Music Beginner guitarist seeking advice

Remove this Banner Ad

my guitar playing friend did say they were a bit gritty, leading to my fingers getting sorer - string change is next on the agenda

I couldn't believe it actually, I was round his place and found a nylon string, I was playing note perfect!

get back to the steel string, getting the fuzz when im a little off, he said don't get sucked in to the nylon, its not the way forward.
Unless you're interested in Spanish/Flamenco/classical playing. Nylon strung guitars generally have much wider necks so are more difficult to play because there's more stretching. That's why I keep suggesting getting an electric. Narrower necks and much easier to play. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean crap these days either. The cost of producing guitars has gone down and the quality has gone up over the years imo. You can get an entirely decent entry level electric for a few hundred these days, maybe even less if you know what you're looking for.

Sorta related, I own a few synths and also use software synths which sound very cool. I cannot play for s**t. I do not know what any note sounds like etc.

But, I own a thing called a Kordbot. It has about 40 different chord types to choose from. You choose what chord you want and then you play the root note. It then plays the chord.

I am a fraud.

Good on you howie for learning from the ground up.

Call it a midlife crisis, call it what you will, i've had an acoustic guitar sitting in the corner of my lounge room for a decade that became more ornament than instrument. I'm a music nut, and have always harbored ambitions to be able to play, I tried on and off but things always got in the way (kids)

This time I made a pact, its time, im not giving up.

Ive gone hard for a few months in a row, every day, practicing notes - my fingers are callused, i'm ready. (have a steel string, pain was part of the process I guess, noting is meant to be easy)

so here I am, asking for advice.

I have been working on the open e blues scale and am ok at working up and down the strings, but I have to look while doing it, can sometimes muck around on the g string and maybe attempt a lick but its clunky...

Ive got a good a minor, e major, c, d, g.

I can move from a minor to c to d pretty good - but struggle big time going from anything to a g and back again.

the only two songs I have been attempting are working class hero and hurt.
t
can anyone suggest any maybe 3 chord songs with the afore mentions chords with pretty easy strumming patterns that I might try?

or maybe thins i can do to get better in changing between notes?

is it like golf? everyone has their own little tips and advice that can be like a penny drop moment at any time

everyone tells me its muscle memory but I just cant mange to put my fingers on the strings and have it ring a tune without actually looking with my eyes

anyhow, hoping for advice from the forum

If you're not already aware of him Howie, you might find this guy useful. He does a lot of different videos but my favourites are the breakdown/pulling apart of songs, highlighting what he considers makes them great. One of his ACDC vid's here.

Sorta related, I own a few synths and also use software synths which sound very cool. I cannot play for s**t. I do not know what any note sounds like etc.

But, I own a thing called a Kordbot. It has about 40 different chord types to choose from. You choose what chord you want and then you play the root note. It then plays the chord.

I am a fraud.

Good on you howie for learning from the ground up.

its funny how simple things amuse simple minds - my daughter is learning piano, I was playing a c - and she played a c... and it sounded the same, my mind was blown. This stuff works!

If you're not already aware of him Howie, you might find this guy useful. He does a lot of different videos but my favourites are the breakdown/pulling apart of songs, highlighting what he considers makes them great. One of his ACDC vid's here.

I watch him all the time! - even though lots of it is gobbledygook to me its still enjoyable - I like when he did the 20 greatest riffs, 20 greatest drum beats, 20 greatest bass lines ect of all time

I watch him all the time! - even though lots of it is gobbledygook to me its still enjoyable - I like when he did the 20 greatest riffs, 20 greatest drum beats, 20 greatest bass lines ect of all time

I'd be lying if I said I'm not addicted to his stuff even when I have nfi what he's on about, his enthusiasm is great, let alone the air drumming!;)

Another good acdc song for practicing your open chord shapes and changing between them is you shook me all night long. It's all g c d. To make it easier to play though just play the bass end of the c and that way you can leave your ring finger on the d string the whole time (if you're a 4 finger g guy :D). It makes more sense if you just try and do it. So if i was talking the main riff to you as a sentence I'd say 'G. C g c g c d? G g d g d g.' I hope that makes sense. G to d is a nice change to get you used to going from one side of the fretboard to the other.

all good advice so far.

play every day. 30 min. even if you don’t feel like it. you will improve.

AC/DC is a good thing to practice. full chords that use all 6 strings.

what artists do you listen to Moon? maybe we can see if there’s anything a novice could play? it helps if you’re really into the bands music.

all good advice so far.

play every day. 30 min. even if you don’t feel like it. you will improve.

AC/DC is a good thing to practice. full chords that use all 6 strings.

what artists do you listen to Moon? maybe we can see if there’s anything a novice could play? it helps if you’re really into the bands music.

Was/am a big grunge fan, love a bit of Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Stone Roses, not much I don't like really but not heavy into your metallica/ AC/DC type of stuff. I guess I could try jet, they are ACDC light I suppose!

Was/am a big grunge fan, love a bit of Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Stone Roses, not much I don't like really but not heavy into your metallica/ AC/DC type of stuff. I guess I could try jet, they are ACDC light I suppose!
This is a great little book.

1556188472385.png

You can get it for $30 inc postage here. It's pretty cool. I'm sure you could find most of it online but it's cool having them in a little book.

I played a little Nirvana back in the day but I never really played much grunge (although I certainly still listen to it so don't dislike it). I was probably playing more Metallica and RHCP of that era. I reckon I have more or less forgotten all the Metallica I used to know but occasionally when you're just practicing you'll stumble over a few snippets of old riffs or fills and then try to remember how they went. I love that.

Anyway.. back to the autopsy thread I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

have you got a capo? you should be able to give “Waterfall” a go. it’s around a D shape chord, but you’ll have to put the capo on the 4th fret. if you have a capo, I can make you a short video playing the main riff. “Sugar spun sister” is another easy one. capo is on the 2nd fret; but it’s just basic chords G, C, G. throw in a Bm and a D and that’s pretty much it.

are you familiar with all of Floyd’s stuff? something like “Astronomy Domine” is very straight forward. how are your barre chords?

And the song that no one knows the lyrics to, not even Eddie Vedder who wrote them: Yellow Ledbetter
E - B - A - E
the first E is played as an A shaped bar chord (7th fret), the 2nd is your regular open E
You can just play the chords or you play them as broken chords (hold the shape, pluck individual strings) to fake something like the real thing (I'm no Mike McCready)

And the song that no one knows the lyrics to, not even Eddie Vedder who wrote them: Yellow Ledbetter
E - B - A - E
the first E is played as an A shaped bar chord (7th fret), the 2nd is your regular open E
You can just play the chords or you play them as broken chords (hold the shape, pluck individual strings) to fake something like the real thing (I'm no Mike McCready)

I saw pearl jam cover mother by Pink Floyd, looks quite doable too

“Mother” is a deceptive little tune; lots of changing from 3/4 to 4/4 and back again. one of those ones that I need the song playing in the background :)

“Wish you were here” is a goodun to learn. there’s a million tutorials on youtube. mostly chords but a little bit of individual note picking too, which is a good thing

have you got a capo? you should be able to give “Waterfall” a go. it’s around a D shape chord, but you’ll have to put the capo on the 4th fret. if you have a capo, I can make you a short video playing the main riff. “Sugar spun sister” is another easy one. capo is on the 2nd fret; but it’s just basic chords G, C, G. throw in a Bm and a D and that’s pretty much it.

are you familiar with all of Floyd’s stuff? something like “Astronomy Domine” is very straight forward. how are your barre chords?

Don't have a capo, might grab one when I change my strings.

As I said earlier I'm still very beginner, just trying to practice changing from chord to chord without having the strings rattle and sound rubbish.

Pretty confident I can go from am to C to d ok, although the C fails sometimes on the stretch. Maybe the cadd9 is an easier way so I can get to g?

Still getting my head around it and Trying to find what works

Barre not attempted yet!

E - B - A - E

How about aic, nutshell? (Unplugged) Strum pattern looks a little tough but seems easyish chords with two fingers anchored

How about aic, nutshell? (Unplugged) Strum pattern looks a little tough but seems easyish chords with two fingers anchored
Go for it. You can't go wrong trying to learn songs you enjoy listening to and playing. There's never been a better time to be learning guitar with all the free resources on the internet. There are so many top quality teachers putting their stuff out there for free you can afford to be quite picky. G tabs is a pretty good guitar app resource as well for tabs, tuner, metronome and so on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back