Billy Joel

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 19, 2005
1060 west addison
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
gala,l'pool,storm,mvfc
ive just finished watching a dvd of his career,he'd have to be up there as one of the best entertainers of the last 30 years,not to mention the lucky bastard was married to christy brinkley!

Any billy joel fans out there?

I've been listening to The Stranger and 52nd Street a lot lately; been wearing out my wife's copies. Brilliant albums. Nylon Curtain is good too.

But there's a lot I really don't like at all, mainly Uptown Girl and everything after it.

Stealth bomber said:
I've been listening to The Stranger and 52nd Street a lot lately; been wearing out my wife's copies. Brilliant albums. Nylon Curtain is good too.

But there's a lot I really don't like at all, mainly Uptown Girl and everything after it.

52nd Street :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

MagpieScouser said:
ive just finished watching a dvd of his career,he'd have to be up there as one of the best entertainers of the last 30 years,not to mention the lucky bastard was married to christy brinkley!

Any billy joel fans out there?

His career is unmitigated crap - so bad in fact it is hard to find a song in his career that is remotely listenable.

"Crime against Humanity" level bad: We did'nt start the fire, Only Human, Uptown Girl - my ears are bleeding just thinking about it

Contra Mundum said:
His career is unmitigated crap - so bad in fact it is hard to find a song in his career that is remotely listenable.

"Crime against Humanity" level bad: We did'nt start the fire, Only Human, Uptown Girl - my ears are bleeding just thinking about it

Aw C'mon - as a serious artist he's pretty banal, but he's written some great radio fodder over the years. No-one's claiming greatness, but songs like The Longest Time, Allentown and Movin' Out are well-crafted, catchy pieces of fluff.

Matching Mole said:
Aw C'mon - as a serious artist he's pretty banal, but he's written some great radio fodder over the years. No-one's claiming greatness, but songs like The Longest Time, Allentown and Movin' Out are well-crafted, catchy pieces of fluff.

Longest Time almost made my "Crimes against humanity" list! Allan Town is faux social commentary, and Movin Out is just plain bad

The only good thing I have seen him do was on that September 11 special where he sung New York State of Mind - just him and a Grand Piano with a Fireman's Helmet on it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contra Mundum said:
Longest Time almost made my "Crimes against humanity" list! Allan Town is faux social commentary, and Movin Out is just plain bad

The songs u banter of came post-creativity for him.

52nd street for example touches on jazz in some aspects,enter Freddy Hubbard (double solo on Zanzibar)

The songs he wrote while there was hunger left in his belly reflect NY city in the 70s,a place for piano bar players and Broadway musicals.

Any album after 52nd street is a display of what is required to stay in the fray once the recipe for honesty has vanished - ie,WAK !

NY state of mind by his admission,is just him trying to sound like Ray Charles but nevertheless a nice cut.

Contra Mundum said:

Totally agree.

I can listen to You May Be Right and It's Still RocknRoll To Me. But that's it. In total Billy Joel is just painful. I'd even rather listen to Rod Stewart. He just has so many bad bad songs.

Billy Joel is on the Chris De Burgh level.

bunsen burner said:
Totally agree.

I can listen to You May Be Right and It's Still RocknRoll To Me. But that's it. In total Billy Joel is just painful. I'd even rather listen to Rod Stewart. He just has so many bad bad songs.

Billy Joel is on the Chris De Burgh level.

The later career of Elton John stoops to his level [think Nikita and Kristal] but his unbelievably good early career absolves him from his later crimes - only good song he has released in the last twenty five years is "I guess that's why they call it the blues"

On the Rod Stewart front: I reckon Sailing and his version of the First Cut is the Deepest are'nt bad - the rest is Billy Joelesque

Contra Mundum said:
The later career of Elton John stoops to his level [think Nikita and Kristal] but his unbelievably good early career absolves him from his later crimes - only good song he has released in the last twenty five years is "I guess that's why they call it the blues"

Pre 2 low 4 zero was very good.

Pretty much everything after was and is absolute shyte. When I think of Elton John I think of his early stuff rather than shyte like Sacrifice et all.

Contra Mundum said:

Agreed, not one listenable song in his whole catalogue! Not one redeemable feature about him.

Anyone who thinks he has a modicum of talent is in serious need of shock treatment!

Contra Mundum said:

On the Rod Stewart front: I reckon Sailing and his version of the First Cut is the Deepest are'nt bad - the rest is Billy Joelesque

Rod Stewart! Never has a man betrayed his talent as much.

How can a man put out such brilliance as lead singer of The Jeff Beck Group on albums "Truth" and "Beckola".
As lead singer of the Faces on "A Nod's As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse", "Long Player" and half of "Ooh La la!"
And solo albums "Every Picture Tells A Story", "Gasoline Alley", "The Rod Stewart Album (An Old Raincoat Never Let's You Down)" and then follow up with garbage such as "Do you think I'm sexy?", "Hot Legs" etc. and i think your being kind saying "Sailing" and "First Cut" arn't bad.

Got caught up in the corporate crap instaed of remaining true to his artistry.

LMAOO@ U guys for being angered by artists careers assessed on your opinions and understanding.

Poor tortured souls.

Blame the corporate influence for roddie changing direction.
LMAO.

Pay the bills roddie boy,keep schlonging blondes and do what u want.

We can always listen to your early stuff and marvel at the brillaince.

oxx said:
LMAOO@ U guys for being angered by artists careers assessed on your opinions and understanding.

Poor tortured souls.

LMAO.

His chick pulling record is an awe to behold - each one has been a cliche but there is nothing wrong with that - he boned Britt Ekland at her peak - enough said

oxx said:

Poor tortured souls.

LMAO.

Come on OXX if people stopped saying "I only liked his/her/their early stuff" there would be no conversations left about popular music!!!

Contra Mundum said:
Come on OXX if people stopped saying "I only liked his/her/their early stuff" there would be no conversations left about popular music!!!

I will pay that mate.

Bump.

Brilliant songwriter, definitely one of the best there is. Has this knack of being able to include names of places into his songs.

Goodnight Saigon would be one of the best songs I have ever heard, definitely top 10.

Ballad of Billy The Kid is an absolute blast

And my favourite -

Remove this Banner Ad

Back