Recommitted Ben King [re-signed until 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if our 7 year deal is still on the table

I really hope we don't go for Petty next year..wait an additional year until he is a RFA then he won't cost us any draft capital that we need to try and lure a primary mid or to try and trade up to draft one next year.

If you let Petty become a RFA, you also run the risk of Port gazzumping the Crows, esp as he was a massive Port Adelaide fan

But in principle, you are correct. Crows need to keep or use their top picks/trade capital to bolster your midfield and add some speed and class to it (as well as a replacement for Sloane)

If you let Petty become a RFA, you also run the risk of Port gazzumping the Crows, esp as he was a massive Port Adelaide fan

But in principle, you are correct. Crows need to keep or use their top picks/trade capital to bolster your midfield and add some speed and class to it (as well as a replacement for Sloane)
I am fine with that as I don't think Petty is a huge need for us now. As long as Murray returns and is near his old self, we are well stocked for key defenders with him, Butts, Worrell, Keane. We don't need Petty as a forward. Don't get me wrong, he is a good player but I'd rather go hard after Mattaeus Phillipou from the Saints or try and get one of the top end mids in the draft next year ahead of a Welsh bid.

Therefore back to King, I don't think the club will be selling the Farm for Petty so Melbourne won't bet getting a big haul from us to go after king with.

Ben Brown‘s contract runs out at the end of next season, if he is not retained then that also may free up funds for Melbourne to make a big offer to King.

He definitely won't be retained but we will have plenty of cap space. We moved on Grundy and Harmes who were on over 1m combined (Granted Harmes was OOC end of next year) plus we'll cut Brown and McDonald.

I am fine with that as I don't think Petty is a huge need for us now. As long as Murray returns and is near his old self, we are well stocked for key defenders with him, Butts, Worrell, Keane. We don't need Petty as a forward. Don't get me wrong, he is a good player but I'd rather go hard after Mattaeus Phillipou from the Saints or try and get one of the top end mids in the draft next year ahead of a Welsh bid.

Therefore back to King, I don't think the club will be selling the Farm for Petty so Melbourne won't bet getting a big haul from us to go after king with.

And I'd rather keep Petty too, but I reckon if you guys don't want him Port will go for him.

Would imagine Melbourne will have a big crack at him if Petty goes to Adelaide.
Melbourne may have a crack at him but they would want to get their house in order first.
Player agents would not exactly be selling Melbourne to their clients, as the place to be.

He will be paid very well no matter where he plays, so the destination he chooses, will be for reasons beyond finance.

Melbourne may have a crack at him but they would want to get their house in order first.
Player agents would not exactly be selling Melbourne to their clients, as the place to be.

He will be paid very well no matter where he plays, so the destination he chooses, will be for reasons beyond finance.
Stop talking drivel. Player agents couldn’t give a rats arse what club their clients play, as long as they get top coin.

Show me the money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop talking drivel. Player agents couldn’t give a rats arse what club their clients play, as long as they get top coin.

Show me the money.
Ok then.
The player agent (in your view) may not care where his client goes because they are just vultures looking out for themselves only.

The player however would be unlikely to choose a sh!tshow like Melbourne, if similar coin was being offered at another club, where the culture was not as toxic.

ITK's on the Saints board believe he definitely wants to play with his brother at some stage.
He could probably get more elsewhere but will be well remunerated at any club, and has earned plenty already at the Suns. I think 2 years away fits timelines for both clubs but if GC are flying then who knows, he may decide to stay until an UFA.

ITK's on the Saints board believe he definitely wants to play with his brother at some stage.
He could probably get more elsewhere but will be well remunerated at any club, and has earned plenty already at the Suns. I think 2 years away fits timelines for both clubs but if GC are flying then who knows, he may decide to stay until an UFA.
Saints fans do like the idea of the King twins playing together.

Gold Coast have 3 first round picks next year. Two of them to St Kilda for Max, and every Saint fan will be happy.

No offence but in the next 5 years I would rather have Gold Coast's list than St Kilda's.

Saints fans do like the idea of the King twins playing together.

Gold Coast have 3 first round picks next year. Two of them to St Kilda for Max, and every Saint fan will be happy.
Yeah you never know if that kind of booty were to be offered.
There's really not much fan enthusiasm behind pursuing Ben at the moment since there's plenty of more pressing list needs.
However in another 2 years when he hits RFA things will probably be different and GC will be absolutely loaded with talent from this draft and the next.
The club has had a couple of good cracks already so l think he's still very much on their radar with the timing TBD, but he will definitely get bigger offers elsewhere.
The marketing aspect for Stkilda would be enormous though, so it presents as both a football and businesses case which is hard to ignore. Time will tell.

No offence but in the next 5 years I would rather have Gold Coast's list than St Kilda's.
No offense taken. GC are gonna have a great list, or talented at the least. And now with Dima on board for the long haul they're gonna have a real shot at the big dance. It all just adds to the intrigue.

I think even most Saints would too (if they are honest)

I think Richmond and Hawthorn are best placed to get him if he leaves The Suns tbh

I think even most Saints would too (if they are honest)

I think Richmond and Hawthorn are best placed to get him if he leaves The Suns tbh
Certainly is my first choice for a target. Won't cost us any trade currency either.

Certainly is my first choice for a target. Won't cost us any trade currency either.
I don't think he's a FA yet. So would most certainly cost us a decent trade package.

I am happy to wait.

Problem is if Hawthorn want to wait till he becomes a F/A, and.he wants to return home to Vic, you'll likely be gazzumped by Richmond, who definitely have the trade/draft capital to swing a deal for King with all their 2024 picks on hand.

Let's see if Ben re-signs before season starts or not. If not other teams have a shot. Personally, I would be very surprised if he decides to move on this year and would join re-building teams. In 2 years, if success still does not come under Dimma it could be different story (and not only with King).

I suspect it will take some time for players to adjust to a new game plan similarly to GWS last year under Kingsley. First 2 games at home against Tigers and Crows will be crucial. Lose them and pressure will be on.

IMO, Suns need to play final this or next year to keep top players who were with Suns for 5-6+ years (similar situation to May, Lynch, Prestia). In the end players want success. Easier said than done. It's so even competition.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back