Mod. Notice Board Rules Addendum

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys and Gals (and "other"?) please note the following has been added to our club board rules.

-------------------------------------------
Quoting Posts from Another Board

It's been a long standing Big Footy rule that people shouldn't quote a post from another board. Why? Because it just drags people between boards, often to a club board where they don't have the same right of reply.

Lately BF mods have been allowing post text to be quoted, providing the author and link to the post are removed. This is generally OK with common sense applied:

1) Have some originality. Copying and pasting from another board shouldn't be the bulk of a user's contribution.
2) Don't deliberately agitate. It cannot be used to bully and harass other users.
3) Be current. It is relevant to an issue at hand, not solely to ridicule random posts.
4) If you give it, you should be able to take it. This is non-negotiable. If the quoted person finds their text and derogatory comments reposted, they should be given more leeway to reply in kind. This isn't an open-slather opportunity to let opposition posters run rampant, but it does give them a right of reply.
---------------------------------------------

Full rules to be found here; BOARD RULES - please read before posting

Guys and Gals (and "other"?) please note the following has been added to our club board rules.

-------------------------------------------
Quoting Posts from Another Board

It's been a long standing Big Footy rule that people shouldn't quote a post from another board. Why? Because it just drags people between boards, often to a club board where they don't have the same right of reply.

Lately BF mods have been allowing post text to be quoted, providing the author and link to the post are removed. This is generally OK with common sense applied:

1) Have some originality. Copying and pasting from another board shouldn't be the bulk of a user's contribution.
2) Don't deliberately agitate. It cannot be used to bully and harass other users.
3) Be current. It is relevant to an issue at hand, not solely to ridicule random posts.
4) If you give it, you should be able to take it. This is non-negotiable. If the quoted person finds their text and derogatory comments reposted, they should be given more leeway to reply in kind. This isn't an open-slather opportunity to let opposition posters run rampant, but it does give them a right of reply.
---------------------------------------------

Full rules to be found here; BOARD RULES - please read before posting
Great change IMO.

I'll be interested to see how point 4 goes on oppo boards. The Bullflogs thread has some stuff lifted from here which backfired for them last week but the posters got away with it. I'd imagine if some of us got stuck into them there we'd get bans.

I'll be interested to see how point 4 goes on oppo boards. The Bullflogs thread has some stuff lifted from here which backfired for them last week but the posters got away with it. I'd imagine if some of us got stuck into them there we'd get bans.
It will be a site side policy, and the Bulldogs board is one of the ones leading the charge, you'll find a similar post to the above here it appears to have had the intended effect to date.

I'm not one to fall into line with the establishment easily, and there was a lot of personal nastiness directed at me on their board. Seems to me it's been addressed appropriately and I dont assume they got away with it. That's outside my control though.
In general I think taking posts to a team board and rubbishing them from that position of safety was wrong. Rubbishing ideas is a whole different story.

I'm not one to fall into line with the establishment easily, and there was a lot of personal nastiness directed at me on their board. Seems to me it's been addressed appropriately and I dont assume they got away with it. That's outside my control though.
In general I think taking posts to a team board and rubbishing them from that position of safety was wrong. Rubbishing ideas is a whole different story.

I agree, there should be no immunity from taking posts from this board to another board but interested to see how it goes, on paper the admin are saying its fair game, if you give it, cop it. But as we know some mods of other boards like to play by thier own rules.

I agree, there should be no immunity from taking posts from this board to another board but interested to see how it goes, on paper the admin are saying its fair game, if you give it, cop it. But as we know some mods of other boards like to play by thier own rules.
Actually the rules restrict it to the idea, I'm not a herd animal but not a conspiracy theorist either. If you look at the opposition posters thread on the Demons board I think you see one that works well.

Not sure I entirely like this. If I'm going to comment on a comment I want the commenter to know that I've commented. I know these forums are anonymous but that's next level stuff.

Also, I'd like to know if a comment of mine has been commented on or taken out of context or ridiculed or if I've been insulted personally for making it.

I don't read a lot of other club's boards and when I do I'm unlikely to be in a thread where this might happen.

If you're going to quote me. Have the guts to quote me. The whole dishing it out/taking it thing only works if you know what's been dished out.

Not sure I entirely like this. If I'm going to comment on a comment I want the commenter to know that I've commented. I know these forums are anonymous but that's next level stuff.
If you are commenting on their post nothing changes

Also, I'd like to know if a comment of mine has been commented on or taken out of context or ridiculed or if I've been insulted personally for making it.
Does it help digest if you were to know this has been going on for 12 months and this provides boundaries rather than instigating secrecy.

I don't read a lot of other club's boards and when I do I'm unlikely to be in a thread where this might happen.
From my experience that's a wise approach

If you're going to quote me. Have the guts to quote me. The whole dishing it out/taking it thing only works if you know what's been dished out.
I find it hard to be offended by things I don't know about ;)

Basically it boils down to:
  • if you're commenting on a post comment in the thread that post was made, regardless of which board it may be on.
  • if you don't want to comment on that post on the board in question but want to take it to another board, think about why you're doing that.
I agree about wanting the commenter to know that I've replied to their post. That's why I reply in the thread the post was made rather than taking it to a completely different board. The latter is what this is intended to stop, or at least regulate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back