Awesome movies thread III 🎥 🎦 📽

Remove this Banner Ad

528041-bc958de2-1600-11e4-8b83-8df6d69c6921.jpg

Calvary
Unfortunately this was billed as a comedy, which although it has some cracking lines most certainly isn't, so it was a bit bleaker than what I was expecting. Great movie though, about a good Irish priest, told during confession that he will be murdered in a week. Brendan Gleeson is superb. 8/10

The Great Gatsby
What a piece of s**t. I don't even...
Read the book again instead. 2/10

A Most Wanted Man
Philip Seymore Hoffman's last role :cry: in a John Le Carré adaptation. Very good spy flic. 7.5/10

I'm posting this here as I saw it in a Highpoint Cinema.

Monty Python Live (almost) was the Reunion Show of the surviving members of the comedy group. I understand the show is being screened again at the weekend and I'd recommend it for fans and those with no idea of what I'm talking about. The show itself is an excellent production from the occupants of the orchestra pit who open the show with an overture of classic Python tunes. The support onstage sing, dance and keep a straight face through classic songs with naughty lyrics. The show is a mixture of live performance, animation and excerpts from the TV show. The latter providing time to set up the scene and props for the next live sketch. The show itself runs for around two and a half hours with a fifteen minute intermission.

The boys reprise 'the dead parrot', 'nudge, nudge, nudge, wink, say no more' and the 'spam, spam, spam eggs and spam' sketches amongst a lot of favourites.

Song and dance numbers including The Lumberjack Song.

Old TV footage provides an insight into the way the show was presented. The ladies guild re-enacting the bombing of Pearl Harbour, the Football Internationale between the German philosophers and the Ancient Greek philosophers and the Fish Dance are timeless.

The newspaper reviews rate a mention during the show. I think they miss the point. It's a nostalgic trip and the comedy is still funny today.:thumbsu:

I had a quieter MIFF than usual, but saw a decent mix of films (both in style and quality).

One which will likely get a general release (and my fave of the 11 that I saw) was In Order Of Disappearance.
Set in Norway, Stellan Skarsgard plays a Swedish 'Citizen Of the Year' snow plough driver whose son is murdered by a drug gang. He takes revenge.
It's black, it's violent, and it's very very funny. 8/10

Another film that might get released here is the German film Wetlands, based on a hit novel.
The film opens with a real letter to the editor saying that this book should not be allowed to be filmed. It is the story of a teenage girl who (how can I put this?), is hospitalised after cutting a hemorrhoid while shaving her behind. It is filthy, I've never witnessed an audience groan like this, but again, very funny. 7/10

Also a mention to Welcome To New York.
Directed by Abel Ferrara and staring Gerard Depardieu, it is based on Dominque Strauss-Kahn. Depardieu goes all the way, he has no shame. Solid flic. 6/10

Last edited:
Decided to watch The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas last night since I caught a little bit of it at lunchtime at work. Having been to a concentration camp outside Berlin since I last watched it, I am not ashamed to admit I pretty much bawled my eyes out at the end. Makes me ashamed of humanity that we did (and still do) such terrible things to each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decided to watch The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas last night since I caught a little bit of it at lunchtime at work. Having been to a concentration camp outside Berlin since I last watched it, I am not ashamed to admit I pretty much bawled my eyes out at the end. Makes me ashamed of humanity that we did (and still do) such terrible things to each other.
Sachsenhausen?

Yep, that's the one. Went with Mrs ShanDog on a day tour run by a young Aussie girl. There were only about a dozen of us so it was a great tour.

Really changed my perspective on a lot of things at that place, and it was a far cry from the 'worst' of the concentration camps.
Yeah the smaller camps i've been to Dachau, Terezin & Sachsenhausen were all confronting enough for me. Finally got to Auschwitz-Birkenau early last year and nothing prepared me for that. Takes it to a whole other level. The weird thing when we went was that it was eerily beautiful at the same time as it was the middle of winter and covered with a layer of snow. Also gave a feel for how terrible the place must have been in general, let alone the freezing winter. A must see.

528959_10151193590401791_165613591_n.jpg

394846_10151193590746791_1160597719_n.jpg

Probably shouldn't be hijacking this thread but oh well, Schindlers List 9/10, great film.

Those signs at the entrances are so chilling, especially when you get to walk out of the camps at the end. The tour guide explained to us that they roughly translate to "Work will set you free", which was a bit of an inside joke (or turned into one) for the guards there - it basically meant they were going to work you to death.

Those signs at the entrances are so chilling, especially when you get to walk out of the camps at the end. The tour guide explained to us that they roughly translate to "Work will set you free", which was a bit of an inside joke (or turned into one) for the guards there - it basically meant they were going to work you to death.
Yup, even worse that a lot of the people being taken in there had no idea what was in store for them.

Not having a great run

Only God Forgives
After Drive, not sure how the Refn/Gossling partnership went so wrong. Boring and stupid. 2/10

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For
Sin City
was brilliant, but this sequel was terrible. Again boring and stupid. Such a disappointment. 3/10
The 3 is for Eva Green.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back