Prediction Best 22, R1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I really think a big difference between us and good sides is the drafting of actual forwards.
Last year we were running forwards lines of
McDonald, Petracca, Melksham, Spargo, Neal Bullen and Hunt.
None of them played as forwards as a junior.
Thankfully with Pickett and Fritsch we have genuine forwards back down there but it's not enough. We seem to draft midfielders and try and teach them to play forward where as Collingwood west coast and Richmond have done the opposite

It's a crying shame Sam Weideman hasn't come on. He is still young though so maybe he'll get there but I doubt his ceiling will be much higher than a 40 goal a year second key forward.

I really think a big difference between us and good sides is the drafting of actual forwards.
Last year we were running forwards lines of
McDonald, Petracca, Melksham, Spargo, Neal Bullen and Hunt.
None of them played as forwards as a junior.
Thankfully with Pickett and Fritsch we have genuine forwards back down there but it's not enough. We seem to draft midfielders and try and teach them to play forward where as Collingwood west coast and Richmond have done the opposite
Bedford looks good down there. Melksham plays like a natural forward but he’s also pretty old at this stage. It’s why vDb’s fitness is such a shame, he looks so likely up there. Definitely a priority this year to try and get someone else like Fritsch in, if not a genuine tall forward.

It's safe to say we will never see Vanders on the field anytime soon. Has had a horrible run with his foot issues.

Did Weids, T Mac and Brown would be a good forward line with Pickett, Melksham and Fritsch

F - Pickett, Brown, Fritsch
HF - Melksham, Weideman, T McDonald

I'm starting to doubt if TMAC will be the key forward to lead the forward line that we need.

His hands were incredible during 2018, but patchy there after. Struggled with form/fitness last year obviously but i'm not sure if he can truly lead the attack. He's a senior player now and needs to have more impact on games. Obviously kicking over his head again and again does him no favours - but surely some of the issue has to be on his end with his leads/mobility? Everyone was piling on Weideman last year but TMAC was the senior player down there and offered little.

Needs to get his tank back and run defenders off their feet to pull the defence apart. No point him standing under long bombs, he's not a wrestling forward, he needs a run and jump at it to get those big cricket bat arms of his up in the air to pluck a mark.

Doesn't have the swagger that great forwards have to take on the best key defender week in, week out and stamp their mark on the game.

I hope that he gets his mojo back, as his kicking for goal is ironically his strong point.

Bring back Hogan 2021?

I'm starting to doubt if TMAC will be the key forward to lead the forward line that we need.

His hands were incredible during 2018, but patchy there after. Struggled with form/fitness last year obviously but i'm not sure if he can truly lead the attack. He's a senior player now and needs to have more impact on games. Obviously kicking over his head again and again does him no favours - but surely some of the issue has to be on his end with his leads/mobility? Everyone was piling on Weideman last year but TMAC was the senior player down there and offered little.

Needs to get his tank back and run defenders off their feet to pull the defence apart. No point him standing under long bombs, he's not a wrestling forward, he needs a run and jump at it to get those big cricket bat arms of his up in the air to pluck a mark.

Doesn't have the swagger that great forwards have to take on the best key defender week in, week out and stamp their mark on the game.

I hope that he gets his mojo back, as his kicking for goal is ironically his strong point.

Bring back Hogan 2021?
If Fremantle want to cut Jesse loose I’d take him back on a reduced salary in an instant. Don’t know if it’s best for him to stay in WA though.

Hogan would end up belting somewhen again if he had to stand underneath those forward entries we delivered in round 1
we were actually playing good footy when he belted someone, didn't know how good he had it in 2017. Especially from Hibberd.

FB: Jetta May Lever
HB: Rivers TMac Salem
C: Harmes Petracca Langdon
HF: AVB Fritsch Bennell
FF: Pickett Weideman Melksham
R: Gawn Oliver Viney

I/C: Brayshaw Tomlinson Lockhart Jackson

Melksham needs some form soon but otherwise this is the side I'd like to see play in the next month, AVB's fitness withstanding (ANB/Hunt competing for that spot). Reckon they might as well keep playing Jackson at this stage, the sooner he comes on the better and he's not going to get any better without playing games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back