Ben Brown - Where's the scrutiny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gertkov

Rookie
May 27, 2023
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's on $500,000 a year, playing in the VFL. Dee's had the option of going for Peter Wright at the same time they recruited him.

With the Demons forward line woes continuing into 2023 would it be safe to say this disastrous trade has gone under the radar?

Dees got a flag out of him. I’d dare say without JVR he and Tom McDonald would have got a couple more chances this year but you can’t deny JVR the run he has had. Super talent.

Don’t know if this is the case but do wonder if his knee has finally caught up: he’s a big man, who didn’t have pace to lose to begin with, if it is degenerating then he’s got no hope.

One of our better “tough calls” in recent years to not sign him up on solid money considering the era we were about to embark on, and the Dees got a flag. He’s been a very good player for a solid portion of his career, he did the hard yards coming through the VFL, why the * does there need to be “scrutiny”??

He's on $500,000 a year, playing in the VFL. Dee's had the option of going for Peter Wright at the same time they recruited him.

With the Demons forward line woes continuing into 2023 would it be safe to say this disastrous trade has gone under the radar?
You've posted about Ben Brown in like 10 of 45 posts, now including a main board thread.

Why?

Yeah not dissimilar to the Boyd situation in that he could hypothetically never play for Melbourne again and Dees fans would likely still remember him fondly as a player that helped them win a flag. Didn’t have quite the same impact on the grand final that Boyd had in 2016 but still did his bit with 3 goals and provided a target.

You say where’s the scrutiny… well to be fair Melbourne in general (the forward line especially) has copped a fair bit of scrutiny this year and last year for performing a bit below expectations. Brown is part of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a poor choice giving a below average AFL player well past his best a long term contract. But Melbourne won a premiership so I don't really give a s**t. I assume most Dees supporters agree, and this bait isn't going to be taken.

Brown has delivered when it mattered the most. A good clubman as well.

Both Dees fans and North fans likely happy with the outcome.

Close thread.
One could argue the goals he kicked in the GF weren't overly difficult and any run of the mill forward could have kicked then, it was Oliver and Petracca that did the hard work. Brown didn't win you the Grand Final

One could argue the goals he kicked in the GF weren't overly difficult and any run of the mill forward could have kicked then, it was Oliver and Petracca that did the hard work. Brown didn't win you the Grand Final
Why are you so bothered by premiership forward Ben Brown?

I'd say that the Dees could've gone back to back and be a much better team this year if they had a more competent forward taking up $500,000 a year. He has cost the Dees the chance of more success and there has been very little scrutiny on him as a player, Boyd was absolutely crucified compared to Brown.

We dodged a bullet here

We had an offer of 750k on the table but his manager Rama thought he was worth more he then preceded to being out of form so we took the offer off the table

Rama then signed him with the dees for 500k a year and cost his client 750k over 3 years

Lesson don’t be greedy
What did you end up getting for him collateral wise?

I’m sure you had excess cap space so the salary wouldn’t have mattered to the club one iota.

For Melbourne he helped win them their first flag in over 6 decades so for them the trade was a massive win.

What did you end up getting for him collateral wise?

I’m sure you had excess cap space so the salary wouldn’t have mattered to the club one iota.

For Melbourne he helped win them their first flag in over 6 decades so for them the trade was a massive win.
a second rounder which we traded for Stephenson who has 21 goals this year so far and will be a key part of our forward line

Amartey would be a good fit. Dees should offer overs while Viney and Gawn still have a couple years left.

van Rooyen will be a rippa but needs to get to 50 odd games before he's anywhere near consistent.

Be it a young precocious and expensive recruit like Tom Boyd, a superstar in his prime age for solid but not silly money such as Jeremy Cameron, similarly with Tom Lynch, or Melbourne's recruitment of Ben Brown, i doubt any club and the fans of such clubs will ever have an ounce of misgiving when a Premiership Cup (or three for the Tigers) adorns the trophy room. Ben provided a difference to the Dees, they broke a 57-year drought and got a Flag, he'll always now be a Premiership player. I think whatever he may have forgone in his potential contract with North, Ben will be pretty pleased at how it's all turned out. He's got a pretty good AFL career to tell his kids about anyway, better than all the keyboard warriors can claim at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back