Remove this Banner Ad

B:Macmillan Tarrant Wright
HB: EVW Thompson Atley
C: Anderson Cunnington Wells
HF:Harvey Petrie Higgins
FF: Thomas Waite Ziebell
Followers: Goldstein Swallow Jacobs
Int: Garner, McDonald, Daw, Dumont
Vickers-Willis must have a barnstorming preseason if he's in our best 22 come Round 1.

This from AFL website

B: Luke McDonald, Robbie Tarrant, Lachlan Hansen
HB: Shaun Atley. Scott Thompson, Sam Wright
C: Jamie Macmillan, Jack Ziebell, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Brent Harvey, Jarrad Waite, Shaun Higgins
F: Taylor Garner, Drew Petrie, Lindsay Thomas
Foll: Todd Goldstein, Ben Cunnington, Andrew Swallow
I/C: Ben Brown, Ben Jacobs, Jed Anderson, Daniel Wells

DEPTH
Key-position defenders: Sam Durdin, Daniel Nielson, Joel Tippett
General defenders: Michael Firrito, Mitchell Hibberd, Aaron Mullett, Ed Vickers-Willis
Key-position forwards: Aaron Black, Ben McKay, Mason Wood
General forwards: Robin Nahas, Kayne Turner
Midfielders: Ryan Clarke, Trent Dumont, Will Fordham*, Sam Gibson, Brad McKenzie, Declan Mountford, Farren Ray*, Corey Wagner
Rucks: Majak Daw*, Braydon Preuss*

North's 2016 team largely picks itself, but a few tough calls had to be made. I was mindful of the need for generational change in picking Luke McDonald over Michael Firrito in defence. Firrito had a very solid 2015 season and, injury aside, will probably play most games next year, but McDonald is a class act and should bounce back to his best after a disappointing second season. Similarly, I have favoured former Hawk Jed Anderson, 21, over Sam Gibson, 29, for a spot on the bench, also mindful that the Northern Territorian offers more speed and class. I have backed Lindsay Thomas to get back to his best after an injury-disrupted 2015, giving him the nod over fellow small forwards Kayne Turner and Robbie Nahas. The Roos will be keen to blood their 2014 and 2015 draftees where possible next season, but the likes of Sam Durdin, Daniel Nielson, Ben McKay and Ryan Clarke are unlikely to establish themselves as senior regulars. I also sense North will give Aaron Black every opportunity to re-establish himself in attack in 2016. – Nick Bowen
Pretty good effort by Nick Bowen.

I still don't like Thompson playing on the power forwards.
Would rather have Tippett and Tarrant as the 2 key backs and Thompson replace Hansen as the third tall defender

Pretty good effort by Nick Bowen.

I still don't like Thompson playing on the power forwards.
Would rather have Tippett and Tarrant as the 2 key backs and Thompson replace Hansen as the third tall
Tippett gives absolutely nothing going the other way though. I just don't think you can carry a player who gives nothing in terms of rebound unless they an absolutely top drawer lockdown defender and Tippett is a very long way from being top drawer. He's handy depth but imo he only comes in if we have injuries to Thompson or Tarrant.

Actually, to be honest, I'd just about play Nielsen or Durdin before Tippett if we had injuries anyway. I just don't see him having a massive future here and those two guys have significantly more upside.

Huge competition for places in 2016, and a lot of debuts to consider. I hope Brad just throws it wide open in the pre-season and lets the guys know that 5-6 spots are up for grabs for a debut in round 1, and see what we get.

I think there are obviously a few locks, but I see only these guys as guaranteed at this stage: Goldstein, Petrie, Waite, Higgins, Harvey, Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington and Wells (if fit).
Almost-locks: Wright, MacMillan, Jacobs, Tarrant, Thompson, Atley, Hansen (if fit).

So that leaves 6 spots in the 22 available if we accept the names above.

The rest need to prove themselves, with Thomas, Garner (I love him, but he still needs to prove himself again), and Brown leading the likely inclusions at this stage.

MacMillan Tarrant Thompson
Wright Petrie Atley
NDS Jacobs Gibson
Boomer Waite Garner
Wood Brown JZ
Goldy Swallow Cunnington
NDS Anderson Firrito Thomas

If dreamtime exists a fit Wells is auto in.
Hansen and Thompson can fight for the spare defender role, both suck 1v1.
McDonald and Turner need big preseasons.

To win the flag we need natural improvement by all our 50-100 gamers plus we need a massive year from a 3rd tall defender.
This is our year if our backline stay healthy.

Huge competition for places in 2016, and a lot of debuts to consider. I hope Brad just throws it wide open in the pre-season and lets the guys know that 5-6 spots are up for grabs for a debut in round 1, and see what we get.

I think there are obviously a few locks, but I see only these guys as guaranteed at this stage: Goldstein, Petrie, Waite, Higgins, Harvey, Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington and Wells (if fit).
Almost-locks: Wright, MacMillan, Jacobs, Tarrant, Thompson, Atley, Hansen (if fit).

So that leaves 6 spots in the 22 available if we accept the names above.

The rest need to prove themselves, with Thomas, Garner (I love him, but he still needs to prove himself again), and Brown leading the likely inclusions at this stage.

Black & Wood should be aiming for Waite's spot.

I can't see how they could play the required role.

Over 190cm doesn't always equal key position.

3rd tall spot will be up for grabs when Waite is gone. And may not play as many games next year. Think he may of played the most games in a year for awhile. Wood can push up to the wing, but I see him more as a HFF. Black more as your just 3rd tall.

3rd tall spot will be up for grabs when Waite is gone. And may not play as many games next year. Think he may of played the most games in a year for awhile. Wood can push up to the wing, but I see him more as a HFF. Black more as your just 3rd tall.
So when Petrie and Waite are gone who do you see as the key forwards? I can only see Brown being viable.

No Dal Santo. Not sure he will be happy playing at Werribee.
So you're worried about Dal Santo being 'happy' rather than having team success? There needs to be a changing of the guard soon enough and dal santo is no longer in the best 22 as we need to blood some youngsters and plan ahead. 2016 is the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when Petrie and Waite are gone who do you see as the key forwards? I can only see Brown being viable.

The club would like Durdin and/ or McKay and/ or Black to be KPFs of the future, but all have a lot of work to do. Both Durdin and McKay have played more as defenders than forwards, but the club would prefer that one or both adapt to a key forward role. Black and Durdin both struggled as forwards in the VFL last year, so IMO McKay is looking the most likely at this stage. A lot of water still to go under the bridge though for all three.

Yep. Brown ATM. He wouldn't be happy with his finals effort.
Will McKay or Durdin be the replacement for Petrie?
Or will we have to push Taz back into the forwardline and Tippo into backline.

So you're worried about Dal Santo being 'happy' rather than having team success? There needs to be a changing of the guard soon enough and dal santo is no longer in the best 22 as we need to blood some youngsters and plan ahead. 2016 is the year

We will see if Brad is willing to play the youngsters, or play safe with older players. I like to see Clark take over Dal Santo's spot.

Lol at Dal Santo not best 22.

NMFCARSENAL98 Did you enjoy seeing us make a prelim in 2014? Wouldn't have got there without Dal.
That is a ridiculous statement on two counts.
1) You're saying our success in 2014 finals was all down to one player in Dal Santo which is simply untrue
And 2) that was 2 years ago, cannot live in the past. Game will pass him this year and he will be replaced with youngsters for
The future this year.

1) You're saying our success in 2014 finals was all down to one player in Dal Santo which is simply untrue
And 2) that was 2 years ago, cannot live in the past. Game will pass him this year and he will be replaced with youngsters for
The future this year.

I want MacKenzie to push out Dal Santo this year, and Dumont to take Basty's spot. Similarly I'd like MacDonald to push out Firitto. Anderson comes in for Turner.

The future this year.
Perhaps I should rephrase... Did you enjoy the semi final win against Geelong? Call me crazy or whatever but if he didn't play that night, we would've lost that game in the dying stages. His leadership, skills, gut running and finals experience got us over the line in a BOG performance.

You don't drop a champion with 300 games of experience just to play a kid. Yes it's part of the changing of the guard and yada yada, but why, after addressing outside class and skill as a NEED, would you drop him to play someone not as good, on the basis that they're younger?

NDS has far more skill, leadership, decision making and class ball use than anyone wishing to take his spot (McKenzie, Fordham for example) yet we should play them over Dal because they're younger. They're just not as good, yet. Their time will definitely come, but not while Dal is here.

More food for thought, he's coming off his first soft tissue injury, a hamstring injury, so he was undoubtedly below par. But 'not best 22 anymore'? You're having a laugh.

Perhaps I should rephrase... Did you enjoy the semi final win against Geelong? Call me crazy or whatever but if he didn't play that night, we would've lost that game in the dying stages. His leadership, skills, gut running and finals experience got us over the line in a BOG performance.

You don't drop a champion with 300 games of experience just to play a kid. Yes it's part of the changing of the guard and yada yada, but why, after addressing outside class and skill as a NEED, would you drop him to play someone not as good, on the basis that they're younger?

NDS has far more skill, leadership, decision making and class ball use than anyone wishing to take his spot (McKenzie, Fordham for example) yet we should play them over Dal because they're younger. They're just not as good, yet. Their time will definitely come, but not while Dal is here.

More food for thought, he's coming off his first soft tissue injury, a hamstring injury, so he was undoubtedly below par. But 'not best 22 anymore'? You're having a laugh.
Certainly not having a laugh. My genuine belief is by the end of our 2015 campaign, we will have found his replacement and his game time will be minimal. Difference of opinion and healthy debate is good though

Certainly not having a laugh. My genuine belief is by the end of our 2015 campaign, we will have found his replacement and his game time will be minimal. Difference of opinion and healthy debate is good though
It is the end of our 2015 campaign… and he is best 22, so…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back