pumped

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2004
Northcote
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Watched the VFL with interest and was pleasantly surprised with Bower. Felt he had dash and composure. Was anyone else impressed with him in this match. It is the first I have seen of him.

Felt Livo played pretty well but don't believe he is the answer for us in the AFL. Whilst it is reported that he is quick in time trials just looks slow to me. Also appears to be very slow on reaction times.

Overall I think we need quick dashing players long term in defence. Teague and McGrath are too slow for my liking. Would rather rotate players like Bower, Russell, Hartlett and Bannister through there over this season. Like Walker down there and feel that Thornton can be valuable so long as other backmen are quick.

Perhaps even Waite could have a run at CHB at times as I feel Lance could be well suited up forward.

i was happy with bower in the praccy match against PA even though he only played the one quarter. plenty to work with imo.

Spot on pumped bower looking very very good ,has dash and very good disposal for a big kid looks a great prospect we may see him before the end of the season at the highest level.
the reserection has begun.

hope so boys...that backline is badly lacking rebounding pace...really hope bower comes up...saw edwards running around princes park...he's a big boy...

blues76 said:
hope so boys...that backline is badly lacking rebounding pace...really hope bower comes up...saw edwards running around princes park...he's a big boy...

Walker at CHB gives as a fair bit. But yeah agree. (Fisher was down there as well against the hawks. And Pagan is talking of puttng waite there, geeze Fev is going to get lonely.)

bower sounds good. So does kennedy. I think with waite, deluca, fev, fish, kennedy moving through our forward line they are in for some headaches. If Lance can keep his form then richo is going to have to wrok extra hard, and any mistakes will be punished severely. He might need to be moved onto the "side-line".

Looks like jordan russell will keep his spot as well.

Seems to really back himself........

This week we will need t cover the like of Richo & Stafford - 2 big units.
Lance will take one, it wouldnt suprise to see Kouta go back this week imo.

pumped said:
Watched the VFL with interest and was pleasantly surprised with Bower. Felt he had dash and composure. Was anyone else impressed with him in this match. It is the first I have seen of him.

Felt Livo played pretty well but don't believe he is the answer for us in the AFL. Whilst it is reported that he is quick in time trials just looks slow to me. Also appears to be very slow on reaction times.

Overall I think we need quick dashing players long term in defence. Teague and McGrath are too slow for my liking. Would rather rotate players like Bower, Russell, Hartlett and Bannister through there over this season. Like Walker down there and feel that Thornton can be valuable so long as other backmen are quick.

Perhaps even Waite could have a run at CHB at times as I feel Lance could be well suited up forward.

agree with livo seeming to have slow reaction time and teague obviously lacking pace but mcgrath is not slow, i'd say he is quicker than Bower and Hartlett and has a better football brain than Bannister.

strange comment regarding mcgrath

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waite_30 said:
We can outrun Richmond IMO. Bower should come in along with Bannister to produce more run outta the backline.

Haven't seen him play yet, but does any else think it might be a bit eary for him to play at AFL level. He needs time to learn the craft and senior level and giving him plenty of games time with the Ants is just the right thing to do. We don't want to kill the kid guys - let's give him quite a few more games with the Ants.

HugeBluesFan said:
Haven't seen him play yet, but does any else think it might be a bit eary for him to play at AFL level. He needs time to learn the craft and senior level and giving him plenty of games time with the Ants is just the right thing to do. We don't want to kill the kid guys - let's give him quite a few more games with the Ants.
i watched carlton training last night and bower looks to have some good size about him
but he did seem to get a little lost in the contest. on a few ocassions he was watching the play and allowed his opponent to duck out the back and take an easy mark

i have yet to see him in a competetive match so it is hard to guage how he goes when the real stuff is on.

IMO players should do an apprentership like players did in the 80's.
dipper, tuck & dermie all played 70 to 100 ressies games before they played seniors, this is a lot harder to do in today's game but players need to be ready to play AFL football.

this may eplain why many draft picks don't live upto the expectation place on them.

bibi01 said:
agree with livo seeming to have slow reaction time and teague obviously lacking pace but mcgrath is not slow, i'd say he is quicker than Bower and Hartlett and has a better football brain than Bannister.

strange comment regarding mcgrath

Hi bibi01,

I don't think McGrath is as slow as Teague but do believe he lacks pace for his size. Bower and Hartlett are 6.3 plus and quick for their heights. In my opinion his footy smarts are not incredibly high. He is courageous and hard but lacks class .

Bannister I feel does have smarts but has had a poor attitude. He reminds me of Campo and Stevens with his victim attitude. However so far in the VFL he seems to have knuckled down a fair bit.

Will be a welcome addition to our backline when he's ready. Whack him into CHb in a couple of years time.

Two others to watch for as tall defenders are Edwards and Flint. A couple of rippers!

The player that would have stood up and played seniors this year is Hartlett and his injury is hurting us as far as development goes, as for Bower i would give him a run in the seniors as Hawthorn have done with Zac Dawson who is just as light as Bower.:thumbsu:

pumped said:

Some valid points. Was extremely impressed with Bower. Seems to have a very attacking mindset. Excellent foot skills and leg speed. Pretty tall – about 6’4” I think. Seemed to have lots of time, and backed his ability on a number of occasions. Plays with a natural intensity, but doesn’t get flustered. Always looking for an option further up the field. Only concern is that he’s a little too attacking for a defender i.e. plays off his man a fair bit. Have a feeling the Blues hierarchy are waiting for him to tighten the defensive side of his game a little before giving him a run in the seniors – hopefully mid-late season. :)

Read on another Carlton website that he is now 194cm and 89kg so is still growing and filling out. Pretty impressive stats. After a couple of seasons in the gym the kid will be huge!

I wonder what the latest measurements are for Kennedy but I'm more inetersted in Edwards and Flint's measurements. Edwards was listed as being 192cm and 82kg before the season started. Flint was listed as being 188cm and 83kg. I would think both are taller and bigger now, well hopefully anyway.

Flint looks very impressive as a natural defender. Bower also. Edwards could well surprise many also.

I saw Bower play for Northern Bullants against Williamstown and was really impressed. He is a big kid who seem to have alot of dash and composure coming out of the backline. IMO would be a better inclusion than Kennedy for this weeks game. If hes up for it he would be a good opponent for Tarrant because he could match him for height and pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back