Podcast BigFooty Blues Podcast 2017 Ep 3 - Things Get Ranty

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I read back then, most people were advocating a similar thing especially as players like Thomas were in the horrors at the time.

The notion that you drop anybody that won't be a part of future success is reactive. We are allowing a kid to get the taste of the pace of AFL football every now and then. What we don't want is to give 6 debutants a taste on top of several others who have played less than 10 games and have our systems break down and confidence destroyed.

The notion that you drop anybody that won't be a part of future success is reactive. We are allowing a kid to get the taste of the pace of AFL football every now and then. What we don't want is to give 6 debutants a taste on top of several others who have played less than 10 games and have our systems break down and confidence destroyed.

I didn't say "won't be a part of future success", I pointed out that Thomas was badly out of form and deserved to be omitted.

Any young player who is physically capable of playing senior footy should be given the opportunity to do so. I'm not suggesting a complete 'throw the baby out with the bathwater" approach, just a preference to play the young guy if it comes down to a lineball decision between an oldie & a youngie (selection is on merit too).

Just on the confidence being destroyed thing, I'm not sold on that idea. All of these young guys are chaffing at the bit to play and they are far more resilient than in the past, they are brimming with confidence and exuberance. It would take 3-4 total thrashings (ie. 100+) in a row before they were in any way dulled down.

You seem to have taken the discussion as though it was addressed specifically to you. Pretty sure it was addressed to all those bagging out selections after 2 rounds.

You seem to have taken the discussion as though it was addressed specifically to you. Pretty sure it was addressed to all those bagging out selections after 2 rounds.

I'm not taking it that way, just interesting to hear more after Shanners rant on the poddy.

I reckon the naysayers on most important subjects are in the minority these days.

Apart from the lunatic fringe who cannot be pleased at all, (i) being patient for success, (ii) Murphy is a lemon, (iii) blooding the young guys, (iv) players getting game on merit etc are now viewed in a much more moderate & understanding light IMO.

I'm not taking it that way, just interesting to hear more after Shanners rant on the poddy.

I reckon the naysayers on most important subjects are in the minority these days.

Apart from the lunatic fringe who cannot be pleased at all, (i) being patient for success, (ii) Murphy is a lemon, (iii) blooding the young guys, (iv) players getting game on merit etc are now viewed in a much more moderate light IMO.
Yep I agree - and it was that lunatic fringe I was addressing.

Yep I agree - and it was that lunatic fringe I was addressing.
Danvers_State_Mental_Hospital2-300x204.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back