Multiplat Baldur's Gate III

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Couldn't find a thread on this which is surprising.

It's made by Larian Studios which were the producers of Divinity Original Sin I and II, and this game looks very much in that ilk and mechanicly similar (btw if you haven't played DOS I & II you're missing out on 2 all time great games especially if you are a fan of the RPG genre).

Anyone going to get into this? Console launch is early August, but I believe it's already been out or will be out in Beta earlier on Steam/PC?

There is an old thread floating around from when it was PC only and early access but that hasn't been updated in years.

I'm interested as I've been keen on getting back to the Forgotten Realms setting for a long time. As someone who dined on nothing but BG, IWD, NWN and R A Salvatore books for years (those games and books pretty much defined my entire high schooling years, together with Ultima Online) it feels like it has been forever since we've been there. Apparently it's a massive game though.

There is an old thread floating around from when it was PC only and early access but that hasn't been updated in years.

I'm interested as I've been keen on getting back to the Forgotten Realms setting for a long time. As someone who dined on nothing but BG, IWD, NWN and R A Salvatore books for years (those games and books pretty much defined my entire high schooling years, together with Ultima Online) it feels like it has been forever since we've been there. Apparently it's a massive game though.
I've heard easily 150 hours and that's not even an extensive playthrough of all the content

That's about what I read in an article just the other day too. That's probably why I'll give it a miss immediately considering other stuff coming out and some backlog I want to clear first, then I'll jump into this when I can spend more time with it.
Yeh I'm about to purchase FFXVI which is probably 50-70 hours for me if it's good, so I imagine I'll be a little while off this given I can only play 3-5 hours a week, but it's on the list for sure.

yeah I bought this (PC) the other day and i'm gonna be playing it for several months come august... not gonna start it until then as saves won't be compatible

played BG1+2 repeatedly since I was a kid. CRPG's are my thing. I disagree with some of the old fans that are saying this "isn't baldurs gate" just because they've changed it to turn-based combat and not going old-school isometric graphics. imo it is looking like what I always dreamed of for a 3rd game in the series. plus we had a shitload of great throwback isometric RPG's since 2013 and more coming so it's nice to have something like this instead

plus divOS1 and 2 are some of the best RPG's since 2000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard easily 150 hours and that's not even an extensive playthrough of all the content

Heard that the cinematics alone run longer than the entire Game of Thrones show, though did have someone also speculate that "cinematics" may also include the in-gameplay dialogue, too.

Heard that the cinematics alone run longer than the entire Game of Thrones show, though did have someone also speculate that "cinematics" may also include the in-gameplay dialogue, too.

yeah i read a couple confirmations that its including all the dialogue scenes, and you'll obviously miss dialogue depending on your race/class, whether you just skip it or don't want to pick certain options, or if you actually find every NPC etc

but either way the game is gonna be more than long enough. my mostly complete playthrough of DivOS2 (I don't go for achievements at all, but I try to do every single side quest and talk to everyone in RPG's) took a good 125 hours. I imagine BG3 will hit 150+ for a similar sort of playthrough

Been playing this on a whim after the "single-player, no micro transactions" posts went up on Reddit and am enjoying myself. Still early in though

Getting through the Goblin base was an absolute slog and now that's behind me the game feels fun again.[/spoilers]

This has been filling up my suggested content on YouTube and FB and stuff and it looks so good. Larian might be cementing themselves as the kings of RPG. I've already got games releasing that I promised myself I was playing from launch but it looks like BG3 is going to consume my Christmas holidays this year.

i didn't want to spoil myself on anything before the launch so i never touched it despite buying it around xmas last year. i think keeping myself truly blind has made the experience even more enjoyable for me
1691506402349.png
barely sunk my teeth into the game proper and i'm already loving it. having played the * out of dos 2 and some of their earlier RPGS (specifically divine divinity with my older brother) this is genuinely one of the most lovingly crafted revivals of a game that i've played in a long time. while doom 2016 (and subsequently doom eternal) were both fantastic games, resident evil 2, 3 and 4 remakes gave me some very fond memories of my younger childhood, nothing even comes close to this game. as others have said larian has cemented themselves as the king of RPGs (or CRPGs in this case) and it's a title they greatly deserve. they understand what makes the games good, the subtle humour (such as an intelligent troll) what makes turnbased combat good (in this case the faux randomness of dice rolls, and the inane collection objectives to make something perfect that'll never be perfect.

do yourself a favour and pick it up. i can't recommend it enough

Have flashed a fair bit of cash on a lot of games this year and have probably wasted it a bit as I haven't really played enough of them. FFX (12 hours), TOTK (20 hours) and Star Wars (30 or so hours - probably got my money out of this one).

That being said I remember playing Baldurs Gate as a kid and absolutely loving it. Might have to break the bank again for this. Looks fantastic.

Have flashed a fair bit of cash on a lot of games this year and have probably wasted it a bit as I haven't really played enough of them. FFX (12 hours), TOTK (20 hours) and Star Wars (30 or so hours - probably got my money out of this one).

That being said I remember playing Baldurs Gate as a kid and absolutely loving it. Might have to break the bank again for this. Looks fantastic.
I walked into a barn and caught an orc having sex with an ogre, failed a speech check to get out and had to kill them

10/10 game

Oh there’s a thread? I wasn’t sure.

I promised myself that I wasn’t going to buy a new game until I’d finished Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII Remake (in preparation for Rebirth next year) and Star Ocean 1 (in preparation for Star Ocean Second Story Remake in November) however I saw a trailer and bought this on a whim and every other game I was planning on playing/finishing this year has gone out the window.

It’s amazing. Probably my GOTY, was not expecting it to be as good as it is. I’ve played about 20 hours over two characters since it released last week and haven’t left the first act. It truly is an amazing game.

Is this accessible for noobs/scrubs? Never played anything from the series before.

What's the difficultly like compared to say Elden Ring? (Not comparing gameplay, just ease of getting into things new and overall difficulty)

Is this accessible for noobs/scrubs? Never played anything from the series before.

What's the difficultly like compared to say Elden Ring? (Not comparing gameplay, just ease of getting into things new and overall difficulty)
I’m a complete Baldur’s Gate and D & D noob, haven’t played either of them.

It’s fine. I think there was one fight about 15 hours into Act 1 where I had to drop the difficulty down from normal to story, was stuck for like 3 hours, but otherwise it’s fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back