Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Seriously, how damn good has the NBL been this season?

The difference between first and last isn't much at all. It's one of the tightest professional comps in any sport I've ever seen and the quality has been top drawer.

Doss, Kong, my friends I will here admit I watch the NBL over the BBL from Thursday to Sunday.

I've never really gotten into watching Basketball. I loved playing it because I was halfway decent but not really a watcher.

I'm the same
I think the NBL going off air through my school years didn't help

Having Fox has certainly helped my interest in the league grow. I'm taking the wife and kids to Thursday night's 36ers game, I'm really looking forward to it.

On the NBA, I'm really liking this resurgence Philly have been making in the last couple of weeks. They were down and out for quite a few seasons and to be honest, they were still there a few weeks ago with a team of kids and journeymen. Something has clicked of late, probably due to them having fewer injuries than they've had for some time hence being able to practice together, and they're not only challenging teams but winning quite a few.

On the NBA, I'm really liking this resurgence Philly have been making in the last couple of weeks. They were down and out for quite a few seasons and to be honest, they were still there a few weeks ago with a team of kids and journeymen. Something has clicked of late, probably due to them having fewer injuries than they've had for some time hence being able to practice together, and they're not only challenging teams but winning quite a few.
The biggest thing is getting one of the best talents of the last decade healthy and playing, in the end, the NBA is about having top end talent. It's super exciting to watch, especially since I watched prob 95% of the games during this tank period so it's nice not only to have a guy who can be historically great but who has a real energetic and vibrant personality too.

I have been following the NBA for about eight or so years now. It started off as a sport to watch while the footy was off but I've become passionate over the years since. I went to Miami to see the Heat play twelve months ago and saw a handful of games both there and in LA which only made me love it more.

I can't say I enjoy NBL though, it's a bit lacklustre.

I have been following the NBA for about eight or so years now. It started off as a sport to watch while the footy was off but I've become passionate over the years since. I went to Miami to see the Heat play twelve months ago and saw a handful of games both there and in LA which only made me love it more.

I can't say I enjoy NBL though, it's a bit lacklustre.

I think comparing any league to the NBA it comes away looking a bit lacklustre. As a whole though, I think the NBL has come on very strongly over the last few seasons. It'd be good if the NBL could arrange a free to air deal to expand to a wider audience

I think comparing any league to the NBA it comes away looking a bit lacklustre. As a whole though, I think the NBL has come on very strongly over the last few seasons. It'd be good if the NBL could arrange a free to air deal to expand to a wider audience
They had that, channel 10 did the league no favours with the way they covered it. I think Fox has done a great job promoting it by showing every game vs 10 showing a few a week. Agreed tho the level of play is higher than it's ever been, NBL starting to become and attractive place for internationals to come to which was one of the things that helped so much during the 90s.

Yeah good point, a few games inevitably involving the Kings or United every time won't do much for the exposure of the NBL.

Side note - Philly just knocked off Toronto which would have to be their best win of the season. I'm a Pistons man (who are dismantling Atlanta atm) but Philly have become my 2nd team all of a sudden. Another ripper game by Embiid, it's hard to believe he's only playing 25 - 27 minutes a night with the numbers he's putting up.

Yeah good point, a few games inevitably involving the Kings or United every time won't do much for the exposure of the NBL.

Side note - Philly just knocked off Toronto which would have to be their best win of the season. I'm a Pistons man (who are dismantling Atlanta atm) but Philly have become my 2nd team all of a sudden. Another ripper game by Embiid, it's hard to believe he's only playing 25 - 27 minutes a night with the numbers he's putting up.
His offense is good, but it's his defense that's the best part, a guy who's 7'2 who can switch onto guards and stay with them and the way he protects the rim is incredible. He's going to be all time great if his health holds up, only started playing in 2011 and missed 2 years of that time.

There's gonna be a lot of ppl jumping on the Sixer bandwagon soon, especially when Simmons debuts.

I want to like it. I just think some of the franchises are a bit tired. I watched the South Dragons as a kid so I think there needs to be a new team in Victoria for the rest of us who dislike that crappy Tigers United club. Brisbane Bullets are a great addition to the league. A second Melbourne side and a Western Sydney team to capitilise on the East vs West mentality in Sydney would really reboot the league.

I want to like it. I just think some of the franchises are a bit tired. I watched the South Dragons as a kid so I think there needs to be a new team in Victoria for the rest of us who dislike that crappy Tigers United club. Brisbane Bullets are a great addition to the league. A second Melbourne side and a Western Sydney team to capitilise on the East vs West mentality in Sydney would really reboot the league.

I hope they don't make a second Melb team for a while, I grew up in love with the league when there was the Melb Tigers, North Melb Giants and the South East Melbourne Magic. The Tigers obv stayed a while but you ended up seeing those teams fall away (tried and failed to turn them into other stuff like the South Dragons) and the league I think experienced a drop off of interest due to the talent being spread out through so many teams, there's less teams now and the league is stronger for it. Don't think the talent pool is strong enough to sustain more teams as of now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to stick a fork in Bogut.

While it sucks for him to be injured again I don't think he would have really seen much of any court time in the finals but it would have been another useful guy for them in their journey to get to that point.

As my brother put it - he was traded in to complete 4 hard fouls every game lol

While it sucks for him to be injured again I don't think he would have really seen much of any court time in the finals but it would have been another useful guy for them in their journey to get to that point.

Pretty much this. Not a bad player to have on your bench when fit. Golden State clearly missed him when he went down in the finals last year.

I kind of hope he does a tell all book. Think it'd be quite interesting.

Anybody think Cleveland are in danger of losing the #1 seeding to Boston? They're 16 points down vs Denver and are only 2 games clear of Boston. Let's compare the run homes (after this game for Cleveland):

Boston: 5x top 8 sides. 1x top 4 side. 5x bottom 7 sides. 3x bottom 2 sides.
Cleveland: 8x top 8 sides. 4x top 4 sides. 4x bottom 7 sides. 1x bottom 2 side.

Anybody think Cleveland are in danger of losing the #1 seeding to Boston? They're 16 points down vs Denver and are only 2 games clear of Boston. Let's compare the run homes (after this game for Cleveland):

Boston: 5x top 8 sides. 1x top 4 side. 5x bottom 7 sides. 3x bottom 2 sides.
Cleveland: 8x top 8 sides. 4x top 4 sides. 4x bottom 7 sides. 1x bottom 2 side.
Wouldn't surprise me if they dropped to the 2nd seed. Not sure it would really bother Lebron all that much, the only thing that matters to them is being healthy come playoff time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back