Prediction Ben Kennedy v J.Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Weren't you firmly in the trade Seedsman camp? Also think you may have suggested trading Kennedy.

Seedsman is a spud
Seedsman gave us run off half back. You can't get rid of guys like Harry and Shaw and then have Seedsman failing. BUT we did. Seedsman showed he could be a great footballer in bursts but didn't knuckle down under Buckley.

Who will have the better career? Just watching some nab cup and saw Ben Kennedy slotting one on the run for Melbourne. Who will have the career?
I liked what I saw of Howe with his first game today. Tackling, chasing, getting in and under shovelling the ball out, flying for the ball and bringing it to ground if he couldn't mark. You can keep watching Kennedy and Melbourne and I'll keep watching Howe playing for the Pies, kicking a goal or two every week and taking mark of the year every second week. It's a great swap and a win for us. He'lol have a great career at the Pies.

I liked what I saw of Howe with his first game today. Tackling, chasing, getting in and under shovelling the ball out, flying for the ball and bringing it to ground if he couldn't mark. You can keep watching Kennedy and Melbourne and I'll keep watching Howe playing for the Pies, kicking a goal or two every week and taking mark of the year every second week. It's a great swap and a win for us. He'lol have a great career at the Pies.
You're taking the piss surely.. Did he touch the footy in the first 2 quarters? No.

You're taking the piss surely.. Did he touch the footy in the first 2 quarters? No.
If you only want to talk about the first 2 quarters, he layed a crunching tackle that led to our first goal in the first 20 seconds of the game. He never even needed to touch the ball to create a goal. How good was that? Or did you miss that play?

Last edited:
If you omly want to talk about the first 2 quarters, he layed a crunching tackle that led to our first goal in the first 20 seconds of the game. He never even needed to touch the ball to create a goal. How good was that? Or did you miss that play?
I forgot about the 7 touches he got in the second half when the game was over.

I forgot about the 7 touches he got in the second half when the game was over.
My apologies. I wasn't aware he was meant to win the game off his own boot in the first half to keep you happy. Should we send a memo to Bucks to pass along to him so he knows what you expect from him next week?

My apologies. I wasn't aware he was meant to win the game off his own boot in the first half to keep you happy. Should we send a memo to Bucks to pass along to him so he knows what you expect from him next week?
Maybe if he pulled his head in during the pre season he would've come out of the blocks in the first 3 games. Part of the 11 players? Yeh probably. We throw a bucket load of cash at him to come over and that's how it starts.

Maybe if he pulled his head in during the pre season he would've come out of the blocks in the first 3 games. Part of the 11 players? Yeh probably. We throw a bucket load of cash at him to come over and that's how it starts.
Going by your observations you were probably with them.

Except we didn't throw a bucket load of cash at him. Gold Coast made a massive offer to him and he rebuffed it because of his desire to play with the Pies. If anything he took unders to come and play with us.

Except we didn't throw a bucket load of cash at him. Gold Coast made a massive offer to him and he rebuffed it because of his desire to play with the Pies. If anything he took unders to come and play with us.
Exactly the sort of player we want. One who wants to play for the jumper. I'm glad to have him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy won but he certainly wasn't a huge factor in the result. Seems to be coming back to his level more each game after looking like Seedy on Anzac Day early.

Today showed that we made the right decision to allow Kennedy to move on, sure he had a better game than Howe and has more tricks than Blair, but he also made some bad mistakes (being run down by Moore comes to mind). We have enough players like that and I don't think he'd improve us long term.

The mistake we might have made is bringing Howe in (for mine it's too early to tell), however Kennedy was a bit part in the trade and a part that appeared more about getting Kennedy to his preferred club.

Perfect example of a financially motivated decision, which is all Eddie can do. What kind of person thinks an average player at Melbourne could be a hit at another club? Without a couple of speckies here and there to get people to games, he's VFL at best. Upwards of $400k p/y supposedly as well. Stupid, stupid recruit. Would take Mathiesonl, Balic or Adams with that second rounder any day of the week.

Howe will be good for us once he gets some match fitness.

Kennedy wasn't played in the right position at Collingwood and still wouldn't be but in saying that Melbourne are winning this trade.

Trading Kennedy wasn't the problem. Recruiting so many small average skilled players around that time has killed us. Doing it with picks from trading out better players makes it worse.

We are where our list management strategy has put us. We are slow and poorly skilled and there are ex Collingwood players playing in better sides than ours. Our premature list rebuild has backfired and we will now rebuild from a worse position than we would have ever ben in otherwise and we don't have a first round pick next year to start the process. Talk about mismanagement.

Trading Kennedy wasn't the problem. Recruiting so many small average skilled players around that time has killed us. Doing it with picks from trading out better players makes it worse.

We are where our list management strategy has put us. We are slow and poorly skilled and there are ex Collingwood players playing in better sides than ours. Our premature list rebuild has backfired and we will now rebuild from a worse position than we would have ever ben in otherwise and we don't have a first round pick next year to start the process. Talk about mismanagement.

The biggest problem with Kennedy was not playing him. Kid was good enough to deserve more of a run and had a bigger case for a spot in the linuep over the last 2 seasons than some of the refuse that remains.

I agree with you however that elements of our list management has been baffling. Despite bringing in some talented kids, we appear well behind the pack.

we can't judge this on 1 game. Howe had a very limited pre season and is still building, Kennedy also looked better yesterday because he was in a winning side and basically playing against witches hats at times.

Come back to this thread when we actually have a game plan and Howe actually has a pre season

The jury is out on Howe, Kennedy and Howe are two different types of players.

I was always a fan of Kennedy and was frustrated he was given little opportunity. He wasn't great on the weekend but he was OK.

My main concern is whether Kennedy is actually better than Aish. Aish really has taken Kennedy's position on the list and at this stage don't see it as a real improvement.

I was always a fan of Kennedy and was frustrated he was given little opportunity. He wasn't great on the weekend but he was OK.

My main concern is whether Kennedy is actually better than Aish. Aish really has taken Kennedy's position on the list and at this stage don't see it as a real improvement.

Howe hasn't really had a chance yet. The jury is not out, the case is still in hearing.

Based on yesterdays performance looking forward, I'd comfortably take Aish over Kennedy, he showed why the Lions board and supporters had a melt-down of nuclear proportions when he had nominated Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back