Remove this Banner Ad

stakern.jpg

Discussion Thread - Speculation
Discussion Thread - Trade Proposal
Discussion Thread - Official

West Coast's Roster Watch Thread
Footywire Statistics

Link 03/09/09

Staker, who has a year of a contract to run, asked the Eagles during an end-of-season interview on Tuesday to explore trade opportunities.

"Brent understands that he is contracted and that we are not in the business of giving away contracted players who have played 100 games and are 25 years old" Daniher said.

Link 03/09/09

"I think he's just maturing as an AFL footballer. He's learned a lot about the game while he's been here and he's a very, very valuable player".

"Obviously I've spoken to him about that at various stages of the year and one of Brent's things was he wanted to have a crack at becoming a midfielder," Worsfold said. "We'd played him as a forward a fair bit.

"We were supporting that with him and unfortunately the injuries this year prevented any progress in those roles."

Link 30/09/09

Staker's manager Jason Dover was tight-lipped about Staker's prospects yesterday but did confirm the Michael Voss-coached Lions as the 25-year-old's favoured club.

"He was just up there having a look around and getting familiar with the place," he said of the visit to Brisbane. "All his previous discussions with Vossy so far had been in Melbourne."

Day 1 of Trade Week:

Bradd Dalziell and pick 28 for Brent Staker, Amon Buchanan and pick 47.

staker_profile-c.jpg

Twitter

Summary:

* first game: round 1 vs West Coast (#69)
* 2010 review (#192)
* ruptured ACL in right knee (#211)
* LARS (#239)
* heated argument with Rockliff (#287)
* reinjures ACL in right knee (#311)
* opts for traditional knee reconstruction (#326)
* first operation (#358)
* 2011 review (#361)
* 2012 review (#409)

Contract status: 2010 - 2013

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2010: 7th (25 votes)
2011: =24th (4.5 votes)
2012: 0 votes

Coach's votes:

Tribunal record:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mp7uim0QAXs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mp7uim0QAXs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Transcript from that SEN mp3 (they don't keep them long) regarding where he'll play:

Q: What has Michael Voss told you about what he expects from you once you arrive there?

A: Umm, not a real lot at this stage. Its been pretty, umm, you know, he sort of wanted to save that for when I get there, so I'm still not 100% sure.

But he's mentioned position-wise, there's CHF, that roaming tall HF. There's the impact player in the midfield and I can run across half back.

You know, I'm one of those utility type players that can sort of be thrown anywhere and I've got to really take that in my stride; that's a strength to have. I look forward to being part of that; playing alongside Jonathan Brown, and running through the middle with Simon Black.

It could be a good duo; me and Jared Brennan. Him up forward and myself on the ball and changing acts.

He is a unit, isn't he ? Another Voss Project ..

If they were being picked for their grasp on fine strategic and statistical analysis I can think of quite a few who wouldn't get a game.

As Leigh Matthews once said, in the context of one of his on-going battles with Aker, [paraphrasing], "get a kick and the rest usually takes care of itself".

i tell ya now this boy will be the surprise of the season, give him a go, i reckon he will go well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be used in the forward line as a lead up player.

With Brown, Bradshaw and Fevola possibly playing together in the forward line I doubt there will be any room for someone to be a lead up player because they can't all possibly stay in the 50 because they will cut off each others leads a lot.

With Brown, Bradshaw and Fevola possibly playing together in the forward line I doubt there will be any room for someone to be a lead up player because they can't all possibly stay in the 50 because they will cut off each others leads a lot.

Lead up player similar to the way that Brown and Bradshaw occasionally lead well into midfield.
I'm not speculating.

I think Brown will play up high as a true CHF, leaving the 50 for Bradshaw and Fev. With our ruck stocks back in place, we could have Brown, Bergs and Clark to aim for coming out of defensive 50. Brown plays his best when he can run out to the wings and get the ball, problem is that has been too predictable as his next kick no doubt goes for Bradshaw. With Fev now back there, Brown kicking into the 50 from 60-70 meters out wont be so easy to defend.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mp7uim0QAXs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mp7uim0QAXs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
Check out his first two kicks in that clip. I don't think Fev/Braddy/Brown would be complaining if they got it like that every time

Staker starting over

At 196cm Staker presents the Lions with another key position option at either end of the ground while his endurance and athleticism lends itself to possible forays into the midfield.

“I think I’ll probably play more of a half-forward role next year and maybe as an impact player in the midfield,” Staker said.

For some reason Staker is already much maligned from the fans, but from me, welcome aboard and good luck.:thumbsu:

Yup, I'm all for recruits starting with a clean slate. Best of luck Stakes. :thumbsu:

staks was for the eagles basically fraser gehrig the second...just like gehrig he is

tall
fast
agile
can take a mark
hits a pack hard
has a stupid haircut
played 1 good game in 10 for WC

of course, gehrig finally matured at the saints and found consistency, and along with his haircut getting even more stupid, played some really good football.

stakers good games always seemed to coincide with him getting an almighty kick up the ass: a contract extention coming up or just about being dropped...unfortunately this points to just having a poor attitude and being nonchalant about his top level football.

with the exception of elite disposal, stacks has got it all, and can literally play any position. i really hope that vossy can get his attitude right, get his good-game rate up from 2 to 15 games a season, and turn him into the footballer he has been threatening to for the last 5 years

good luck staks :thumbsu:

(also it should be worth mentioning that staks is a metrosexual whereas gehrig was a bogan, so there are differences)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back