crowie

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2004
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
N. Forest, NY Mets
There is a rumour that we are apparently in talks with Fevola about coming to Adelaide when his contract runs out at the end of the year. I'm sure that we could use him but I have a few concerns. Thats even if there is any truth to this story.

1. His attitude, I've heard that it isn't the best going around.

2. If he comes to the AFC what is his motive? I can think of nothing but money. Do we really want someone playing for us just because of a big fat juicy pay check every week?

2. Who do we trade for him? I don't think any of the players that we would be willing to trade would interest Carlton.

3. Reilly is the main name going around on the main board, plus picks. Given our history with these types of trades, would we risk it?

Thoughts????

This was done a while ago, but i can see it all coming together now, the fev at FF, kosi playing deep and trent at CHF............

I dont think there would be a chance at all for carlton to let him go, despite his poor form atm. Unless we finish below carlton which is now seems unlikely, we wouldnt be able to put the hard word on them. Could we trade perrie for him? I have heard pagan often give praise of perrie, so maybe thats an option, but he obviously isnt going to criticise him either. Depends on fevs age too, if hes higher than 24 i wouldnt, cause it will be three yrs until we're a chance again. We need to get a midfielder with pace in the next draft, or obviously a key forward and they are often first rounders.

Firstly I would be very surprised if Fev left Carlton. If there is even the slightest chance of him leaving I would be bitterly disappointed if we didn't have a crack.

crowie just in answer to your concerns

1) Fair point but by all accounts Modra was also difficult in that regard. What is it about FFs and attitude. It would be a slight concern but I don't think it would be a major issue.

2) I very much doubt money would be his motive simply because I think other Melbourne clubs would offer him more than we would. AFC are not known to be the ones throwing money around. We are a well run club who manage their TPP well. We are good at this because we don't dish out big bucks on all the players. Recent AFLPA survey suggests that no one at Adelaide is paid more than $500K. That would be around the mark that we would give for Fev. I bet there will be Vic clubs paying more.

Secondly, his motive might have more to do with change of scenery. It worked for Plugga. It worked for Barry Hall and it might well work for Fev.

If we are to get Fev it would require at least 2 first round picks or equivelant. If rumours regarding Watts are true then I am sure he would be someone that would be discussed.

3) I very much doubt Reilly would be someone we want to trade. He signed an extention that keeps him here until the end of 2007. Given NC's phylosophy, I would very much doubt he would trade a player (a good young player at that) that wants to stay here.

I think we would take a risk but I am not sure we would enter the bidding war for anyone unless he is the final piece for a premiership side. Considering our current position we are a long way away from that.

If Fevola did come to Adelaide I would be a bit concerned with how would Welsh and Fevola work in the same forward line. Both are more of leading forwards and for some reason I just can't see how those 2 could work together in the same forward line.

This is all hypothetical of course as I don't think he will be anywhere but at Carlton next year ;)

More than anything we need a tall forward that can take contested marks and kick goals, I think that will be our big aim in this years trade/draft period.

Fevola is 25yo

McLeod23 said:
Don't. Want. Him.
Why????

I would have thought someone like Fev would be a perfect fit for the style of play Craig wants us to play and he will be 25 at the start of next year. He is yet to enter his prime.

Personally, I think AFC would be mad not to have a crack if there is slightest chance he would come.

Stiffy_18 said:
Firstly I would be very surprised if Fev left Carlton. If there is even the slightest chance of him leaving I would be bitterly disappointed if we didn't have a crack.

crowie just in answer to your concerns

1) Fair point but by all accounts Modra was also difficult in that regard. What is it about FFs and attitude. It would be a slight concern but I don't think it would be a major issue.

2) I very much doubt money would be his motive simply because I think other Melbourne clubs would offer him more than we would. AFC are not known to be the ones throwing money around. We are a well run club who manage their TPP well. We are good at this because we don't dish out big bucks on all the players. Recent AFLPA survey suggests that no one at Adelaide is paid more than $500K. That would be around the mark that we would give for Fev. I bet there will be Vic clubs paying more.

Secondly, his motive might have more to do with change of scenery. It worked for Plugga. It worked for Barry Hall and it might well work for Fev.

If we are to get Fev it would require at least 2 first round picks or equivelant. If rumours regarding Watts are true then I am sure he would be someone that would be discussed.

3) I very much doubt Reilly would be someone we want to trade. He signed an extention that keeps him here until the end of 2007. Given NC's phylosophy, I would very much doubt he would trade a player (a good young player at that) that wants to stay here.

I think we would take a risk but I am not sure we would enter the bidding war for anyone unless he is the final piece for a premiership side. Considering our current position we are a long way away from that.

If Fevola did come to Adelaide I would be a bit concerned with how would Welsh and Fevola work in the same forward line. Both are more of leading forwards and for some reason I just can't see how those 2 could work together in the same forward line.

This is all hypothetical of course as I don't think he will be anywhere but at Carlton next year ;)

Cheers Stiffy

That Premiership puzzle could be together for 2007, I think we can challenge for a top six spot that year, Fev will be 27 (should be in his prime).

Hopefully Messon, Van Berlo, Gibson and co. we be starting to cement regular spots in 2007 aswell as playing good quality football.

I am so happy that I now have a season ticket, the next two years should be the start a very exciting era for the AFC.

IF Fevola comes to Adelaide, I will be the happiest guy ever. :D He is one of my favourite players and too have him at the club, ohhhhh!!! :D

What would you give up for him tho Stiffy?

I said on the main board that Watts and a 2nd round pick would be pretty close to the mark. Adelaide get the better out of that deal tho.

Macca19 said:
What would you give up for him tho Stiffy?

I said on the main board that Watts and a 2nd round pick would be pretty close to the mark. Adelaide get the better out of that deal tho.
It would be a lot more than that Macca.

Ottens was given up for 2 first round picks. Fevola has higher market value.

I would hate to lose Watts because I am a big rap for the kid. However, if the rumours are true then I think he would be the one we would look at giving away along with our 1st round pick.

I honestly think Fev will stay a Blue and if he was to move we would be out of the running because

a) He would get more money from some melbourne based club and his revenue from the media wouldn't be anywhere near what he would get in Melbourne
b) I don't think we could come up with what Carlton would want for him.

crowie said:
More than anything we need a tall forward that can take contested marks and kick goals, I think that will be our big aim in this years trade/draft period.

Fevola is 25yo

Its a misconception that fev takes strong contested marks. Hes a bit like tredders in that way. If he turns 26 next yr i would go for him. If its this yr, that means when we peak he'll be 29 which is slightly pushing it. Pav and fev are the types of players though that you really have to go for, which we havent in the past. Just have to weigh up if we think the youngsters we have are good enough esp in the middle, so we can afford to loose first rounders. i dont think they are.

and someone has already said this, but if we play like the game we played last week, our style will suite fevs. He would have kicked 5 at least last wk. Pagan's style doesnt suite him, but obviously hes made him a better player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

outback jack said:
and someone has already said this, but if we play like the game we played last week, our style will suite fevs. He would have kicked 5 at least last wk. Pagan's style doesnt suite him, but obviously hes made him a better player.
Huh?????

Pagan has often used Fevola as the only player inside 50, giving him a lot of space to work in :confused:

I just really can't see Fev going anywhere. He is Carlton, when Fev is firing it's the only time when Carlton look like being a contender. Added weight to the arguement would be the Pagan factor, this guy took Fev who was basically looking at a career in the VFL and turned him into a matchwinner, Fev would love to repay the faith that Pagan vested in him by taking Carlton back to premiership glory.

Stiffy_18 said:
Huh?????

Pagan has often used Fevola as the only player inside 50, giving him a lot of space to work in :confused:

at the start he did, and often stil does, but for a while i've noticed he tries to play him up the ground more. Pagan likes his forwards to be strong marking too, that physical carey type, i sense he is trying to get fev to play like this. The reality is hes a strong leading forward, who can do a little bit of body work. Pagan has never been a fan of these types. He'll stay though.

NC's style last week would suite him more i think. Its sorta kicking to a leading forward. Pagan is kick over the top to space.

Fevola and Whitnall were at the Sturt vs. North game tonight, checking out the local footy... most likely cheering on the blues ;) lol

Macca19 said:

I was quite startled to read all this about Fevola on here and the main board this morning.

If it were to happen, this is the only youngster I can see Adelaide being prepared to offer as trade, due to his homesickness.

BUT

I just can't see us offering enough to satisfy Carlton, after the Carey fiasco.

Further to that Fevola wouldn't get the same public exposure such as regular gigs on the footy show and the money that goes with that.

IMO there's almost zero chance of it happening.

macca23 said:
I was quite startled to read all this about Fevola on here and the main board this morning.

If it were to happen, this is the only youngster I can see Adelaide being prepared to offer as trade, due to his homesickness.

BUT

I just can't see us offering enough to satisfy Carlton, after the Carey fiasco.

Further to that Fevola wouldn't get the same public exposure such as regular gigs on the footy show and the money that goes with that.

IMO there's almost zero chance of it happening.
Agreed but we can dream can't we ;)

I can't see Fev anywhere but at Carlton next year.

I just hope Watts can overcome his homesickness and become the sort of player I beleive he could be.

SpringChoke said:
Wouldn't it be nice if we could develop our on key forwards. The price for Fev would be way too high.
It would be nice and the club is doing that. Its just that people jump on those players when they don't have almost instant impact.

I think the likes of Hentschel and Watts could develop into terrific key forwards.

Sideshow Fev said:
I just really can't see Fev going anywhere. He is Carlton, when Fev is firing it's the only time when Carlton look like being a contender. Added weight to the arguement would be the Pagan factor, this guy took Fev who was basically looking at a career in the VFL and turned him into a matchwinner, Fev would love to repay the faith that Pagan vested in him by taking Carlton back to premiership glory.

It will be a while before your premiership material, but turning into a good side and he tops it off, and yes he wont be leaving IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back