Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad luck guys, appears SOS is waiting to pounce, but nothing will happen. Sheil himself believes he'll be a Bomber at 8.30 pm tomorrow night, according to Tony Sheahan................................

b9c1da40a93a21c601d515bb2d028b44_bigger.jpeg
Tony Sheahan‏ @TonySheahan 3h3 hours ago

Despite speculation in the @AFL world that @EssendonFC & @GWSGIANTS won’t be able to do a deal for Shiel & @CarltonFC ready to pounce, the player has confided to friends he will be a Bomber by 8.30pm Wednesday night!!!

8:37 PM - 15 Oct 2018 from Melbourne, Victoria

Well B70's rumour was that Carlton and GWS are still talking about Shiel...but nothing about Shiel wanting to come to us.

I'm sure it's just to put pressure on Essendon to cough up a bit more.

GWS’ medicos would have the bigger read, having monitored it all year.

His contract isn’t huge, and they are already moving Shiel, Setterfield and Lobb on, which is also pretty telling.

Interesting to see how he fares over the pre-season.

History proves Hawthorn's medical team is far better than GWS' though.

The injury disparity between the two teams over so many years can't just be coincidence or good/bad luck.
GWS have lots of injuries every single year. I'm pretty sure their medical team just isn't that good.

I just don't see it happening with the Swans.

They are getting in son-of-Blakey this year, a top 6 draft talent. On top of Henney and Mills. Swns will be hanging around like a bad smell. I am not writing their obituary like I am with the Dawks.

They will have to pay the price for that because a club will have to bid on him and consequently its not like they are getting Blakely plus another first rounder this year. There decline might be slower than the other two however it will happen.

Well B70's rumour was that Carlton and GWS are still talking about Shiel...but nothing about Shiel wanting to come to us.

I'm sure it's just to put pressure on Essendon to cough up a bit more.
Hopefully we're not wasting our time on trivial matters like that...

GWS were desperate to win a premiership in 2016/17 or 18 and just lived with the impending TPP bomb (back-ended deals).

Now, they can't live with it anymore.

Yeah I get the feeling their plan was to;

- win at least one flag over the 16-18 period
- progressively release a number of senior players still in their prime for top end draft choices, once the first flag was won
- identify a few GWS lifers and go even harder on their salaries while the next wave of draft choices get up to speed

Which is basically what’s happened/happening. The only reason the narrative externally is negative is because they missed out on the flag part of the equation. They will be so upset about 2016 - that was their chance. And I think if they had have won in 16, the exodus would have been a little smoother than what we’re seeing now - they’ve clearly held on to the bitter end and now it all looks a bit messier than they’d like.

Welcome to AFL Business. It’s a lot like Monopoly and Risk rolled into one game and played using the dice from Yahtzee.

No one has a rule book except the banker, and they have discretion to read it only as they deem necessary.

Good luck ...

They've nailed it:
Scully and Scrimshaw for a paltry pick 51 (assuming they finish 4th next year).

The trade period is soooooo frustrating, I know a lot of posters weren’t keen on picking up Scrimshaw, but to see him get traded for what will end up being a 8-10 spot pick upgrade really pisses me off.
Does it make you feel any better knowing that we wouldn't have drafted him with pick 70 let alone 7 in his draft year?

Hawks gonna get Sheil for future 7th rounder and some potato chips..blah blah blah

My Hawks supporting brother has been such a pain in my ass recently.. I hope Scully never plays a game, not because I'm an evil person but to stick it right up my brother..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think B70's rumour that we are a chance if Essendon can't do a deal is probably spot on even though the chances are low. I think all those posters who said Shiel was going to nominate us were right because he probably nominated a number of clubs and we were probably one of them. I think it was GWS who chose which club was sole club to nominate from those choices. Most players leaving seem to want to do right by the club they are leaving. Shiel would be leaving GWS on really good terms. I think the rumours that we are pissed with GWS are probably true too. We probably knew we were one of his choices and thought we would be chosen. It all makes a lot of sense really.

Fairly sure Essendon are using GWS' salary cap against them to get him for unders. Traditionally a player like Shiel is worth two first rounders. GWS will want that, Essendon will be trying for less. All Essendon have to do is better the offer of whichever club Shiel has chosen and for GWS to be forced to trade Shiel. Essendon should be able to better our deal.

I think Shiel has done the right thing by GWS and Essendon are using circumstances to get the best deal. Can't see us beating Essendon's offer. Maybe if we had a second round pick or something like that but we don't.

I think we're done for now.
Except GWS dont have to trade Shiel now with Scully and Setterfield gone. They may wish to still but not at any cost. Its likely that they told Shiel all along if things go right you stay. If not we have screwed the scum good.

Hawks gonna get Sheil for future 7th rounder and some potato chips..

My Hawks supporting brother had been such a pain in my ass recently.. I hope Scully never plays a game, not because I'm an evil person but to stick it right up my brother..
They just gave a 4 year contract to a running machine who can't run. Why so jelly?

Hawthorn's medical team have proven to be one of the best in the business...GWS' have proven to be one of the worst.
I know who i'd back in.

Hawthorn extended Scully's contract to a total of 4 years...to do that you'd think they're pretty confident he'll get at least close to his best.

Interesting but would B70 have any real info on this particular matter? Assuming his source is from Carlton, we didn't put Scully through a medical so how would we (Carlton) know for sure his body is cooked?
Heard on SEN that should Scully retire due to a career ending injury there is no impact on the Dorks salary cap which mitigates their risks considerably. The 4 years might have been Scully's requirement for moving.

History proves Hawthorn's medical team is far better than GWS' though.

The injury disparity between the two teams over so many years can't just be coincidence or good/bad luck.
GWS have lots of injuries every single year. I'm pretty sure their medical team just isn't that good.

You mean our new medical team?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Enough of the off topic rubbish.

Red Energy, Toyota FFS ...

This thread is bad enough as it is!
Agree. I blame the AFL for this. The prolonged trade week is driving everyone crazy, stir crazy.

And I also blame GW ****ing S, for dicking us around with the Shiel trade. I can’t believe we’re still talking about Shiel as a possible get, one week after he nominated *.

Can’t wait for Wednesday 8.30pm so we get back to normal posting transmission, ffs.

Slightly different players, but I guess this is the Hawks line of thinking. Only trouble is it forces Hardwick into more of a rebounding role, when he’s far more effective as a disciplined stopper.

Scrimshaw is still a long shot too.

Really think they are forcing the Wingard trade, and don’t have enough elite talent to challenge, which is going to keep them in the bottom half of the 8 for a few years and them set them into a steep decline.
It's going to be hard for them because they are pretty much relying on finding players late which always requires an element of luck. I imagine they think staying up allows them a bigger advantage of getting FA's so are hoping that offsets the disadvantage at the draft.
I also think they are of the belief that if you build a strong core than you can fill in holes with role players and still win a flag ala Richmond and even West Coast to an extent.
I think I read West Coast only had two top ten picks play in their premiership, so it proves you don't have to bottom out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back