- Availability: to be assessed following the Club’s Round 14 bye

Adam Cerra (hamstring)

David Cuningham (calf)

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Matthew CottrellFootUnderwent scans which revealed navicular stress reaction. Club will work through rehabilitation plan in coming weeks.
Availability: to be reassessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 14 May)
David CuninghamCalfAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Jack MartinCalfAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Hudson O'KeeffeHamstringExperienced a high-grade hamstring strain at training on Sunday.
Availability: 8-12 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Marc PittonetFingerDid not require surgery.
Availability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 28 May)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)

Scar tissue builds up though, so if there's a biomechanical issue that keeps creating a problem, scarring could work either for or against mitigating that.

On the plus side, there's absolutely no chance we've paid him anywhere near his maximum TPP estimate
Absolutely. But that management is part of the job description. Reminds me of pies 2012. Top 2 list no chance to compete due to the injuries. Part of the review was over training and trying too hard. Ended up being too late for that group after that because a rather phenomenal hawthorn and geelong popped up but yeah...

how long is Russell signed for … dude needs to leave … it’s not even Martin cunners and marchy , i could handle that but cerra every 3-5 weeks , walsh back , it’s too much and it’s cost us a top 4 position this year when we should be having a crack at 17 …hopefully we get a few back each week and at the pointy end of the year with some luck have a massive crack

Ive staunchly defended Russell until now... But my God am I sick of these injuries. The risk vs reward of getting rid of him now surely favours the side of 'reward'.

Maybe its his fault. Maybe it isnt. Either way, it can't get much worse than this by getting rid of him. Get someone new in the role.

hahahahahaha
hahahahah
haha
hah
Comedia Tom Hanks GIF by Filmin

how long is Russell signed for … dude needs to leave … it’s not even Martin cunners and marchy , i could handle that but cerra every 3-5 weeks , walsh back , it’s too much and it’s cost us a top 4 position this year when we should be having a crack at 17 …hopefully we get a few back each week and at the pointy end of the year with some luck have a massive crack
Russell isn't making Walsh run the way he does in games. It's actually ridiculous what he does out there.

If other players are getting egged onto extremes and not listening to the conditioning staff and development coaches on creating better economy of movement, then who knows where the problem lies outside looking in.

As I recall it, the previous major football department review mentioned player buy-in for that sort of thing was way off where it should be, so they were creating the longer injury list.

Russell isn't making Walsh run the way he does in games. It's actually ridiculous what he does out there.

If other players are getting egged onto extremes and not listening to the conditioning staff and development coaches on creating better economy of movement, then who knows where the problem lies outside looking in.

As I recall it, the previous major football department review mentioned player buy-in for that sort of thing was way off where it should be and they were creating the longer injury list.
This is an interesting take Jim. I’ve always wondered why we never seem to run over teams late in games even when those teams have had a shorter break than us between games.

Enough is enough with the current fitness set up.

As a supporter I have seen every department in the club be criticised and torn to shreds over the years. Individual players, coaches, collectives you name it. For some reason though our current fitness department particularly the head honcho of it seem to be the untouchables when clearly it is the most underperforming component of our club year on year.

A consistent double digit injury list will absolutely cost any team a chance at a flag.

Move them on immediately post season. At least try something to correct this rubbish.

Carlton isn’t the only club with injury prone players - see Prestia, Lynch and Graham at Richmond - probably worse than our worst (but we do have our fair share). Reality about the cause is likely somewhere in between the polar opinions on player management vs natural propensity to strain muscles. How to deal with this reality is the $64 question. But high performance boss needs to take responsibility for not keeping it under control.

As I recall it, the previous major football department review mentioned player buy-in for that sort of thing was way off where it should be, so they were creating the longer injury list.

Our game plan doesn't exactly support economy of movement. It relies on relentless pressure.

Having said that, I don't think our GPS stats are excessive compared to other teams.

This is an interesting take Jim. I’ve always wondered why we never seem to run over teams late in games even when those teams have had a shorter break than us between games.
We had no problem with that for the second half of last season, right up until we shook things up for finals.

Part of that is also make sure you've got enough of a speed/endurance mix in your line-up for your game plan and how you execute. This is why I keep arguing for things like one ruck, and a couple of personnel changes here and there.

Some players - such as Newman and Cottrell - have lifted their standards, and that makes thing easier at selection and during the game, but we're such a slow team too often, especially at the clearances and out of defence, where a clean break can set up very easy goals.

Our game plan doesn't exactly support economy of movement. It relies on relentless pressure.

Having said that, I don't think our GPS stats are excessive compared to other teams.
I think our numbers are high when you consider the comparative athleticism. It's a case of too few picking up the slack.

Continuously playing around with that when the talent/football output gap isn't really much of anything just keeps exacerbating the issue, as does not figuring out or divesting our regular long term injury risks, but neither of those are Russell's fault primarily.

Someone with better knowledge … Russell is regarded as one of the best in the business so are we running further and harder then most teams or are all teams about the same … what does he do that is elite because from my couch it looks pretty average

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton isn’t the only club with injury prone players - see Prestia, Lynch and Graham at Richmond - probably worse than our worst (but we do have our fair share). Reality about the cause is likely somewhere in between the polar opinions on player management vs natural propensity to strain muscles. How to deal with this reality is the $64 question. But high performance boss needs to take responsibility for not keeping it under control.
Richmond? The club who won 3 premierships with hardly a single injury through those years? One bad year so what? That is not a comparable situation whatsoever. I

Richmond? The club who won 3 premierships with hardly a single injury through those years? One bad year so what? That is not a comparable situation whatsoever. I
The 3 Richmond players I mentioned have been sidelined for large chunks of the past 2-3 years (and you can probably add Hopper to that list). Carton isn’t the only club with this problem. No excuses though. Something is not being done as well as it is at most other clubs.

Are these players doing all they can within their control to stay healthy? Taking personal responsibility?

Honestly I think they do. We have a solid group of leaders, a strong coaching staff and a winning culture & mentality now. I don’t think players would get away with taking the piss at Carlton anymore. Cripps, Weiters, Walsh & Voss wouldn’t allow it. It’s not pre-Judd Carlton anymore.

Emotionally... I'm so over the never ending injuries, start to get a couple players back... we pick up some new injuries. It just constantly recycles.
I can't remember a team ever winning a flag constantly dealing with 10+ on the injury list.

Logically... Russell can't be sacked mid-season, so lets hope the club are gathering the relevant information to review at the end of the year.

Whether it is the S&C team, the training program, the injury prone players, the playing lists' professionalism in general or the training surface we need to figure it out and quick smart.

This year and the next couple look as open as any to pinch a flag but we certainly won't do it dealing with constant injury crisis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back