Ben cousins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone, we are forgetting he is a drug user.

Before the start of 07, he would have been basicilly 'untouchable'. A legend at the Eagles. Would have needed to given the world to get him. However, things have changed. Now, at best he is worth a 3rd Round Pick.

In the States (i.e the NFL) at the moment, there's a player by the name of Randy Moss who is arguably one of the best wide recievers of the modern era. He is an absolute superstar on the field, however off the field is a different story. He was traded today for a 4th Round pick, as the team he plays for the Raiders were sick off his off-field antics.

Lets also not forget, that Akermanis was traded to the Bulldogs for a 3rd round pick.

Maybe at the end of the year, the Eagles will want to get rid off him for something similar. Yes, he is an absolute gun footballer, and would love to have him at the Pies on his footballing ability. However, off field do we really need a player like that at our club.

Thats what Im trying to say but no one wants to understand.
"Hes won Brownlows! Hes won B&Fs"

If he can stay off the drugs and WCE want to move him on at the end of the year, i reckon he's worth a look.

He may need a fresh start away from perth and id rather we have a go at him, than see him end up at another vic club.

He might not be able to stay in Perth

He may need an entire life change to help him recover

He has flat out lied to Worsfold to his face for years, and brought the club into disrepute, they seem to be doing ok without him around

Id love to get him, but it wont happen

Spot on M Train. Clubs aren't silly, players can only get away with this stuff for so long before it eats away at whole teams. Yanks aren't dumb when it comes to pro sport, and that Moss bloke isn't the only one they have ditched ATM!

A move to a melbourne based club could be in fact a backwards step, considering he is trying to get off the drugs and get back on track, who is just down the road..........one M. Gardiner

Can't believe there is a thread on this in the Collingwood board. Forget him, let the Weagles have his problems. I would rather draft a new kid than recruit a drug ridden addict. Forget him.

Why, if he cleans himself up and wants a second chance and we can get him cheap than why not look at getting him.

Before the start of 07, he would have been basicilly 'untouchable'. A legend at the Eagles. Would have needed to given the world to get him. However, things have changed. Now, at best he is worth a 3rd Round Pick.

In the States (i.e the NFL) at the moment, there's a player by the name of Randy Moss who is arguably one of the best wide recievers of the modern era. He is an absolute superstar on the field, however off the field is a different story. He was traded today for a 4th Round pick, as the team he plays for the Raiders were sick off his off-field antics.

Lets also not forget, that Akermanis was traded to the Bulldogs for a 3rd round pick.

Maybe at the end of the year, the Eagles will want to get rid off him for something similar. Yes, he is an absolute gun footballer, and would love to have him at the Pies on his footballing ability. However, off field do we really need a player like that at our club.

That is a completely irrelevant comparison. You cannot compare the AFL to the NFL, a league that has a strong culture of player movement and trade and where players are paid more than entire AFL teams. There are no similarities whatsoever between the two systems.

Even the comparison with Akermanis is invalid. His relationshio with the Lions had become unworkable. There was no way he was going to stay and they were going to keep him. The Lions were happy to get rid of him and would have for nothing if they had to.

As far as anyone knows Cousins is still a required player at WC. Hell, the guy could even come back half way through the season and lead the team to back-to-back flags. And even if the Eagles do shop him around in trade period his asking price will be extraordinarily high (pardon the pun:D) unless there are further developments ie. indiscretions in the mean time.

Otherwise if you want him IMO you've got to be prepared to pay through the nose.

Why, if he cleans himself up and wants a second chance and we can get him cheap than why not look at getting him.

1) You won't get him cheap

2) This tool has damaged our game, he should be banned from playing (at least for a minimum of 12 months anyway).

3) Some role model for all the kids that follow our game, you want him at our club?? Wouldn't care who he is, he's an addict and needs to sort himself out and forget the football.

What?? I dont get it.... He is one of the best players in the game!! how can u be spouting this rubbish about 3rd round picks. Thats crap. The fittest man in the afl would not go for cheap. He has the ability to run out 4th quarters like no other, and played a major part in creating the best midfield ever put together. ( ok maybe second.... arguable)
If you can get tarrant for a promising youngster and a crumbing forward theres NO way ben would go for anything less.

rant over :p

There is a very good reason why he might go cheap though, isnt there.:)

You can sprout all the dribble you want about being the fittest, or 6 times AA or so but if he does go, a club might be able to get him without to much trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would only consider Cousins if you thought you were contenders and needed someone to put you over the top.. thats not us at the moment.. go with the kids

Another consideration is loss of premiership points or draft picks if he messes up again.. no thanks

They actually traded him because he was useless onfield (11 touchdown catches in 3 years) and all he did was bag the team - HIS OWN TEAM. Hardly something you would do it you loved your team...

I mean he admitted to NOT playing 100% for most of the Raiders games... Now not all players would play to 100%, but you dont tell your team or the media that fact if your a sore loser with things not going your way

He would get a lot more then a 2nd round pick mate

Damm straight. I don't think you have anything worth trading anyway, youll probably finish in the lower 8 or outiside upper 8. I'd imagine a first round pick between 1-5 and a good WA rookie/established player would do, especially if Cuz plays again for us this year and does well.

Damm straight. I don't think you have anything worth trading anyway, youll probably finish in the lower 8 or outiside upper 8. I'd imagine a first round pick between 1-5 and a good WA rookie/established player would do, especially if Cuz plays again for us this year and does well.

I think a 2nd rounder is extremely undervaluing him, but a top 5 pick and a good WA player is extremely overvaluing him.

6 x AA ;)
AFLPA MVP
Rising Star winner as well

There is no doubting his ability on the field, it's really a matter of whether or not he has fixed his drug problem and is focused on his football, and will play his best. Also I wouldn't want a player at the club that doesn't want to be there we have had too many in the past that have been a waste.

If he was clean and ready to play his best at the club, I'd certainly not say no to having Cousins at the club.

There is no doubting his ability on the field, it's really a matter of whether or not he has fixed his drug problem and is focused on his football, and will play his best. Also I wouldn't want a player at the club that doesn't want to be there we have had too many in the past that have been a waste.

If he was clean and ready to play his best at the club, I'd certainly not say no to having Cousins at the club.

Agreed.

Should we have a crack at cuz at the end of the year?

Very good player, plenty left in him, has some baggage..

28, the weagles are flying without him and a change of scenery might do him some good and he will come at a cheaper price than judd.

What do ya think.

YES YES YES...DID I SAY YES?....YES:cool:

I think as long as he has cleaned up his act and he has proven it, then he is worth a look for sure.
He is a terrific footballer and I would hate to see him not play again.
Even if Michael Gardiner is just down the road that doesnt mean if Ben comes to Melbourne they are going to pick up where they left off. In fact I think the move to Victoria has been a blessing for for Gardiner. Theres nothing to suggest it wouldnt be the same for Ben.

I agree, i reckon we should take a risk and also hes cheaper than judd with a lot more to give to football:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back