Game Day Box Hill v Essendon practice match

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoke to David Hale at the BH game, he reckoned sub out of Long or Nash will ‘depend on conditions’. But the conditions are going to be pretty dry so it'll be Nash. I think he was being a bit mischievous.

First Half -

BH just on top after a slow start. Wet conditions. DGB excellent winning or halving tons of contests. I’m unsure of the calibre of opponents but he’s doing well.

Ramsden has been conspicuous getting well involved. Kicked a bomb into the wind to get us going.

Scrimshaw looking good at this level, but just going. Brocky looks a class above but doesn’t seem to get enough ball at VFL level.

Hustwaite quite prominent too but it’s a messy game due to the rain. Which looks like maybe holding off from here on.

SECOND HALF

Box Hill got up with a late flurry, after a rather poor 3rd qtr.

DGB had some good moments in the last qtr but on the whole wasn't as good in the 2nd half. But Essendon were dominating I50s in the 3rd, and he didn't have much tall support. Scrimshaw played CHB and ended up being dominated by 39 for Essendon who finished with 5 or 6 goals. Scrimma looked a bit sluggish, even for him.

Ramsden impressed me, making himself an option up forward and also chipping in around the ground. Butler, O'Sullivan and Brockman had moments but were quiet in general. Bennetts however was great. Hustwaite prominent but his kicking was a bit off.

Weddle had a good 2nd half running out of the backline. He really is an impressive size for a kid.

Box Hill might struggle a bit this year. Light on for quality KPP. Beasley will help when he comes back in, but there's not much up forward without Jeks. Serong struggled as the key target. Mascitti down back and Thorpe up forward were on managed time.

Seamus continues to improve. And we've got one in Bailey Macdonald.

Must have been about 12 50m penalties today, going both ways. Mostly for verbals I think. VFL umpires just as touchy as the AFL ones, if not more today.

Spoke to David Hale at the BH game, he reckoned sub out of Long or Nash will ‘depend on conditions’. But the conditions are going to be pretty dry so it'll be Nash. I think he was being a bit mischievous.

First Half -

BH just on top after a slow start. Wet conditions. DGB excellent winning or halving tons of contests. I’m unsure of the calibre of opponents but he’s doing well.

Ramsden has been conspicuous getting well involved. Kicked a bomb into the wind to get us going.

Scrimshaw looking good at this level, but just going. Brocky looks a class above but doesn’t seem to get enough ball at VFL level.

Hustwaite quite prominent too but it’s a messy game due to the rain. Which looks like maybe holding off from here on.

SECOND HALF

DGB had some good moments in the last qtr but on the whole wasn't as good in the 2nd half. But Essendon were dominating I50s in the 3rd, and he didn't have much tall support. Scrimshaw played CHB and ended up being dominated by 39 for Essendon who finished with 5 or 6 goals. Scrimma looked a bit sluggish, even for him.

Ramsden impressed me, making himself an option up forward and also chipping in around the ground. Butler, O'Sullivan and Brockman had moments but were quiet in general. Bennetts however was great. Hustwaite prominent but his kicking was a bit off.

Weddle had a good 2nd half running out of the backline. He really is an impressive size for a kid.

Box Hill might struggle a bit this year. Light on for quality KPP. Beasley will help when he comes back in, but there's not much up forward without Jeks. Serong struggled as the key target. Mascitti down back and Thorpe up forward were on managed time.

Must have been about 12 50m penalties today, going both ways. Mostly for verbals I think. VFL umpires just as touchy as the AFL ones, if not more today.

Thanks for the great insights. Your right about the KP players. Hopefully Mitch and Jeka coming back will have flow on effects for BHH. I’m excited about the young brigade!

First Half -

SECOND HALF

Ramma timing a good performance well 🙂

First Half -

SECOND HALF

How did Stephens go?

How did Stephens go?
He just went I thought. Playing as a starting mid he got his share, but didn't exactly shine. Hustwaite was probably a bit better than him, but Cal Porter much better than both.

All just my thoughts on what I (thought I) saw.

Not impossible he was rated much higher by the club. If Box Hill ever bother to do match reports on their VFL praccy matches like they do for the VFLW we might find out.

Can you elaborate on this? I always felt BMAC may be the dark horse of last year's draft intake.
He probably didn't get high numbers in this game, but he did show off his elite speed, very decent kicking skills and also a presence of mind when under hot pressure from multiple opponents to calmly find the space he needed to execute a perfect kick.

There was a scout taking notes on everyone, don't know what club. I asked him on the way out if he saw anything he liked and BMac was the one he wanted to talk about. Said he'd really come from nowhere last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waiting for a writeup on the snags. They abolished that onion under the snag nonsense rule yet?
No, mine were under. No biggie.

Made the mustard/sauce combo on top of the snag less likely to escape.

He probably didn't get high numbers in this game, but he did show off his elite speed, very decent kicking skills and also a presence of mind when under hot pressure from multiple opponents to calmly find the space he needed to execute a perfect kick.

There was a scout taking notes on everyone, don't know what club. I asked him on the way out if he saw anything he liked and BMac was the one he wanted to talk about. Said he'd really come from nowhere last year.
He is the holmes of this draft we were very keen on Holmes and Geelong jumped in front of us to pinch him. Geelong were keen on BMAC and we jumped in front of them to pick him. BMAC is still a work in progress. I spoke to him at training. I told him he just needs to compose himself before kicking it. He basically said yep before I could finish what I was saying and said that he was working really hard on specifically getting balanced before kicking it when he is running at top pace. He is very exciting player to watch in full flight

Well there you go - Bennetts stood out to me with some of the things he did, while Butler and O'Sullivan went under the radar.

And I'm surprised by the wrap he gave Scrimshaw. I'm a fan btw, but to me he didn't defend well at all, and was well beaten by his man. Got his share on the rebound though. But right now we could do with blokes who defend as well.

Exciting news in this write up from Seamus to Ramsden
Scrim looked to have a good game statistically so his defending must have been woeful to not warrant a call up as some here have mentioned.

Personally I see Stephens playing a big role in our midfield this year. At 22 he would be one of our more matured bodied midfielders. We clearly liked him for a reason and hope to see him sooner rather than later.

Promising to see good leadership from DGB and a challenge playing as the only KPD.

Looks like a good effort from Weddle, hopefully we see him soon.

That's good some pleasing possession numbers for a few of our likely types. Hustwaite is intriguing. Good to see Stephens getting solid numbers.

Looks like we have 3 quality small fwds coming thru let's hope we see them debut at AFL level this season. Wingard and Breust lack zip these days we need some buzz up fwd.

Given our ball use was so poor at AFL level Scrimmers has to be considered.

Scrim looked to have a good game statistically so his defending must have been woeful to not warrant a call up as some here have mentioned.

Personally I see Stephens playing a big role in our midfield this year. At 22 he would be one of our more matured bodied midfielders. We clearly liked him for a reason and hope to see him sooner rather than later.
He played that morning he was never going to play seniors regardless of his performance.

Any idea what quality of opponent ramsden had? (Given was a vfl practice game and depth in talls can be patchy).
Looking at the footage and particularly the 2 marking contests - goal #2: his opponent was our #3 ruck Nick Bryan (203cm 101kgs) so presumably he was rucking at that stage; goal #4: his opponent was Kaine Baldwin (193, 97) - 3rd year rookie, previously a forward, but is being tried as a back under Scott, so his positioning/defending is probably still a work in progress. I think Baldwin would've been his primary opponent when forward as he is our lone fit AFL listed key back outside the 22 currently.

For reference the player who kicked a bag on Scrimshaw was Patrick Voss (194, 96) - a 2nd year rookie.

Looking at the footage and particularly the 2 marking contests - goal #2: his opponent was our #3 ruck Nick Bryan (203cm 101kgs) so presumably he was rucking at that stage; goal #4: his opponent was Kaine Baldwin (193, 97) - 3rd year rookie, previously a forward, but is being tried as a back under Scott, so his positioning/defending is probably still a work in progress. I think Baldwin would've been his primary opponent when forward as he is our lone fit AFL listed key back outside the 22 currently.

For reference the player who kicked a bag on Scrimshaw was Patrick Voss (194, 96) - a 2nd year rookie.

My mates are all Essendon so they dragged me there to the VFL and it didn’t matter who was playing on Ramsden. His athleticism, clean hands and accurate kicking place him about 300% better than Kosi for mine! I was really impressed with him.

Him alongside Lewis, is starting to look like Roughie and Franklin. For sure its a different thing to play 1s and one game like that in the VFL may not get him a 1s spot., but his talent is better than Mitch Lewis’s was, at the same stage, for mine

Scrimshaw literally played half a quarter on Voss, if that, and Voss out marked him once, maybe twice. Voss kicked 3 or 4 (hardly a bag), mostly on DGB! who plays a lock down role. But Voss is the closest thing to Jonathon Brown that Ive seen. That kid can play!

But that comment really annoys me TBH! It shows a lack of understanding of our defensive structure. Scrim is not a lock down player who “plays on” a set player. Thats because he has elite ball use and intercept skills.

Once or twice youll see our lock down backs get blocked or caught out and Scrim will stand toe toe with key frwds and win some, lose some. But when he loses one, all of a sudden thats “his” man, to some nuffies on here, who play broken records, then others hum the same tune!

Please, someone other than me, explain the difference between DGBs/Blanke and Frosties role vs Scrim/CJ/Impey/Day, so that broken record can finally be tossed out!

My view on our loss is…we lost Gunston, McEvoy, Mitchell and Omeara, had Scrim, Morrison and Lewis out injured and replace them with young talented kids. The club clearly communicated what they are doing. What did you expect?

The effort always drops after a young team starts to get beaten. It will take time for them to build confidence, get stronger and be able to play 4 quarters.

I bet you all were excited like me, at qtr time! Cut them some slack! There will be more like that, but in the not too distant future, that pre-2008 excitement will return.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Scrimshaw literally played half a quarter on Voss, if that, and Voss out marked him once, maybe twice. Voss kicked 3 or 4 (hardly a bag), mostly on DGB!
Yeah nah, that's not what I saw. But we all see things differently, that's ok.

However if you're worried about people parroting nuffie rubbish, then I'm not sure about declaring Ramsden and Lewis will be like Buddy & Rough! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back