2023 Finals. Blues, others, and GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 8 contenders and their positions this week:

1. Collingwood - have Essendon, will want to find some form coming into finals and the Bombers are putrid. Barring a massive response from them after a belting by GWS, the Pies have top spot sewn up.
2. Brisbane - have St Kilda, at the Gabba. Will desperately want a home final, and they're only ahead of Port on percentage. They play before Port as well, so don't have the luxury of an earlier game dictating terms.
3. Port - have Richmond, at Adelaide. Unlikely they can secure a top 2 spot, there is a world where they'd rather lose and play Collingwood than win and play Brisbane at the Gabba in the first final, but I don't think they'll be able to tank hard enough to lose to Richmond.
4. Melbourne - have Sydney, at the SCG. Similarly to Port, they may prefer to finish 4th instead of 3rd for the sake of the first matchup, so even if Port drop the game against Richmond there's not much for Melbourne to play for except pride/momentum.
5. Carlton - have GWS, at Marvel. Final game of the round, so all other results will be known. Only teams who can catch us are St Kilda (unlikely) and Sydney (more likely, but percentage-dependent).
6. St Kilda - have Brisbane, at the Gabba. Tough matchup with Brissy needing to win to ensure a home final. Heard a St Kilda staffer (didn't catch the name) this morning on SEN, was asked about the prospect of resting a lot of players - response was very much "will be based on individual needs and programs", and given it followed talk that Max King would need surgery once the season was done I interpret it as guys like him being given the week off. I think Ross will have been satisfied making finals this year, it's an "overachievement" on expectation and anything beyond that is a bonus.
7. Sydney - have Melbourne, at the SCG. Missing a few key players, so they're vulnerable, but they've got more to play for than Melbourne. They'll know before the game if St Kilda have lost, and if so that a home final is on offer.
8. GWS - have Carlton, at Marvel. Interesting prospect, if St Kilda and Sydney both lose, then they're potentially in the running for a home final, and if St Kilda and Sydney have both lost, then Carlton have pretty much nothing to play for except momentum and Charlie's Coleman (if Tex annihilates WC).
9. Bulldogs - have Geelong, at Geelong. Expecting Geelong to bubblewrap a few senior players for preseason now, so WB probably bounce back and win this one to give GWS a bit of extra motivation.

My expected results:

- Collingwood beat Essendon
- Brisbane beat St Kilda
- Port beat Richmond
- Melbourne lose to Sydney
- Carlton lose to GWS
- Bulldogs beat Geelong

Leaves the ladder as:

1. Collingwood
2. Brisbane
3. Port
4. Melbourne
5. Carlton
6. Sydney
7. GWS
8. St Kilda

Week 1:
Melbourne beat Collingwood
Brisbane beat Port
Carlton beat St Kilda
GWS beat Sydney

Week 2:
Carlton beat Collingwood
Port beat GWS

Week 3:
Melbourne beat Port
Brisbane beat Carlton

Week 4:
Melbourne vs Brisbane grand final

Very hard to say what’s better really

If we finish 5th we likely face a semi against Collingwood (unless they somehow beat the Dees) for the right to travel to the Gabba for the Prelim (ouch)

Versus

If we finish 6th (or 7th) we more likely face a semi against Port at the Adelaide Oval (where we have never won) but in the off chance that Port wins at the Gabba we would in fact have a semi at the Gabba - and if we win the semi we face Melbourne (or Collingwood potentially but unlikely) in the Prelim

Personally I think Melbourne and Brisbane are the two most likely Premiers and I don’t know which I prefer as a Prelim opponent. Possible Lions choke again but at the same time Dees know how to win Finals now and both are strong with the contested footy. Beating Melbourne and Brisbane at the MCG is easier than playing at the Gabba so finishing 6th is probably the better outcome. We can of course beat both at our best but we may not always be at our best in all four finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One of the popular models on the main board is Squiggle

It has the final ladder as this

img_7806-jpeg.1780441

The finals play out like this

img_7807-jpeg.1780442

We beat GWS in week 1
We beat Coll in week 2
We lose to the Lions at the Gabba in the prelim

img_7806-jpeg.1780441

img_7807-jpeg.1780442

We beat GWS in week 1
We beat Coll in week 2
Mr Squiggle never was all that smart.
The prelim is upside down...we win and then win the big one.

Mr Squiggle never was all that smart.
The prelim is upside down...we win and then win the big one.

If that's the case, then all I can say is...

Hmmmm..... HURRY...UP!

Well done to you guys, no team would want to face you in finals especially with Curnow strutting around pretty much dominating everything in sight love watching him play, together with powered up Patrick Cripps and Sam Walsh I can see you guys in prelim final all the best guys.

Well done to you guys, no team would want to face you in finals especially with Curnow strutting around pretty much dominating everything in sight love watching him play, together with powered up Patrick Cripps and Sam Walsh I can see you guys in prelim final all the best guys.

Thanks Wiz.

Hopefully you guys get some good kids in the draft.

If there's a group of supporters that understands how tough it is to watch your team bottom out and rebuild, it's us...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Wiz.

All the best for 2024.

Thanks Wiz.

Hopefully you guys get some good kids in the draft.

If there's a group of supporters that understands how tough it is to watch your team bottom out and rebuild, it's us...
Yea, its our turn to rebuild properly and get some good draft picks and then start the hard work. You guys are reaping the rewards also your Captain Patrick Cripps is from my neck of the woods great to see him have some success seems like he is built to dominate finals.

img_7806-jpeg.1780441

img_7807-jpeg.1780442

We beat GWS in week 1
We beat Coll in week 2
Loved it til you had us losing at the Gabba. Reckon that's one of the last 2022 hoodoos to break - smash those pricks up there at the Gabba.

Also so I can get along to the game from the Coast.

Would strongly consider getting down to the G' in Week 2 if this eventuated.

Loved it til you had us losing at the Gabba. Reckon that's one of the last 2022 hoodoos to break - smash those pricks up there at the Gabba.

Also so I can get along to the game from the Coast.

Would strongly consider getting down to the G' in Week 2 if this eventuated.

We make it to the G in week 2, I'll save ya a seat!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back