in homicides, most of which are related to drug dealing or organized crime, Mexico’s secretary of defense, Luis Cresencio Sandoval, said this year."

I was once told of two young Australian women who arrived in Mexico and got in a cab from the airport. Cab driver didn’t take them to the hotel though - went to a different area, met up with other people, made the girls strip and assaulted them.

I was once told of two young Australian women who arrived in Mexico and got in a cab from the airport. Cab driver didn’t take them to the hotel though - went to a different area, met up with other people, made the girls strip and assaulted them.
Disgusting. Could happen anywhere in the world though.

Dunno why some posters want to paint Mexico in a good light and make this incident out to be a freak one off:

30,000 murders in a year is more than just “could happen anywhere”.

Tourists that stick out like sore thumbs/gringos that don’t have a local showing them around need to be very cautious about venturing from the safe tourist spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno why some posters want to paint Mexico in a good light and make this incident out to be a freak one off:

30,000 murders in a year is more than just “could happen anywhere”.

Tourists that stick out like sore thumbs/gringos that don’t have a local showing them around need to be very cautious about venturing from the safe tourist spots.

I know Mexican Americans who will declare upon question that 'they'll never step foot back in Mexico'. Sad but the place has a lot of trouble.

So sorry for the families why? When a young doctor does not realise the dangers in that particular place in Mexico, so many cartels operating there...my condolence

In that region, when an area is considered risky they really do mean risky.

There are plenty of spots in the area that do not carry the same risk, particularly a surfing trip.

Total tragedy. Hope it’s a reminder to others of the risks travellers face in parts of the world.

have to be one of the last places on earth id want to visit

I love travelling but I don't think I'll see myself ever going south of the USA especially seeing all my travels are solo.

A relative was talking to me about Nigeria and said he loved it and then 20 seconds later told me a story of having to bribe locals who were pointing guns at them to go through a road block.

I guess some people value their life and safety more than others.

Apparently the robbers were attempting to steal their vehicle when the victims opposed the robbery.

Just goes to show you that in these types of countries, especially where guns are prominent, if someone is robbing you it's probably a good idea to just let them do it. The brothers natural instinct being from a country where getting involved in an altercation where someone has a gun is rare, was to probably just step in oppose the situation. No matter how largely built and athletic you are, if someone pulls out a gun it's over

Very sad all round, just a few blokes enjoying a nice holiday

Last edited:
Bodies have been identified as sadly belonging to the missing brothers.

Locals now peacefully protesting for more security in the area (ABC).

Killed all for a truck and tyres? What drives people to do that kind of thing... it's horrific. Hopefully they died instantly and not in agony, that's the only consolation here.

xFuzZBaLL you're right I think. If you have guns pointed at you or know it's a country notorious for guns and homicides, you'd just let them take the damn truck... :(

RIP lads, doing what they loved.

Killed all for a truck and tyres? What drives people to do that kind of thing... it's horrific. Hopefully they died instantly and not in agony, that's the only consolation here.

xFuzZBaLL you're right I think. If you have guns pointed at you or know it's a country notorious for guns and homicides, you'd just let them take the damn truck... :(

RIP lads, doing what they loved.

There's a very obvious contrast between the rich and the poor in Mexico, it almost slaps you in the face when you leave the popular tourist areas. It can make for desperate people.

Not a great idea to be camping outside those areas with expensive looking stuff.

We were a bit careless when we were there but our group didn't wear jewellery, girls kept hair covered and we were driving around in an oldish jeep.

Do people get murdered in Mexico a lot where police don't bother investigating? If yes the murderers chose the wrong victims......

If not cartel related then I think the police would have been happy to do their job properly especially with the world wide attention the case was getting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back