Boundary Umpires ruling on goal reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Ultimatt

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
In the Freo v Swans game last night the field umpire asked for a 2nd opinion from the boundary umpire on a goal review. The boundary umpires completely unsighted behind 2 goal posts and says he thinks it was touched.

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/offsiders/NC1528V012S00#playing Watch from 13m 25s.

If the goal umpire that's 1 metre away is unsure then ask for a review. What do they hope to achieve by asking what an unsighted boundary umpire saw? The AFL is embarrassing itself with this goal review system. They need to empower the goal umpires to make a decision without any input from the field umpires and they need high-def high-speed cameras.

Attachments

• Boundary Umpire.jpg
    Boundary Umpire.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 6
Happened in the Port game also! And worse, the field umpire asked the goal umpire initially what he saw, and his response was "I think it was a goal but I want to check". The boundary umpire then ran up and chimed it "I saw it and it was touched"..

So the field umpire re-asked the goal umpire, who then changed his story and said "I believe it is touched, but want to check".

The replays were inconclusive, so it stood as a behind. The replays also showed the same thing as the Freo game- the stupid boundary umpire standing directly behind the BEHIND post, with zero chance of seeing anything (and in both cases, looking from the non-field side of the post).

The rule should be that the field umpire ask the goal umpire "did you see it clearly". He then responds "no" or "yes- I believe it was touched/not-touched but need to check".

Boundary umpires should have Zero Say unless the goal umpire first says he was unsighted for whatever reason.

Nothing more annoying than a nobody boundary umpire biasing the decision of the goal umpire who is in the perfect spot to judge it.

Rant over.

No it's not- that hit the post review was also strange, as the goal umpire (when watching the replay) clearly didn't think it hit, as he didn't signal it, and continued to watch the action.. That's odd since his official call was "hit the post" when they decided to review it...

If the umpire said he's sure it was or wasn't touched, then he's sure.

If he wasn't sure he would have said something less conclusive then the field/goal umpires should have taken his opinion into account as they made up their own minds.

Considering how often boundary umpires can't even tell when the ball has gone out of bounds I don't see how their opinion can hold any weight in regards to goals

And how often do you think that happens?

I think the umpires should make a decision and the teams get 2 reviews per game. If a player thinks he's touched it or it's hit the post, then they should make the call.

WRT the boundary umpire being behind the behind post. The post is an extension of the line, and the ball must pass it completely for it to be a score. So being behind the post is actually the correct position to be in as the umpire can see if the whole of the ball is over the whole of the line. He shouldn't be changing the umpires mind though.

There should be cameras to do this job at every ground. It's ridiculous having a rule that varies depending on which ground you're at. This needs to be addressed soon or at least when the new TV rights deal is up. Then the TV stations can provide the equipment.

Considering how often boundary umpires can't even tell when the ball has gone out of bounds I don't see how their opinion can hold any weight in regards to goals
The boundary knew that first goal on ANZAC day was out, he just didn't have the courage to speak up and call play back. Trouble was he slipped up at the time he would've blown it, picked himself up as the goal umpire got the all clear.

Any idiot knows that if you have to throw yourself into the fence to get a clear look at the footy from the boundary line, then the ball is over. He had a genuine look of "aw, s**t..." and either knew the almighty spray he was going to cop calling it so late or doubted his power in doing so after the all clear.

The boundary knew that first goal on ANZAC day was out, he just didn't have the courage to speak up and call play back. Trouble was he slipped up at the time he would've blown it, picked himself up as the goal umpire got the all clear.

Any idiot knows that if you have to throw yourself into the fence to get a clear look at the footy from the boundary line, then the ball is over. He had a genuine look of "aw, s**t..." and either knew the almighty spray he was going to cop calling it so late or doubted his power in doing so after the all clear.

Bullshit.

Speaking as an ex-boundary umpire (at a lower level), I've chased down the play 100m away until the field ump heard the whistle (1 field ump back then) and called it back to where it had crossed the line, and the only consequence I ever got was a pat on the back (actually, one time I did it I got asked if I was interested in a VFL job).

No way they would have reached that level if they weren't willing and able to make the call.

Bullshit.

Speaking as an ex-boundary umpire (at a lower level), I've chased down the play 100m away until the field ump heard the whistle (1 field ump back then) and called it back to where it had crossed the line, and the only consequence I ever got was a pat on the back (actually, one time I did it I got asked if I was interested in a VFL job).

No way they would have reached that level if they weren't willing and able to make the call.
He picked himself up, looked at the goal umpire, then the crowd in the ponsford stand and that was that. Dropped his shoulders and looked at the ground.

He picked himself up, looked at the goal umpire, then the crowd in the ponsford stand and that was that. Dropped his shoulders and looked at the ground.

So he didn't know, looked to another umpire for guidance, got none and thus couldn't make a call either way.

Unfortunate that he got in that position, but it doesn't mean he knew he was wrong and kept quiet.

so what happened? did the review guy say it was touched/not touched/not enough evidence to be sure?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back