Bean Dailey Takes Charge: Season 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2011
loɔɐʇıou:
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Welcome to Bean Dailey Takes Charge: Season 2008. In this thread I will be attempting to recreate and reimagine Melbourne’s 2008 season as coach Bean Dailey, with your help.
Having been put in charge just a week out from the start of the preseason competition, we'll help Bean to evaluate the list, develop it, coach it and shape it. Everything from training to scouting, game day tactics to list management strategy will be determined by your input and involvement.

Table of Contents
Frequently Asked Questions (Info)
Demons Name New Coach (Media)
List Analysis (Info)
How To Train Your Demons (Info)
Dailey Exercises His Demons (Media)
Pre-Season Game 1 (Match)
Pre-Season Round Up 1 (Review)
Pre-Season Game 2 (Match)
Pre-Season Round Up 2 (Review)
Pre-Season Game 3 (Match)
Pre-Season Round Up 3 (Review)
Slothful Incompetence Reigns Supreme at Demons HQ (Media)
Pre-Season Game 4 (Match)
Pre-Season Round Up 4 (Review)
Team-by-Team Preview (Media)
Reserves, List Management and Scouting (Info)
Round 1 (Preview)
Round 1 (Match)
Round 1 (Round Up)
Demons In Crisis, Future In Doubt (Media)
Round 2 (Preview)
Round 2 (Match)
Round 2 (Round Up)
Ambitious McNamee Named Demons CEO, Could He Be The Last? (Media)
Round 3 (Preview)
Round 3 (Match)
Round 3 (Round Up)
Laidley Looking to Next Week Already (Media)
Round 4 (Preview)
Round 4 (Match)
Round 4 (Round Up)
Round 5 (Preview)
Round 5 (Match)
Round 5 (Round Up)
Round 5 Player Contracts (Info)

These would probably become
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
if I didn’t answer them straight off the bat here.

What is this?
This is the 2008 Melbourne Demons’ season, reimagined with the help of a simulation game and Bigfooty.

How does it work?
I take suggestions from you, the Bigfooty public, and input them into the game. I then take the results and write them up in this thread.

What’s the game?
Footy Fanatic FX.

Thanks, so why can’t I just play it myself?
Because then I’d just be a weirdo posting stuff by myself. Also, you don’t get the interaction of a whole forum trying to win a premiership together.

How do I get involved?
There will be selection discussions, Best and Fairest voting, talking about recruitment and scouting as well as media articles written and discussed. Just join in as if this was all taking place in the real world.

So it’s like deliberate mass-delusion?
I prefer to call it “having fun” but I guess your version also works.

How do people write articles?
They can either ask me for information about a player, team or another part of the game that I can give them ideas, information or stats on, or they can make it up by themselves. If you get involved, I might suggest things for you to help out with. If you’re interested, just PM me.

Why is that player/team doing so well/poorly in your game? It didn’t happen like that in the real world!
The team lists are as realistic as I could get them, but there are many cases where things might go differently. A heap of players might or might not get injured, players with a lot of potential might not come on as they did historically and others might not live up to their real life counterparts. It makes the game much less interesting if things happen exactly as they did 4 years ago (especially for us Melbourne supporters :()

Isn’t this just like the SFA?
No. The SFA is built around opposition sides competing against each other in a rudimentary Aussie Rules game simulator. Bean Dailey’s adventure uses a game which contains most of the important functions running an AFL club season-by-season. Still, the SFA is awesome and you should check it out.

I’ve played Footy Fanatic and it’s nothing like this, what’s going on?
I’m interpreting the game to make it more like following an actual season and also more fun.

Where do you get all your ideas from?
There’s a shop on Church St near where it turns into Chapel St just over the Burnley tunnel. On your right, you can’t miss it.

Demons Name New Coach
By Brett Gastogne

After an exhaustive search, the Melbourne Demons have named Bean Dailey their coach for the 2008 season. Flanked by club CEO Steve Harris and President Paul Gardner, Dailey was presented to the media just a week before the start of the pre-season competition after the search for a coach to replace Neale Daniher dragged on longer than anticipated. The Club’s administration was heavily criticised as the season approached without a senior coach, but Harris stated that Dailey was the man they wanted all along.

“Bean is a highly qualified candidate and one of the most impressive interviewees any of the expert panel had ever seen for any position,” Harris said in a prepared statement to a packed Junction Oval locker room.

Gardner emphasised how relieved and energised the club was by the announcement. “We can’t quite believe that we have such a talented and experienced young coach to lead our team to the success we all know he will lead us to,” said Gardner in his own statement.

Bean Dailey himself made a short, unprepared statement before taking questions from the media. “There is only one goal worth aiming for in the AFL, and that’s a Premiership,” he said. “The Melbourne Football Club hasn’t achieved that goal since 10 years before I was born. I think it’s high time we changed that. In fact, I believe the Melbourne supporters are owed a dynasty the likes of which hasn’t been seen since Norm Smith made the Demons a team to be feared. I see it as my job to make sure that all those who love the Melbourne Football Club see it strong once again, and I will stop at nothing to make sure this club is strong again. Any questions?”

Dailey said he “would have liked” to have been involved in the off-season trading and drafting period (during which the Demons traded Travis Johnstone for a first round pick and selected Cale Morton, Jack Grimes and Addam Maric in the first round) but didn’t see his lack of input as something that would have a massive impact on how the club would move forward. “In the end, you always want to have at least one season to judge players on their merits.”

“I’m not one to be swayed by players’ reputations. I care about winning premierships, and if a player isn’t going to help us do that, he won’t play in any team I coach, regardless of how much money he’s on, how many years of service he’s given to the side or how great he was last year.”

On the topics of training, selection and list management, Dailey was equivocal: “It’d be hasty to talk about that before I got to know my playing group,” but hinted that changes within the football department were likely. “I’ll be looking closely at the recruitment department and also the coaching group. Over my time as a coach I’ve seen a lot of great people from all over the country who can add to the Dees.”

Dailey described himself as a coach who “demands that my players be as good as they can be individually [and] willing to make any sacrifice collectively.”

The last question of the press conference was how he would like to be remembered as a coach once his time was over at the club. Dailey was typically ambitious: “Someone who helped this club be truly great again.”

A long and winding coaching road…
1974 - Born to Keith Dailey and wife Beth, two days after Keith was B.O.G. captaining Cobram to Grand Final glory in the Murray Football League.
1989 - At the age of just 15 has already coached his younger brother’s Under 12s side to a premiership.
1990 - A talented midfielder for the Cobram Tigers, he is regarded as one of the best youngsters from country Victoria, along with schoolmate Shane Crawford. However, a severe knee injury at the age of 16 ends his dream of becoming an AFL footballer, as his family cannot afford to pay for a full knee reconstruction.
1993 - While studying physiotherapy in Melbourne, begins helping his local amateur club, Albert Park, initially as a trainer and runner.
1994 - After injuring his other knee, he moves into an assistant coaching role, helping the club to a premiership and promotion to 2nd division.
1995 - Returned to Cobram in mid-season to take over as coach after his father’s death in a car crash. Cobram defeat Deniliquin in an emotional Grand Final.
1996 - Finishes study in Melbourne and begins to practice physiotherapy in Cobram District Hospital while coaching the Cobram Tigers.
1998 - Cobram Tigers win another Premiership, defeating Congupna.
1999 - Fills the vacant UNSW-Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs Premier-division coaching position in the Sydney AFL League while practising at a local clinic.
2002-03 - Wins back-to-back Coach of the Year awards while the Bulldogs win back-to-back flags in the Sydney AFL league.
2004 - Takes over the reins of last years’ wooden spoon winning Gippsland Power in the TAC Cup Under 18s competition in Victoria.
2005 - Employed by Collingwood Magpies as Assistant Development coach while also coaching Gippsland Power, who win the TAC Cup.
2006 - Moved to Assistant Coach (defence) at Collingwood.
2008 - Named Senior Coach of Melbourne Demons.

Who is Bean Dailey?
  • 34 years old.
  • Only boy among seven children of Keith and Beth Dailey.
  • Nickname: “Flicker”
  • Knocked out Shane Crawford in an all-in-brawl at an Under 16s match in Finley. The two were both boarders at Assumption College at the time and Crawford was so concussed afterwards he forgot who had hit him.
  • Has had 4 knee operations (3 on the right, one on the left)
  • St Kilda supporter as a child.
  • Played for Cobram Tigers and Assumption College as an under-age player.
  • Since starting professional coaching in 1995, has won 5 premierships in 13 years.
  • Eloped to Vanuatu with the older sister of one of his players at UNSW-Eastern Suburbs in 2001. They now have two children.
  • Until 2005 was a practicing physiotherapist as well as part time coach.
What they said about Dailey…
  • “Bean is one of the sharpest young tacticians I’ve seen come through the system. He has an incredible capacity to take in information, process it and come to the right conclusion before anyone else does.” –Tom Delaney, President of the UNSW-Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs.
  • “We are proud that Flicker Dailey has had such a massive impact on our club. Despite having left three years ago, he is still talked about as someone who completely changed our football club for the better.” – Peter Francis, Regional Manager of the Gippsland Power
  • “Congrats to Flicker. Melbourne will be a force pretty soon, I reckon.” – James Clement, Collingwood All-Australian defender
  • “I have nothing but praise for Bean Dailey. I think he will be an excellent coach for Melbourne and he is an outstanding young man.” – Michael Malthouse, Senior Coach of Collingwood.
  • “There is no greater compliment I can give him than to say that I know Keith would be the proudest father in the world. He’s a Cobram boy come good and we’ll all be rooting for him.” Graham McDonald, Publican of the Cobram Hotel.

Bean, I've seen this young Cale Morton chap that's been recruited in the draft - I think he will be a superstar.
Funny you should say that. I've had a chat to all the FD people, the assistant coaches and interviewed all the players and come up with an analysis of the list. Obviously on-field work is the most important indicator of how useful they'll be to the club but it's a start. Here are my notes:
Melbourne List 2008 –

1.Simon Buckley: a young back flanker who can run through the midfield, Buckley can get his hands on it but his disposal is iffy and defensive side needs work. Is still developing and might have a future, but is unlikely to become a star.

2.Nathan Jones: a hard midfielder with a thirst for the contest. Disposal in need of a lot of work but if he can fix that he will work hard all day long and be a good solid player going forward. 2nd in the BnF last year in just his second full year of senior footy.

3.Clint Bartram: Has been tried around the ground but seems to be best suited to a defensive role. Hard worker on and off the field but is a very poor user of the ball when he gets it, which isn’t often enough. Popular team member but has spent a lot of time on the injury list and missed all of last year.

4.Ben Holland: Provides a big, mature body at either end of the ground, but not much else. Is a decent kick for goal from long range but shaky in most other situations. His body is starting to give out on him too.

5.Brock McLean: Could be a star if he applied himself. When he’s on he gets a lot of it and can be damaging. When he’s off, he’s almost invisible. If he puts it all together he has the potential to lead the side to glory, even if he is one of the slowest players in the game.

6.Matthew Bate: a mid-sized forward with a long kick and solid body. Too small to be a KPF but can still be very dangerous and is one of our primary avenues to attack. 3rd in the BnF last year.

7.Brad Miller: Could be the one to take over from Neitz as a full forward, but needs to take that next step, and soon. If he put on a bit of muscle and took his opportunities he has potential as a serviceable KPF or even better. Has also shown aptitude as a defender when tried down back.

8.James Frawley: is lightly built, a heart-in-the-mouth kick and young, but still shows promise as a defender. Might be a bit of a project but has good instincts and displays flashes of the leadership and attacking flair that got him to the club in the first place.

9.David Neitz: games and goals record holder of the club, captain and legend full forward. Until last year time was treating him well and his hands and kicking boots remain strong and sure but has struggled with injuries and could be in the twilight of his career.

10.Cale Morton: Number 4 pick last year. Huge aerobic capacity, knows where to go to get a lot of the ball, thumping kick and versatile. Has displayed an aversion to getting his own ball and needs a bit of mollycoddling to keep his confidence up but could be an incredible weapon as an outside runner.

11.Paul Johnson: A ruckman who can play forward at a pinch, PJ has been hit by injury and long patches of poor form. Played well last year but his tap-work is less than exemplary and his work around the ground doesn’t add up to the sum of its potential.

12.Colin Sylvia: Another who should play better than he has, Sylvia has all the tools to be a midfield star and a damaging mid-sized forward, but has shown only glimpses of being either. Can rack up big numbers and is a good mark and shot for goal but needs to do it more consistently.

13.Adem Yze: A star for a long time, Oooze is finally starting to feel the wear and tear of 11 straight years of AFL. Still a good kick, mark and reader of the play, all those talents are starting to fade as his body gives out. Versatile and occasionally spectacular, he can still contribute to the team.

14.Lynden Dunn: a ratbag who gets under the skin of even the most saintly of players, Dunn is a utility who can kick goals and tag players. Decent without stunning skills and a big heart get him to most contests but he is neither the most useful, nor the most consistent player in the side.

15.Ricky Petterd: has shown promise at both ends of the ground but is injury-prone and inconsistent. Great hands and good kicking mean he may be worth persisting with through his long rehab stints.

16.Jack Grimes: selected with the pick we got for Travis Johnstone last year, this defender shows a lot of talent. Is very injury-prone but can certainly play and is a very popular team member. A good kick and great defensive instinct make him one to watch for the future.

17.Chris Johnson: A mid-sized defender with a decent kick and not much else to recommend him. He could be a good solid player if he took the next step but hasn’t shown many signs of anything greater. There is competition for his spot so will need to find more of the ball or get a run through the midfield if he wants to keep his spot.

18.Brad Green: one of few stars in the team, the mid-sized utility gets a lot of the ball and uses it well when he has it. Has improved his toughness in recent years and retains a dead-eye dick record in front of goal.

19.Addam Maric: a late first rounder from last year’s draft, the small forward/mid has shown he can get a lot of it and use it well in lower leagues. Slightly detached attitude and a relaxed view of training but is still young and should be a good player going forward if he can replicate the sort of form he showed in the AFL.

20.Colin Garland: drafted as a key forward, he didn’t show much but was switched to defence late last year and showed a lot of promise. Still young and slender, he’s got a good kick, good hands and natural defensive instincts. Shows a bit of promise for the future if he can bulk up.

21.Daniel Bell: midsized defender who could be useful as a midfield tagger, Bell is recovering from a big hit late last year. Iffy disposal when he gets it and can be caught out of position occasionally but fights hard and has a lot of heart. Needs to improve to ward off others looking to take his spot.

22.Brent Moloney: a strong, bullocking mid plagued by injuries, Moloney could provide a presence around the packs if only he could get on the ground more than a few times this season. Has a tendency to just bomb it long but gets enough of it to be damaging more often than not.

23.James MacDonald: back-to-back Best and Fairest winner, senior leader and one of the best defensive mids in the league. Durable, reliable and a great leader, JMac should once again be one of the first picked every week.

24.Russell Robertson: a high flying small forward with a penchant for goalkicking and an unfulfilled lust for the keys to the Mark of the Year car, Robbo is the reigning leading goalkicker and despite an aging body, should be one of the key avenues to goal this year.

25.Kyle Cheney: a young running defender with a lot of upside, he was taken late in last year’s draft. His skills certainly need work but with a bit of polish he could join our young backline and be an important step going forward. Needs work on disposal and his marking.

27.Jared Rivers: despite missing most of 4 from the last 6 years of football, Rivers is still one of the best key defenders in the team. Occasionally outbodied, he is excellent in the air and a good kick. If he can stay injury free he should be able to contribute.

28.Isaac Weetra: a speculative late pick in last year’s draft, this youngster shows a bit of versatility and quick hands but might need a bit of time to develop.

29.Michael Newton: having spent most of three years in the magoos, Newton took his chance late last year as a high flying full forward. Still needs to put a bit of weight on and his goal kicking looks a little shaky at AFL level but he looks a good prospect.

31.Paul Wheatley: Defender with a thumping kick and good hands. Hardly a world beater but still solid despite getting on in years. Should be good to keep around our younger defenders for another year or two, if his body holds up.

32.Cameron Bruce: One of a handful of players in our team who would get a game at any other team, the utility has class and is a previous BnF runner-up. He should be right at the peak of his powers and has great leadership skills.

33.Stefan Martin: a project tall man who has the potential to be anything. Played a lot in defence last year but has a great leap and long reach, meaning he could be a ruckman or even a forward. Doesn’t read the game very well but is very athletic and can pick the ball up off the ground well for a big man.

34.Jeff White: a champion ruckman and one of the very best this club has had, White is now coming to the end of a long and successful career. Given his position as our primary ruckman has never really been under threat when fit, we need him to continue to provide cover and guidance to our young rucks as they develop.

35.Trent Zomer (Rookie): a tall youngster with a good leap and reach, Zomer is considered a project tall utility, able to ruck as well as play forward and back. Having dominated lower leagues he has yet to prove himself at VFL level, let alone AFL, and will take time to come into his own, if ever.

36.Aaron Davey: quick and with and incredible kick, Davey is a flexible small. Able to play midfield or in defence in stints, he’s spent most of his time as a defensive forward, able to harry the best playmakers. Reliable in front of goal, he also provides good leadership at the club.

37.Matthew Warnock: a big bodied defender, Warnock is an excellent defensive player and would be an integral part of the side were it not for his composure, which is sub-standard. Poor with ball in hand or when trying to mark under little pressure, Warnock is superb at blunting the attacking game of both teams in the one game.

39.Austin Wonaeamirri (Rookie): an exciting pick up from the Tiwi Islands, Wonna is a young full forward with a thirst for goals and hunger that might get him on the wrong side of our fitness staff. He certainly needs to work on his tank but good skills and a natural understanding of the game mean he may be on our senior list before too long.

40.Mark Jamar: big, tall and with a good grasp of the basics of ruckwork, Jamar should be the natural successor to Jeff White. But a lack of opportunities matched with competition from the other ruckmen mean he hasn’t come on as we would have hoped. Only one good season in the last 6 mean that he will need to cement his position soon.

41.Nathan Caroll: there’s no doubt Nathan is a talented defender but a lack of focus and application combine to make him one of the first likely to make way for our young defenders. Needs to become much more professional if he is going to make it on our list.

42.Jake Spencer (Rookie): tall, thin and awkward, he is playing just his 3rd year of football after swapping from basketball as a youth. A ruckman with a good leap, he nonetheless needs a lot of work on his skills and will need to show improvement as well as weight gain to make an impact going forward.

43.Jace Bode: and athlete with a decent kick, this defender showed a little (but only a little) in his first few games last year. Will need to work on his defending, disposal, reading of the game and everything else before he becomes established in the team.

44.Shane Valenti (Rookie): a natural reader of the play and hard runner, the young mid lacks for speed and polish. Will get a lot of the ball but it remains to be seen how damaging he can be at AFL level. If he can fix the deficiencies in his game, he might just be the pick of last year’s rookie draft.

45.Matthew Whelan: a courageous and tough small back, Whelan has spent most of the last eight years either playing against the best small forward in the league or recovering from injury. Unlike our other small forwards, his disposal isn’t under question and he remains a defensively excellent player.

Im in, this looks really fun! Great way to get me though this week of exams, and then a summer of doing nothing :)

Okay, the first thing we need to get on with is setting up a training regimen for the squad. We have training and fitness staff, plus coaches, who can run sessions for the following groups: Rucks, key backmen, key forwards, backs, forwards and mids, plus a rehab group.

Players can train in either one or two of those groups (unless they’re in rehab). They can also train lightly, heavily or they can get flogged. The heavier they are trained, the more likely they’ll get injured during the session and the less energy they’ll have for the game that week. The lighter they train, the less likely they are to develop their skills and stamina. We can change which group and how hard a player trains in on a weekly basis. As such, I’ve got Bodhan Babijczuk (who is apparently the closest this club has to a fitness guru) to draw up a list of which players are suited to which training groups.

traininggroups.png

The players in blue are really only suited to the one training type. The players in red can play in two positions. They could train in both groups or just the one. The green players can go in more than two positions. We’ll need to choose who they train with.

Those in the rehab group are Neitz, White, Bartram, Holland and Frawley. All these guys have minor niggles picked up during the pre-season training. They’ll be good to go in a couple of weeks but for now can only do light running.

What I’d like feedback on is the following:
As a general policy, do those players who can train in two groups focus only on their strengths, or go in both groups?
How do we train those who are in green?
Are there any players you feel could pick up skills outside their usual training groups?
How hard do we train our players? Do we train older players and injury prone players less? Do we train all the younger players harder to develop their skills? Do we just flog everyone on the track? Do we train everyone lightly to prepare them for the season?

If you want to have a go at saying what and how hard each player should train, here’s the list for you to copy:
Aaron Davey
Addam Maric
Adem Yze
Austin Wonaeamirri
Ben Holland
Brad Green
Brad Miller
Brent Moloney
Brock McLean
Cale Morton
Cameron Bruce
Chris Johnson
Clint Bartram
Colin Garland
Colin Sylvia
Daniel Bell
David Neitz
Isaac Weetra
Jace Bode
Jack Grimes
Jake Spencer
James Frawley
James McDonald
Jared Rivers
Jeff White
John Meesen
Kyle Cheney
Lynden Dunn
Mark Jamar
Matthew Bate
Matthew Warnock
Matthew Whelen
Michael Newton
Nathan Caroll
Nathan Jones
Paul Johnson
Paul Wheatley
Ricky Petterd
Russell Robertson
Shane Valenti
Simon Buckley
Stefan Martin
Tom McNamara
Trent Zomer

If you have any other questions I can pass them on to the coaching staff and get an answer for you.

As a general policy, do those players who can train in two groups focus only on their strengths, or go in both groups?
Yep, focus on there strengths - unless there are a couple of players who have very similar ratings in two positions, then train them in two groups.

How do we train those who are in green?
Again, I'd focus on their best areas - unless you have a specific role you want them to play.

Senior players like Neitz/Bruce who have already developed fully - I'd just train them in the role they're intended for... it's more the younger guys I'd want to see develop some versatility.

Are there any players you feel could pick up skills outside their usual training groups?
I'd think about getting some forward flexibility into the younger ruck options like Jamar and some of the older midfielders like McLean and Moloney.

How hard do we train our players? Do we train older players and injury prone players less? Do we train all the younger players harder to develop their skills? Do we just flog everyone on the track? Do we train everyone lightly to prepare them for the season?

Train the kents hard, taper off in the last week of the NAB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dailey Exercises his Demons
By John McCormack

Bean Dailey showed his players no mercy in their first open training session at Junction Oval today, pushing them harder than they had trained all preseason just 4 days out from their opening NAB Cup game.

Just days after Collingwood and Adelaide played the year’s first game in Dubai, the Melbourne players hit the track hard in sweltering conditions as their new coach ran his eyes over his new playing group. A large crowd (for a preseason training session, at least) watched on as players run laps, completed skill exercises and were drilled on their new game plan as the senior coach watched on, barking instructions and taking page after page of notes.

“I know most of their names,” said a smiling Dailey after the session concluded, “although Trent Zomer and Michael Newton I’m struggling to get right.”

“The boys trained well, I’m sure there will be a few sore bodies tonight but it was important to set the tone for the rest of the year and get an idea of how willing they are to put in.”

Dailey said he would review the session with his assistant coaches before naming his side tomorrow, but agreed that some of the players certainly put their hand up for selection with their attitude in the difficult conditions, but refused to name names. He did rule out David Neitz and Jeff White however, who spent the session jogging laps.

“Neita’s got an issue with his wrist which we’ll manage. It’s just one of those things you don’t want to rush because it has the potential to blow up if it’s pushed too hard too early. Jeff copped a knock to his knee a few weeks ago and is just starting to regain a bit of fitness. He’ll be back in full training next week and he’ll have to earn his spot back from whoever rucks in a couple of days’ time.”

Dailey said he was “fairly happy” with the performance of the squad but insisted there was a long way to go yet. “We’re just starting to have a look at what we really need to work on, but any team that plays like it did last year will be looking to improve and we’re hoping to start that right here.”

Dailey again batted away questions about the selection process that resulted in him taking charge just a few days out from the start of the season, repeating that his focus was what was in front of him as coach, not behind him as candidate. “My job is now to coach the Melbourne Football Club to a premiership, not concern myself with how I got that job.”

But the pressure that mounted on the Melbourne hierarchy during the off season has only intensified now that a coach has been named, with Melbourne supporter and broadcaster Derryn Hinch calling for the board to step down. “This has gone on long enough,” said Hinch on his radio show today. “Those at the top need to take responsibility for what’s gone on. Someone needs to take charge at Melbourne and they need to do it soon. Someone with talent and a level head on their shoulders. Who do you think it should be? Give us a call now.”

Ok, with our first game for the pre-season tomorrow night, we need to select a team. Here's a rough 22 I've come up with. Any changes you guys would like to see?

Code:
FB:    Daniel Bell  - Matthew Warnock -  Paul Wheatley
B:    Colin Garland -  Jared Rivers  -  Cale Morton
C:    Brock McLean  -  Brad Green    -  Nathan Jones
F:    Colin Sylvia  -  Aaron Davey  -    Adem Yze
FF:  Matthew Bate  -  Brad Miller  -Russell Robertson
Foll:  Mark Jamar  - James McDonald  -  Cameron Bruce
Int: Brent Moloney - Lynden Dunn - Paul Johnson - Michael Newton

Remember that Neitz, White, Bartram, Holland and Frawley are injured, but all the others from post #10 are available.

Have at it chaps, team needs to be finalised by 8pm tonight.

I did forget to mention that in the first game of the year, we'll be playing last year's premiers Geelong at Geelong, so... yeah...
Matthew Whelan needs to be in that squad.
Good point. In place of? Bell? Dunn maybe?

Garland to CHF, Davey to back pocket?
I like the idea of Garland back if we have Frawley out, otherwise we need to play Rivers on a big forward. I can swap Bate in at CHF if you want a bigger bodied player there.

In the games already played this week:
Magpies: 4.3 6.8 9.12 15.14.104
Crows: 4.3 5.5 8.9 9.11.65

Saints: 2.3 4.9 6.17 11.19.85
Tigers: 2.3 2.5 6.7 10.8.68

Bulldogs: 1.4 4.6 7.9 13.9.87
Bombers: 2.3 4.5 7.7 11.14.80

The game between Melbourne and Geelong at Skilled Stadium is now beginning.

Inaccurate Cats Outlast Unfit Demons
by Jacob Nembry
Cats: 5.6 8.12 9.17 16.22.118
Demons: 2.3 7.5 9.8 9.10.64

It was, by no means, a pretty match but reigning premiers Geelong have kicked off 2008 with a victory over the lowly Demons. In a team missing only new St Kilda ruckman Steven King and walkabout forward Nathan Ablett from the team that destroyed Port Adelaide in the Grand Final, Geelong were rusty but eventually too fit and too good for Melbourne. The Demons honoured new coach Bean Dailey’s promise to fans that they would take the game on against their much vaunted rivals but fell short, scoring just 2 behinds to the Cats’ 7.5.

Entering the game 8.60 outsiders, the Dees took it up to Geelong early, hitting the lead at the 7 minute mark of the game with a Brad Green set shot from 50m on a tight angle. With a mix of old (James MacDonald, Cam Bruce and Brad Green) and young (Nathan Jones and 4th pick Cale Morton) faces lining up against the hardened Geelong midfield, the Demons managed to keep themselves in touch, with some help from a wasteful Geelong forwardline. Aaron Davey, previously a forward, was effective in the middle for the Demons, while young tall Colin Garland had a lot of the ball, though his kicking was no better than his direct opponent Steve Johnson, who kicked 0.5 for the game.

Geelong continued to throw away chances in the second quarter, kicking 4 consecutive behinds before Melbourne got on top. Brent Moloney’s first was followed by another from Green, a Russell Robertson special, another to Moloney and a superb chase-down-recover-and-snap from Matthew Bate. The Demons frustrated their opponents, out-running and out-smarting them as they came within a kick. But a case of the yips from Cameron Bruce on kick-out duties infected the team and Geelong piled on 3.2 in the last five minutes of the quarter, including a Shannon Byrnes buzzer-beater, arrested the momentum and helped the Cats out to a comfortable lead at half time.

Skill errors and poor decision making wracked both teams as the second half got off to a messy start. The Cats kicked one goal and five behinds in the first ten minutes of the quarter, to Melbourne’s two behinds, all eight shots gettable chances. But it was the old hands at the Demons who stood up to be counted, with stand-in captain James MacDonald leading the way with help from Robertson, Davey, Adem Yze and Colin Sylvia. Locking the ball in their forward half, they couldn’t take full advantage but still managed one each to Green and Robertson, going into the final break just 9 points down.

It was close enough for Mark Thompson to hand out his first spray of the year and Geelong responded with a withering seven goals last quarter. Swamped by a champion side that were out of first gear for the only time all day, Melbourne capitulated. Shannon Byrnes, Cam Mooney and even Ryan Gamble and Tom Harley got in on the act as the Cats put the Demons in their place. Many players looked to have hit the wall by halfway through the quarter as the Cats did as they pleased, eventually settling for a 54 point drubbing.

Finishing with 25 fewer inside 50s (59 to 34) frustrated Bean Dailey, especially since his team almost broke even with clearances (36 to 35) and dominated the hitouts (41-to 25). Of further concern is the fact his charges ran out of puff at three quarter time in the very first game of the season: Cam Bruce, Jared Rivers, Adem Yze and Aaron Davey had a combined three possessions in the last quarter.

“This is all a part of the learning process,” said Dailey philosophically after the game, “both for me to learn about the players and the players to learn about how I want them to play. Certainly the last quarter was not an example of the latter. We’ll have a look at that, the players will have a look at that, and they’ll be aware of how unacceptable that sort of effort is by the time we start the season proper.”

For Geelong this game was a slight concern, though Thompson was quick to point out that the Cats were not taking this preseason too seriously. “We only played Cam Mooney in the first and last quarter because he’s still recovering from a shoulder concern. We tried Tom Hawkins in defence and he kept Miller very quiet. When we needed to we pulled our fingers out and beat them.” Gary Ablett Jnr. gave the Cats’ fans a scare when he emerged from the three quarter time huddle and went straight to the bench to ice up his knee, but Thompson insisted “it was just a knock he’d received in third quarter and Thompson didn’t want to risk him. I think overall it was a good hit out and we’ll see where we are next week.”

Next week sees the Cats play the Saints, victors in their game against the Tigers. For the Demons, they are eliminated from the NAB Cup, but play the loser of the Kangaroos Vs Lions match in an exhibition match next week.

Here are the stats:
ps1g.png

ps1c.png

ps1da.png

Weekly Round Up:

Games:
Magpies Dispatch Crows in Dubai
Magpies: 15.14.104
Crows: 9.11.65

Wayward Saints account for Tigers
Saints: 2.3 4.9 6.17 11.19.85
Tigers: 2.3 2.5 6.7 10.8.68

Dead-eye Dogs defeat Dons
Bulldogs: 1.4 4.6 7.9 13.9.87
Bombers: 2.3 4.5 7.7 11.14.80

Inaccurate Cats Outlast Unfit Demons
Cats: 5.6 8.12 9.17 16.22.118
Demons: 2.3 7.5 9.8 9.10.64

Power Out-Shoot Blues in Last Quarter
Power: 3.4 6.8 10.10 21.22.148
Blues: 4.4 7.6 12.8 18.15.123

Roos Mauled First Up By Lions
Kangaroos: 2.6 5.13 9.13 14.14.98
Lions: 2.1 5.8 8.14 16.17.113

Swans Fight Back Falls Short
Hawks: 2.3 5.6 6.8 7.8.50
Swans: 0.5 0.5 3.9 6.13.49

Dockers' Derby Delight
Dockers: 3.1 7.7 11.8 16.10.106
Eagles: 4.0 6.2 8.7 9.10.64

Injury List:
Demons: D.Neitz - wrist (1-2 weeks), J.Frawley - hamstring (test), J.White - leg (test), C.Bartram - knee (2-3 weeks), B.Holland - shoulder (test)
Others: D.Jolly (Coll) - hamstring (4-6 weeks), B.Dalzeill (Bris) - hamstring (3-4 weeks), N.Lonie (P.Adel) - knee (10 weeks), D.Giansiracusa (W.Bull) - ankle (2-3 weeks).

Tribunal:
M.Warnock (Melb) cited on video evidence of charging Cameron Ling. 2 week suspension (served during the pre-season)
Warnock arrived late at a marking contest and made a clumsy attempt to avoid contact. The field umpire gave a free kick but did not report Warnock. The MRP assessed the charge as reckless, medium impact to the body, which Warnock challenged at the tribunal but lost.

Well, given we faded badly in the last quarter, should we continue training hard to build stamina in the long term or reduce the load so we can run out a game?

Porque no las dos?!

But seriously..... train hard - tis only pre season still right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back