Opinion Brad Hartman

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't agree more. For such a football mad State the quality of local Sports Reporters here is truly appalling
> Basil - enough said , should stick to Telethon and leave sport alone
> Adrian Barich - cannot make a point......zero knowledge....did I mention I played for the Eagles????
> Karl Langdon - already a dinosaur and he's only in his 30's.....did I mention I played for the Eagles???
> Ken Judge - Mr Grumpy - did I mention that the Eagles sacked me ??
> Corbin Middlemass - excellent - will be poached and probably go elsewhere
> Commetti - the saving grace

As to the quality of Patersons and the WACA....worst staduims in the Land for their respective Sports by a mile !:thumbsdown:
You can always pick the Perth Cats supporters, can't you ;)

You can always pick the Perth Cats supporters, can't you ;)

Moved here from Melbourne in 1999.
Was there for 89 , 92, 94 & 95 - made it back across for 07 & 11 though - somehow made it all worthwhile.
Truly laughable to go to Patersons to see a game , apart from the shizen facilities Dockers fans constantly yell BALL ! and Eagles fans either winge about the umpires or constantly yell BOO ! Hope the new Stadium not only advances the experience but also manages to educate these flogs. :D

Moved here from Melbourne in 1999.
Was there for 89 , 92, 94 & 95 - made it back across for 07 & 11 though - somehow made it all worthwhile.
Truly laughable to go to Patersons to see a game , apart from the shizen facilities Dockers fans constantly yell BALL ! and Eagles fans either winge about the umpires or constantly yell BOO ! Hope the new Stadium not only advances the experience but also manages to educate these flogs. :D
I moved in the 80s- during the goldrush ;)
Hated being in Kalgoorlie in the 90s at GF time :mad:
And, with regards to your last phrase of your last sentence: sadly, I think not :(

Back on Hartman, though- I think some of his improvement can be attributed to the mentoring he receives from his indigenous buddies at the club. I'm sure he would get a lot of self confidence out of being with them during training and also during games.

It must be terribly hard for these young lads (all young draftees, that is) leaving their home state- and Hartman was quite young, only just turning 18, when he was drafted to the Cattery.

We have a fair few South Australians on our list now- I'm sure they'd all be very supportive of each other, as well. Does anyone know who Hartman lives with?

Just realised- Hartman came 6th in the Cats VFL B&F last year. Pretty amazing for a first year player!

Yay SA! That being said, Adelaide and Geelong aren't exactly very far from each other. Probably more a communal familiarity with being from the same city - my Vic cousins love making fun of my accent/pronunciation of town names etc.

I wonder if the powers that be are considering whether Brad gets a long stint in the side in a Duncan or Guthrie style introduction, rather than a GHS or Thurlow 'do your apprenticeship and wait for someone to leave' style development plan. Either would be suitable because a) we need a bigger body in the MF and JJ seems not quite ready (time is on his side though!) and b) he has a lot more development both physically and game-wise. As with everything it will probably be well-considered, I am intrigued as to what approach they will take.

Regarding the hopes of a new oval in WA - from my experience of adelaide oval, the improved appearance and experience of football in a lovely stadium does nothing to improve the quality of audience!

Yay SA! That being said, Adelaide and Geelong aren't exactly very far from each other.
Even closer for Hartman since he is from Murray Bridge.

you're suggesting he had the plot to begin with...basil z's idiocy only outdone by the drip hamish (thanks bro, i owe you for this job).
Did rompingwins run over your dog as well?

From our good friends at the MRP. No medical report called for? Hartman had to be assisted from the field.

Contact between Melbourne’s Tom McDonald and the Geelong Cats’ Brad Hartman from the fourth quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. McDonald was going on his line down the ground after Geelong Cats’ forward Tom Hawkins had taken a mark. Hartman runs in front of his team mate Hawkins and contact is made with the Melbourne player as they are proceeding down the ground. There was no high contact made and it was the view of the panel the contact was not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken.
Did any1 actually see this..? I got a blurry glimpse, Hartman was stationary & the Melb player ran past n gave him a decent knock down.. no call for it as the ball was nowhere near them..

could Hartman be the crumber..? Don't know where he usually plays but he looks a good type, liked seeing him get str8 in & get his hands dirty..

This is what I said after his 1st game (sub) By good type I don't mean to offend, I come from a thoroughbred background & it's a compliment, he seemed to pop up all over the ground last week so looks multi talented to me, looking forward to a long & distinguished career.. :thumbsu:

could Hartman be the crumber..? Don't know where he usually plays but he looks a good type, liked seeing him get str8 in & get his hands dirty..

This is what I said after his 1st game (sub) By good type I don't mean to offend, I come from a thoroughbred background & it's a compliment, he seemed to pop up all over the ground last week so looks multi talented to me, looking forward to a long & distinguished career.. :thumbsu:
I reckon he could be a good forward option. Since Varcoe and Smedts have been moved back I'd love to see a guy in the forward half who knows how to hit the ball off a pack and be dangerous once the ball hits the gorund. Much like Horlin-Smith, for example, did against Essendon. Hartman reads the ball well, tackles well, doesn't mind putting his body in and has a bit of X factor about him. His height and leap also allows him to be dangerous in marking contests and when the balls in the air. Looks to have the ability to play through the middle and also play/rest up forward which adds some versatility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies for the potential derail but it pisses me off when I see or hear this anywhere, because turning fat into muscle is a physical impossibility. Doesn't happen.

Yep LSV, but you know what he meant.

Last edited:
Disappointed seeing Hartman in the green vest on the weekend. I'd like to know the logic (if any) used to decide who gets the vest each week at the club. Pretty hard to maintain senior selection when your opportunity is hampered being the sub.

Disappointed seeing Hartman in the green vest on the weekend. I'd like to know the logic (if any) used to decide who gets the vest each week at the club. Pretty hard to maintain senior selection when your opportunity is hampered being the sub.
Especially coming on half way through the last quarter...really hoped he would get to see more game time, 16% he got

Young players rotate through it. Caddy has had it a few times this year, Horlin-Smith twice, and so on. Personally I'd rotate it with the older midfielders as well, give them a bit of a break. Better being the sub than being in the VFL (just ask Schroder).

Hey guys since starting this thread Brad has come along in heaps and bounds - hoping that 2015 is break out year for though for where he started 2014 has been pretty good I would have thought

Young players rotate through it.

Unless it's a Qualifying Final. Then they give it to one of our six best players, to keep us guessing.

Caddy has had it a few times this year, Horlin-Smith twice, and so on. Personally I'd rotate it with the older midfielders as well, give them a bit of a break. Better being the sub than being in the VFL (just ask Schroder).

Yep. It can't be a defender or tagger, it can't be a permanent ruckman (and shouldn't be Blicavs, because using one of the best endurance runners in the league for 25-40% of a game makes no sense) and it can't be a permanent forward. It can't be a superstar either, unless he's being eased back from an injury.

So who's left? I'd say with the likely inclusions of Christensen and Blicavs and the omissions of Hartman and one of the rucks, it would be Caddy, Horlin-Smith, Varcoe, Kelly, Duncan, Christensen and maybe Stokes and Bartel from our best 22. I remember the game against North at the start of last year, where Stokes started as the sub and pretty much played the perfect sub's game. I don't think he's ever played as the sub again. He might be considered to be too good a player now and fair enough, but I think there's something to be said for looking at that Stokes game as the blueprint of what you want from the sub, rather than looking at it as 'WTF was he doing in the green vest in the first place?'

A lot of the players mentioned above can rack up big disposal and tackle numbers in a hurry. Many can also go forward and kick goals. Personally, I'd like to see whether a player that tends to drift in and out of games like Varcoe might still be able to get his usual dozen or so disposals, several tackles and kick a goal, if he's only given 30% or so of the game to make his mark. I'd like to see what Kelly would do in that role. And we have seen GHS and Christensen have outstanding games as the sub in the past.

Hey guys since starting this thread Brad has come along in heaps and bounds - hoping that 2015 is break out year for though for where he started 2014 has been pretty good I would have thought

I don't think many would have expected him to get a game this year, so he's doing well. And he doesn't turn 21 until the 2015-16 offseason. For all that has been made about his doughnut-fest against GWS, but to rack up four games at this stage of his career is a very nice return for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back