Autopsy Autopsy vs Crows - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s time to have a chat about Ray Chamberlain, his bouncing is diabolical and he struggles to keep up with the play which impacts his ability to officiate.

About the only thing he’s good at is being confident enough to pay frees outside his zone because he’s not struggling 15m behind.

What disturbed me the most was he was 30 m off the play and not only was visibly protesting the other umps decision but then goes onto talking to the opposition ruckman with hand gestures.

Seriously, this is totally unprofessional and indicative of his ego.

We can’t convert our dominant periods into quick scores, feels like we have to kill ourselves for our goals.

the opposition gets on top and they pile them on, we’ve had patches this year but never put it on the scoreboard.
Yeah, absolutely this. But it's almost encouraging tbh and why the scoreboard isn't the most important thing this year. There have been periods of every game this season where we've done a lot of things right. But then it's one turnover resulting in an oppo goal and because we're bereft of confidence atm, it leads to us dropping heads.

Negative: The pissant Adelaide w***er who shoved her way to the front of the barrier to flaunt her urine coloured scarf at our boys as they walked off. Nearly hip and shouldered her over the edge in my haste to join her at the front and to cheer off the boys. Tried clapping loudly in her face too so I hope that was enough of a hint to her that she is a giant w***er.

Last edited:

Anyone else at the game notice the sheila that read the team names prior to the bounce got at least three wrong. Mahoney became Ma honey (been watching all the Police Academy movies), Zurhaar became Zoo ahhh, Ben Mackay became Ben Mackie. FFS. Embarrassing to the club. Surely it isn't too hard to get the names of the players right.

Genuinely don't get the Campbell hate. He's a VFL footballer but we looked so much better structurally - suddenly the opposition couldn't triple team Larkey and take a million intercept marks, and Goldy could actually go forward properly.

Obviously it's Xerri's spot long term but people just have a real prejudice to TC.

Structure being better really doesn't make up for the fact that he's probably the stiffest big man in the history of the game, I've seen giraffes with more grace standing up, don't even get me started about Campbell below the knees.

He literally couldn't mark.
He handballed like s**t.
He tapped balls down the gullet of the opposition more than he did to us.
He could barely even get a kick off of winning a contest.
He was blown up by the third quarter after a halftime break.

I could go on, and on, and on. If Xerri was there we would've gained the following:
The ability to mark inside 50 (He can and does do this better at AFL level)
A handball that hits a target.
A contest at the bounce when its on the center square after a hitout.
The ability to actually kick a ******* goal (Which we have literally seen with our own eyes)
A man who can actually chase a player down and tackle them.

I don't give two shits and * what our debauched """"""fitness"""" staff have to say, Xerri could've been sucking wind at the same time Campbell did and we would've gotten more out of it, in fact we may have even won the game.

When the game was there to be won after we measured the score, there was some absolutely crucial moments where Campbell had to get into the contest and create pressure and I literally could find you a frame where he had his hands on his head, 10 metres out ball-watching. That's for VFL players, not for the AFL.

Insipid last quarter after working really hard. Maybe ran out of gas down a rotation? Not an excuse though, very disappointing.

That said, some terrific signs. Kids are alright. Ziebell kept us in it early.

Tom Campbell - I’d rather give Tyson a run in the ruck.
I know you know ruckwork Alex but I thought that Campbell into the ruck that allowed Goldy to kick 2 helped us steady at the time.

Structure being better really doesn't make up for the fact that he's probably the stiffest big man in the history of the game, I've seen giraffes with more grace standing up, don't even get me started about Campbell below the knees.

He literally couldn't mark.
He handballed like sh*t.
He tapped balls down the gullet of the opposition more than he did to us.
He could barely even get a kick off of winning a contest.
He was blown up by the third quarter after a halftime break.

I could go on, and on, and on. If Xerri was there we would've gained the following:
The ability to mark inside 50 (He can and does do this better at AFL level)
A handball that hits a target.
A contest at the bounce when its on the center square after a hitout.
The ability to actually kick a ******* goal (Which we have literally seen with our own eyes)
A man who can actually chase a player down and tackle them.

I don't give two shits and fu** what our debauched """"""fitness"""" staff have to say, Xerri could've been sucking wind at the same time Campbell did and we would've gotten more out of it, in fact we may have even won the game.

When the game was there to be won after we measured the score, there was some absolutely crucial moments where Campbell had to get into the contest and create pressure and I literally could find you a frame where he had his hands on his head, 10 metres out ball-watching. That's for VFL players, not for the AFL.

Would you prefer we kicked 4 goals total and Larkey had three kicks again.

Genuinely don't get the Campbell hate. He's a VFL footballer but we looked so much better structurally - suddenly the opposition couldn't triple team Larkey and take a million intercept marks, and Goldy could actually go forward properly.

Obviously it's Xerri's spot long term but people just have a real prejudice to TC. He showed how weak Walker can be in the contest too.
I thought Tommy was pretty good, just didn't mark the ones he should. But he's not played much AFL over the past few years so hard to fault him.

Would you prefer we kicked 4 goals total and Larkey had three kicks again.

How would that have happened if Xerri was there instead of Campbell doing the exact same role.

Please do not attempt to defend this man simply because he accomplished the task of simply being there to fill a position.

Anyone else at the game notice the sheila that read the team names prior to the bounce got at least three wrong. Mahoney became Ma honey (been watching all the Police Academy movies), Zurhaar became Zoo ahhh, Ben Mackay became Ben Mackie. FFS. Embarrassing to the club. Surely it isn't too hard to get the names of the players right.

Yep. I love Ma honey, she's my rock.

How would that have happened if Xerri was there instead of Campbell doing the exact same role.

Please do not attempt to defend this man simply because he accomplished the task of simply being there to fill a position.

They clearly didn't think Xerri was fit enough, hence him playing VFL this morning. This isn't a Xerri vs Campbell argument.

You know it's a bad season when the game that ended with eight goals to one against in the final quarter is clearly our best showing for the year...

I think today's game is much more instructive for the future than confidence-sapping drubbings could ever be - until we lapsed woefully in the last term, the effort and will to pressure was noticeably higher from us, and as a result we spent most of the middle two quarters in control of the play, which is one way to limit the damage we seem to inordinately suffer from turnovers. Particularly in the third term, we were well on top in general play - although it's telling just how much better than Adelaide we had to be to cancel out our still-routine issues with poor disposal, crowding in at the contests and leaving loose opponents on the outside, etc. The level of effort was great, but it shouldn't take such high workrate simply to get back from a 3-goal deficit across 2 quarters - we need to find ways to be more efficient, and that's partly on our structures, which still seemed to involve too much "down the line to a contest in hope"-type plays.

In terms of young talent, Powell's contributions were integral to our success today and Phillips picked the best option with pretty much every disposal, which is a good sign. Very happy with Larkey's intensity today too, plays with that aggressive mindset every week and he'll be the player we can all see he has the potential to be. McKay very solid given he's the only true KPD in the line-up, and Young did well down back also - thought he was a bit stiff to not be in the 22 when so many others had equally dire showings last week. I like what Stephenson's brought (not just this week either), and whilst Hall's inconsistency is irksome, IMO he's worth retaining when he can contribute what he did today.

On the other side of things, I'm increasingly not sold on LDU. Plenty of talent there but his defensive efforts are limited, and he makes frustratingly dumb decisions with ball in hand far too often - getting caught HTB trying for a low-percentage blind-turn through congestion every time, or taking a bounce whilst being tackled?!?! (Let's not mention the shoelace...) Fourth season on the list, so plenty of time to fix up the flaws, but at the moment he doesn't look like taking that next step in his development, if anything he's regressed from last year. And whilst I've always had plenty of time for what Turner brings, and he did a good job riling Laird today, the moment where everyone knew he didn't have the distance and instead he failed to pull off a short chip pass was excruciatingly poor. On the whole, injuries notwithstanding, it can't be okay for us to fade out of games this badly the moment our momentum is stalled, and the focus going forward can't just be on what worked in the middle part of the game, but what we're going to do to stop the things that are still issues holding us back (to be clear, we just lost by 41 points: whatever the positives, there are still significantly more negatives when that's the result).

Thought the umpiring was pretty awful today too, FWIW, from a couple of Crows set shots not being called play on despite arcing way off the line, to us twice being done for holding the man because the Adelaide player deliberately dropped/threw the ball out, to plenty of other baffling calls. And, not an error as such, but no-one can tell me the 6-6-6 rule is good for football when a game that remains up for grabs slips away after they get a cheap forward 50 entry and score from it because one of our players didn't stand in the spot the league thinks will make the sport more aesthetically pleasing.

We showed today just how much of a difference actually bringing the effort can make, and that has to be the standard going forward (not reserved for 'response' games nine days after unacceptable floggings). That's especially important for next week, playing against a side in Geelong who look to be one of the most vulnerable sides to the kind of fast ball movement we clearly want to execute. Today wasn't quite the convincing response to our awful form in the first three rounds I'd hoped for, but it was still clearly a step in the right direction, which counts for little if we don't continue taking those steps; hopefully we have some options at the selection table to make doing that less of a struggle than what our dominant periods today seemed to be.

Really liked this summary. My thoughts very similar overall. To this, I’d add that I thought Bonar was excellent again. His confidence in his ability is growing. He’s very versatile, a great competitor, has great speed and now getting more confident with the ball.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost by 41 points to last years wooden spooners. Some good signs from some of our younger blokes but overall it was an average performance considering we were at home against an average team. We have a lot of players that panic and make the wrong decisions. Turner to a tagging role worked and I think that is the only way he gets a game as he is a liability in the forward line.

Bonar, McKay, Powell, Jack, Hall, Simpkin and Stephenson were our best while Thomas, Phillips and Goldy were ok.

There was improvement in our skills execution but there was little pressure and compared to Port vs Tigers it was like watching a completely different game.

Next week against Geelong at GMHBA stadium could get ugly with Dangerfield returning. Could be another 100 + thrashing.

What about Tarryn Thompson on the news.com article written by Jasper Bruce? Mentioned he kicked 2 goals in the 3rd but gets his name wrong.

The difference in the game really was the Crows hitting targets inside 50 and converting. They completely showed us up in that regard.

However, our young mids really dominated the middle two quarters and gave a glimpse of what’s to come. Some of the end to end stuff was scintillating footy and is going to be so fun when we’re really clicking.

We’ll be really good when we get a forward line.

What about Tarryn Thompson on the news.com article written by Jasper Bruce? Mentioned he kicked 2 goals in the 3rd but gets his name wrong.

Pittard must really hate the club.

Or Josh Bruce has a ghost-writer.

Attachments

• mugatoo.gif
    mugatoo.gif
    40.6 KB · Views: 32
So many positives out of this game, despite it being a very ugly display of skills on both sides.

1. Powell is going to be a star
  2. Phillips looks comfortable at this level and will go from strength to strength
  3. Much better effort all around. Pretty clear the team was gassed after the third quarter (the first quarter injuries didn't help)
  4. Mid game rotations were better this game. Turner as a run with player and Goldy up forward.
Need to find better ways of exiting the opposition forward 50. Adelaide had the ball locked in there for long stretches.

Didn't see that but at least we aren't paying him. We are paying the ground caller - and she gets 3 or 4 names wrong ffs. Someone sitting near me said she got Haydens name wrong too but I didn't pick up on that one.

She also pronounced Kyron, Keeyron. 🤦‍♂️

At the risk of being another hater;

I don't think it's a coincidence that Walker was out and our defense looked the best it has all year.
Josh Walker has been good for us since he came to the club but your comment has merit as we looked far more settled with Goldy down there because Campbell was in the ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back