Workshop Australian Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

The southern cross is not a symbol of division. That's rubbish.

Prominent symbol of the nationalist right during the Cronulla riots, 'freedom' rallies, etc. Morons have highjacked its original meaning from the Eureka Stockade with their bogun tattoos. No one with any moderately progressive values would get behind it as a new national symbol.

Prominent symbol of the nationalist right during the Cronulla riots, 'freedom' rallies, etc. Morons have highjacked its original meaning from the Eureka Stockade with their bogun tattoos. No one with any moderately progressive values would get behind it as a new national symbol.
I agree the Eureka Stockade flag has become a symbol of division due to idiots, but the Southern Cross is now more of a tattoo of the common bogan than anything

Despite its (in some circles) negative connotations, the southern cross seems to be the univesal choive for an element of any new flag. It polls highly in any survey of new designs, or design elements, and is a symbol that both Australians and those around the world can associate with Australia. It is also a simple enough sybmbol to be drawn by children (even if poorly), so it also meets that criteria for a flag design.

The largest problem for any new Australian flag design is that it needs to be neutral in its symbology so that it represents all Australians, be they part of a 65,000 year old culture or brand new migrants (which eliminates any and all Aboriginal elements, and any European/UK ones - so no boomerangs, dot painting, replacing elements with the Aboriginal flag, or Union Jacks), and also has to be simple enough for children to draw to a level close enough (so removes any idea of a Kangaroo or animal).

Despite the southern cross being appropriated by some either negative groups or seen in a negative light, these have only been generally short lived movements (except for the Eureka flag, but that is it's own unique design that would not be tied to any new flag), and is an iconic symbol of Australia (and in parts the Southern Hemisphere).

The major problem will be that there will never be a complete consensus across the entire nation, so when the (likely) change to a republic happens, we all will have to be happy with whatever design ends up being chosen.

But this will not be a discussion in the immediate short term, it will not have any movement until after the unfortunate loss of the Queen and some time after that out of respect.

The only elements I can see being kept is the dark blue and 7-pointed star(s), whether that is the southern cross or one singular federation star.

Everyone around the world associates Australia with the Southern Cross and the nation would lose a large part of its "branding" without it front and centre on the flag.

The federation star is great for a couple reasons. 7 points to represent each state and the territories and it has links to the Eureka flag and the Southern Cross without being so overt. So combine that with the wattle which is already our national flower and shares the colours that the world associates with us and to me that makes the Wattle the perfect Australian flag. It has the potential to become the new Australian symbol rather than picking something that may have negative connotations as is.

The federation star is great for a couple reasons. 7 points to represent each state and the territories and it has links to the Eureka flag and the Southern Cross without being so overt. So combine that with the wattle which is already our national flower and shares the colours that the world associates with us and to me that makes the Wattle the perfect Australian flag. It has the potential to become the new Australian symbol rather than picking something that may have negative connotations as is.

The wattle is too complex to display on a flag, plus 99% of people from around the world would have no idea of what it is. Also knowing what the government would get designers to design, it would look nothing like a wattle (previous Australian made “Covid” wattle design).

The wattle is fine on the Coat of Arms, not the flag.

I agree with all these statements, and can see people's point of view. You know what would really unite us all? Stephanie Meyer's Twilight.

mwvx7qfgs0y41.jpg

I will chain myself to this pipe if you refuse.

PS. Here is a mockup of the new flag with all the offensive elements removed.

1655012103414.png

I also found this beauty created by Flags for Australia but on their facebook page

Really big fan of the colours and style

Excerpt:

The Great South Land flag is inspired by the coastline and landscape of Australia and the stars that, throughout time, have guided people to our shores and across the land.

The blue panels represent the sky and sea. Green and yellow represent the Australian coast and mainland. Sky, land and sea are linked by a horizontal band, evoking the far horizons and vast expanse of our island continent.

The Southern Cross has been a symbol of Australia since the 1800’s.The name Australia is derived from the Latin Australis meaning “south land”. The constellation can be seen all year round from almost anywhere in Australia. For First Nations people the Southern Cross is a totem, deeply woven into their spiritual and practical lives.

Green and gold (yellow) are Australia’s national colours, derived from Australia’s national flower the wattle. They represent the beauty of the Australian bushland. The blues represent the sky, sea and coastline of Australia. White symbolises peace, unity and reconciliation.

Yellow is also used on the Aboriginal flag, symbolising the sun and new life. While green, blue and white are used on the Torres Strait Islander flag, symbolising the land, the sea and peace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also found this beauty created by Flags for Australia but on their facebook page

Really big fan of the colours and style

Excerpt:

The Great South Land flag is inspired by the coastline and landscape of Australia and the stars that, throughout time, have guided people to our shores and across the land.

The blue panels represent the sky and sea. Green and yellow represent the Australian coast and mainland. Sky, land and sea are linked by a horizontal band, evoking the far horizons and vast expanse of our island continent.

The Southern Cross has been a symbol of Australia since the 1800’s.The name Australia is derived from the Latin Australis meaning “south land”. The constellation can be seen all year round from almost anywhere in Australia. For First Nations people the Southern Cross is a totem, deeply woven into their spiritual and practical lives.

Green and gold (yellow) are Australia’s national colours, derived from Australia’s national flower the wattle. They represent the beauty of the Australian bushland. The blues represent the sky, sea and coastline of Australia. White symbolises peace, unity and reconciliation.

Yellow is also used on the Aboriginal flag, symbolising the sun and new life. While green, blue and white are used on the Torres Strait Islander flag, symbolising the land, the sea and peace.

It has merits, but misses the mark for me. The light blue part doesn't work, nor does the angled shapes.

If any flag incorporates Indigenous peoples flags then the Torres Strait Islander flag must be included as well. Cannot include one and exclude the other. That is why neither should be included, and be kept as their own, while the national flag includes all and excludes none.

I'd say with some certainty there will be a referendum once Queen Elizabeth passes on, even people here that love the monarchy seem leery of Charles, so it's a good excuse to break ties. Personally, I favour the Golden Wattle flag, the green and gold is synonymous with Australia and differentiates us from all the red/white/blue flags. It's a pretty classy, minimalist design. Can even add side panels to copy the Canadian flag.

Attachments

• GoldenWattle_Flag_Green_Myrtle_NEW_2500px.jpg
    GoldenWattle_Flag_Green_Myrtle_NEW_2500px.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 8e8de05982ada8e24c5cdfe95492fa05.jpg
    8e8de05982ada8e24c5cdfe95492fa05.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 53
Golden Wattle then absolute daylight to any other flag design I've seen.

I don't think you're ever going to be able to integrate the Aboriginal & TSI flags into a national flag. I see it as a similar argument to the Port Adelaide prison bar traditionalists that don't want an adaptation of what has traditionally represented them, especially after the free the flag debacle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back