Preview Ben Darrou

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Darrou Number 48 is an interesting prospect for the RFC.

DOB; 25/11/93
At draft he was 190 cm tall.
He weighs 97kg.

He represented vic metro. He has good skills in general and athletic ability.2013 will be his second year on RFC's rookie list and the club must feel he has potential or they would not have re-signed him for a second year. Has good attack at the contest and I would suggest at least in part this is due to his physical size which after a year in a professional environment has continued to develop. He has not yet debuted for the senior team but has been learning his trade at Coburg FC. At a similar size to Josh Gibson of Hawthorn FC, he presents tantalising possibilities for the RFC.

Report from the first game 2013 from the Coburg coach. To me Ben seems to be one of the squads quiet achievers and if he continues he will be a great pick up for the RFC and by all accounts, there's no reason at this stage to believe that he will not continue to improve :thumbsu:
Ben Darrou
Continued his good form down back playing on one of Sandringham’s key forwards. Contributed well right throughout the match, both defensively and offensively.

Ben Darrou
Again was terrific down back, limiting the influence of talented Hawthorn-listed forward Sam Grimley, and gathering 27 possessions himself. His decision-making with the ball was a real highlight.

From the coaches report against Boxhill at the end of April. From all reports Ben continues to improve on the back of hard work. If he keeps this up it will be interesting to see if he can get a game in the seniors before the end of the season. One of the great things about Ben is that he's still only 19 yrs but like biscuit could step into the seniors from a physical point of view. Go the Bens !!

This guy can play. I don't think he'll ever be big enough to be a full back, but his poise and skill with the ball mean that he could be a hell of a 3rd tall. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him step up this season and play some solid games in the 1s. The problem is being given a chance, and I'm not sure if the selection committee is willing to play him ahead of the current favourites in Batchelor or Petterd, even though he would seem to have their strengths without their weaknesses.

This guy can play. I don't think he'll ever be big enough to be a full back, but his poise and skill with the ball mean that he could be a hell of a 3rd tall. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him step up this season and play some solid games in the 1s. The problem is being given a chance, and I'm not sure if the selection committee is willing to play him ahead of the current favourites in Batchelor or Petterd, even though he would seem to have their strengths without their weaknesses.

I've been very much thinking the same Spluff, it would be great to se him get a crack when the coaches think he cherry ripe.:thumbsu:

Unfortunately it sounds like Ben will be out for 6-8 weeks. From reports he has sufferred a broken jaw from the weekends game against Collingwoods VFL team. This is a real pity, as Ben has been really developing well and has played quite a few games this season and named in the teams best. Hopefully he recovers quickly and can come back with a strong return to form :thumbsu:

Unfortunately it sounds like Ben will be out for 6-8 weeks. From reports he has sufferred a broken jaw from the weekends game against Collingwoods VFL team. This is a real pity, as Ben has been really developing well and has played quite a few games this season and named in the teams best. Hopefully he recovers quickly and can come back with a strong return to form :thumbsu:

I would say that he's already done enough to guarantee himself a rookie spot at the very least next year.

I would say that he's already done enough to guarantee himself a rookie spot at the very least next year.

Totally agree!! STW, for me that would be at the very least :thumbsu:

After a long break recovering from a broken jaw Big Ben is reported to be making a return to Coburg this weekend. It will be great to see the big guy back. There are some who believe that Ben is a bit of an in between size not really big enough as a key defender but his profile has him at about the same size a Josh Gibson from the Hawks and I would think that there are very few that could mount a successful argument that Josh hasn't had a positive impact at HFC. Having said that I'm not saying that Ben is quite the same caliber of player that Josh is. However from all reports he has improved a lot and continues to work hard. He has very good run out of defence and very good foot skills coming out and initiating attacks from defence. If he continues to improve who knows what the RFC may have........:thumbsu:

After a long break recovering from a broken jaw Big Ben is reported to be making a return to Coburg this weekend. It will be great to see the big guy back. There are some who believe that Ben is a bit of an in between size not really big enough as a key defender but his profile has him at about the same size a Josh Gibson from the Hawks and I would think that there are very few that could mount a successful argument that Josh hasn't had a positive impact at HFC. Having said that I'm not saying that Ben is quite the same caliber of player that Josh is. However from all reports he has improved a lot and continues to work hard. He has very good run out of defence and very good foot skills coming out and initiating attacks from defence. If he continues to improve who knows what the RFC may have........:thumbsu:

Good Luck to Him

Ben's on chocco's cub watch this week and frankly (without and shadow of BIAS). I'm loving all that I'm hearing regarding Ben.According to Chocco Ben's work and preparation is second to none on the whole list !
whatever happens with Ben I don't think you could ask for anything more from him. If/when he finishes at RFC I think we can safely say he gave it his best. Chocco also goes on to mention any knocks/deficiencies he may have had are not there anymore. A real testament to the young man, I must say I really liked the report.....So here it is, ENJOY !!

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-08-21/choco-cub-watch-darrou

Regardless of where Ben ends up, keep or trade ? The RFC will definitely have gained from his time at the Club & from the time they have put into the young fella. :thumbsu:

Ben Darrou in focus on the RFC website......

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-10-23/ben-darrou-in-focus

I wanted to make the call earlier this year but I think Ben is coming along very nicely for a Rookie selection. If he continues along this line in the off/pre season he is going to give the guys in the back 6 some serious competition. I'm loving all the reports coming out of the club about him. Time will tell, I've been trying to keep a the lid on but it's getting to be a real struggle where Ben is concerned.....Go you Tigers !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see that Ben was playing on Aaron Edwards during one of the practice games. Could it be that he may be being groomed as a half back attacking type who is capable of playing tall or small at around 190-192cm tall. reports are he runs hard from defence and has a piercing/accurate kick and good speed. Could become a real attacking defensive player, possibly freeing up one of our current HB or covering one if they are injured, or coming in as a sub freeing a HB for possible midfield rotations ? Ben stands as a tantalising prospect for the RFC…….

I couldn't resist putting this in after the interview with Ross Smith on AFL.com today.Also cos he's my "special boy"....(Doctor Evil talking about MiniMe...) Here's the link just in case you guys might want to read the lot......

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-02/rocksteady-tigers

Third-year rookie Ben Darrou has shot out of the blocks to show the coaches undiscovered aspects of his game.

"While the former Vic Metro defender is pushing for selection in the NAB Challenge, with the Tigers to play their first game against Melbourne on February 14, Smith said a senior debut in the premiership season wasn't out of the question.

"He's made enormous in-roads, enormous progression and has spent a lot of time with 'Choco' and [development/VFL backline coach Greg Mellor]," he said.

"I think he's fitted right in and he keeps surprising us."
"......

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back