Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Here are a few assistant coaches going around at the moment. Plus a few others. What do you think?

• Scott Burns (Crows)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Blake Caracella (ESS)

Votes: 21 12.4%
  • Justin Leppitsch (Filth)

Votes: 14 8.3%
  • Josh Fraser (Filth)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Josh Carr (Port)

• Brendon Lade (Dogs)

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Kade Simpson (Hawks)

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Nigel Lappin (Geelong)

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Dean Cox (Swans)

• Adam Yze ( Melb)

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 46 27.2%
  • Chocco Williams

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Nathan Buckley

• Ken Hinkley

• Adam Simpson

• Stuart Dew

• Leon Cameron

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 22 13.0%
  • Damien Hardwick

Votes: 41 24.3%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Brent Momgomery

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t want to go around in circles because I will probably get muted again.

If I could go back in time and make the decision I would swap for Lyon in a heartbeat because he gets the best out of his players. Proven by numbers.

That will be my opinion until Voss shows he can get this team performing to their potential for more than a purple patch in the regular season.
You're only going round in circles because you use one metric of success for Ross Lyon and a different one for everyone else in the world.

Wasn't aware that you had decided to "boycott" the team.

I would like to apologise to everyone else for engaging with you on this thread. That will stop immediately from my side and won't re-commence even if you would like to have the final word.

You either didn't watch the clip, or didn't understand it.

Which one is it?
I understood it perfectly. He’s wrestling with the truth after failing to make himself feel better/save face. Rather than accepting accountability.

I also showed a video of an athlete who shares that point of view and is not laughing at it like you claimed. Also happens to be one of the most successful players ever. Which you either didn’t watch or don’t understand.

I understood it perfectly. He’s wrestling with the truth after failing to make himself feel better/save face. Rather than accepting accountability.

No I don’t think you did.

If that’s what you got out of it, it’s actually pretty clear you didn’t.

I also showed a video of an athlete who shares that point of view and is not laughing at it like you claimed. Also happens to be one of the most successful players ever. Which you either didn’t watch or don’t understand.

Nice.

Firstly, Shaq is a commentator, not an athlete.
Also reckon you clearly know nothing about the dynamic of that show.

As for your last sentence, guess you really do have nothing of substance to add, if all you can do is try and throw my words back at me.

Very shallow contribution.

Edit: also reckon I’m done with this one. Clearly the good form we’re in has really dampened your spirit.

You do you mate.

If I could go back in time and make the decision I would swap for Lyon in a heartbeat because he gets the best out of his players. Proven by numbers.

That will be my opinion until Voss shows he can get this team performing to their potential for more than a purple patch in the regular season.

Have you not found even 1 positive in the last 6 games?

No I don’t think you did.

If that’s what you got out of it, it’s actually pretty clear you didn’t.

Nice.

Firstly, Shaq is a commentator, not an athlete.
Also reckon you clearly know nothing about the dynamic of that show.

As for your last sentence, guess you really do have nothing of substance to add, if all you can do is try and throw my words back at me.

Very shallow contribution.

Edit: also reckon I’m done with this one. Clearly the good form we’re in has really dampened your spirit.

You do you mate.
mod pulls up at scene of accident to find nothing but workers sweeping glass off the road.......

Have you not found even 1 positive in the last 6 games?
Of course, they’re playing up to their potential. But no point celebrating with another 7-8 games to go. It’s Voss’s job to sustain the mentality. So will see if they start submitting mentally like last year.

The idea that a flag is the only 'success' is bizarre. Life is never that black and white.

This is ultimately both an entertainment business, a 'people' business, and a sport. I think you have to evaluate a coach on how they handle all three. A good set of criteria for me would be:

Sport:
1. On-field success. With a young team = competitive every week and 7th-14th ladder position (ie: I think Freo the last 2 years). With a mature team = competitive and top 6 each season (ie: if things go well you can win a premiership - basically Geelong under Scott).
2. Premierships. Having got your team into position, can you get them firing and fit at the right time to have it all come together

People:
3. Retention of players and coaching staff; do players stick around and speak positively of the environment
4. Development and growth of players; do high draft picks succeed? do cheap recruits and lower drafts picks exceed expectations? do players know their role?

Entertainment and Industry:
5. Does the team play 'entertaining' footy. This is subjective; but a case of 'I know it when I see it'. It's a combination of players on field playing to potential, game style, showing up in big games, etc. You can be dour and defensive and play entertaining footy (think Paul Roos swans) and you can be entertaining while in the bottom 4 (even Hawthorn this year fit that)
6. Do the coach and players represent the club in a way that fans can feel proud to be a part of;

The last point or two might be controversial, but ultimately we do this for entertainment - to spend 3-4 hours of our week watching the game, then talking about it, discussing it, etc. And the tribal experience is at the heart of footy; it has the profile it does (and we're all on Bigfooty) because of the desire to be a part of something bigger than yourself, and the coach plays a role in that.

These might not be equally weighted and there's probably other things that matter, but that's a starting point.

Great coaches manage a 10-15 year run where:
1. The team is rarely outside the top 6, and just seems to find a way to get back there even in down years
2. They win a premiership or two along the way
3. Players want to be there, stay for 300 games, take less money
4. The list can be regenerated because of 3, and because young players develop to fill the gaps left by older players retiring
5. No one regrets the team being on Friday night footy; rivalries develop, memorable wins and losses occur, etc
6. The fans and broader footy world remember the team and era fondly, and not just for the on-field stuff (think Malthouses's press conferences at West Coast, Sheedy's Marshmallow rivalries and Baby Bombers, etc)

Um….. you realise we should be cemented in the top 4..

Premiership window opened last year for this list. Voss has achieved nothing with one of, if not the best list in the comp.

A few acceptable h&a games in a row is nothing. There’s 1 success and 17 failures each year, remember that.

Interesting take CB…might I suggest a change of avatar ;)

200.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon was nice to begin the year but turned on his players once they lost a few games (from a best 22 player). Take a look at their formline and its pretty easy to see where he lost them, be shocked if they turn it around personally.

Pretty happy we dodged Lyon regardless of how Voss turns out.

So if the sun's make a final for the first time but dont win a flag that's a failure? Your definition is rubbish, you can have a successful season without winning a flag.

By your definition the bloke that you wanted to coach us (Ross Lyon) is one of the great failures of all time. Umpteen seasons coaching, numerous grand finals and nil premierships.

You sound like a sad soulless person who only gets any joy from complaining about things on an internet forum. I'm 63 and have seen 8 premierships but my joy last Friday night was huge. Just roll with it and enjoy it.

I agree if you only get joy from premierships you will lead a very sad existence as a fan.

Especially with 18 sides and soon to be 19 sides, salary cap, draft etc. This isn’t the 80s anymore when we were competing with only 2-3 other sides most of the time. Nor is it the Scottish premier league.

Of course, they’re playing up to their potential. But no point celebrating with another 7-8 games to go. It’s Voss’s job to sustain the mentality. So will see if they start submitting mentally like last year.

So us winning every game is playing to our potential? Is our potential to win a flag every year and any less a failure to meet our potential?

Back