BRENTON PAYNE
Born: 3/9/1996
Height: 193cm
Weight: 76kg
Drafted from: Western Jets
Position: Forward/Defender

334293-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Bio:

St Kilda has selected versatile swingman Brenton Payne with pick 37 in this morning's Rookie Draft.

The athletic tall played in the forward line for the Western Jets in the first half of the 2014, before proving his adaptability down back in the second half of the season.

The 18-year-old trained with VFL club Werribee in the lead up to the Rookie Draft following bags of three goals apiece against South Australia and Western Australia for Vic Metro earlier in the year.

Read more: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-12-03/rookie-pick-54-

Payne in the fast lane

VERY few junior teams can claim to have produced multiple AFL players.

But that’s exactly what Ballarat League club Bacchus Marsh has done this year with three players from the ‘Cobras’ graduating to AFL lists.

Liam Duggan was drafted to West Coast with pick 11, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow to Carlton with pick 28, and now Brenton Payne has become a Saint via selection 37 in the Rookie Draft last week.

Read more: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-12-09/payne-in-the-fast-lane

Highlights: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-12-09/payne-in-the-fast-lane

First Interview:

Brenton Payne

Position: Key forward
Height: 193 cm, Weight: 76 kg
Club: Western Jets

If the name sounds familiar, it’s because it is. Brenton Payne is the grandson of former Essendon 184-gamer Charlie Payne, who also played in both of Essendon’s 1963 and 1965 premiership wins. In his own right, Brenton had a solid year for the Western Jets in the TAC Cup, bagging 18 goals whilst impressing at National Championship level, averaging one goal and 2.4 marks from 10 disposals. His high endurance means he outworks and outlasts most defenders.

Although light at just 76 kilograms, Payne is strong, loves to get into physical one-on-one scraps for the ball and has excellent closing speed, allowing him to burn his opponent off the mark. Defensively speaking, he’s accountable while also showing enough to suggest that he can be a versatile forward with his ability to clunk one-handed grabs. Payne averaged 5.6 marks per game at TAC Cup level this season. He has scope to become a handy swingman, with his defensive side also impressive.

http://boundforglorynews.com/rookie-draft-top-30-prospects/

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Payne:

Kicked 11 goals as a forward in his first 6 games in the TAC cup. Only kicked 4 goals in his final 7 games but was used in defense at times, including one game where he finished with 26 disp, 13 marks, 20 uncontested possessions, 7 rebound 50s and 4 inside 50s.

Kicked 9.3 for Vic Metro, kicking multiple goals in 3 of his 5 games.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-09-10/payne-puts-pen-to-paper

ROOKIE Brenton Payne has signed a new deal that will keep him at the Saints until at least the end of next season.

The 19-year-old, who was selected with pick no.37 in December’s Rookie Draft, is currently recovering from an ankle sprain sustained while playing for Sandringham in the VFL.

Despite the unfortunate end to the year, Payne said he has learnt a great deal in his first season at the club and is committed to further development in 2016.

“I’ve really enjoyed my first season at the Saints, it’s been great to learn from some great coaches and train with lots of quality players,” Payne told SAINTS.com.au.

“I’m certain we are building something really special around the pack of young players we’ve got coming through and I’m rapt to be a part of it.

“It’s exciting times.”

Hope he keeps it up it'd be nice for him to have one of those sneaks up on you style careers like poor old Jarryd Allen in 2008.

If he'd played in 2009 we would've been invincible off the half back.

Hope he keeps it up it'd be nice for him to have one of those sneaks up on you style careers like poor old Jarryd Allen in 2008.

If he'd played in 2009 we would've been invincible off the half back.

Wasnt Jarryd Allen a forward? You might be thinking of Jayden Attard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's the guy who's hip gave way?

Pretty sure that was Allen. But I remember him as a forward.

Attard showed great signs at half back, did his knee and then got delisted.

For the Sandy watchers out there, how was his body of work this season? Still a few years off, if he makes it at all?
For a young, raw and inexperienced kid, i thought his season was fairly good on the whole

6 Dev League games - looks to have done ok and kicked some goals
8 Sandy seniors games - a bit

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_...=196039966&client=1-118-10447-339767-20320226

Got injured last game, and the 2 previous games were a bit of a wipe-out.

His best game was at Vic Park - maybe Winmar2Lockett can enlighten us, as he was there that day on the sauce!!

Haven't seen my nominated player live.

All I can report is that he is a good size & by all reports has sticky hands to go with his athleticism.

Haven't seen my nominated player live.

All I can report is that he is a good size & by all reports has sticky hands to go with his athleticism.

He's tallish but he is a skinny as a whippet. He played the intraclub or a training, It was against senior Saints ( I can't remember which) this year. He looked at home. I'm not sure if he makes it but isn't lost amongst the older bigger guys. He is a bit like Dunnell in that awkward size and not sure what he develops into. Might be the third tall type, seems like a little KPF. Strong overhead mark was my observation from the bit I saw of him. He was a nice laconic country kid with a huge grin that never leaves his face. He would make a good team mate, makes you feel in a good mood just being near him.

Pretty sure that was Allen. But I remember him as a forward.

Attard showed great signs at half back, did his knee and then got delisted.

Attard was killing it and was doing tagging that year and Ross just threw him out once the knee went. He was one of our few positives that year. Jarred Allen was a bitch, I still remember how good he looked when he came on against Collingwood.

Attard was killing it and was doing tagging that year and Ross just threw him out once the knee went. He was one of our few positives that year. Jarred Allen was a bitch, I still remember how good he looked when he came on against Collingwood.

I should say his injury was a bitch- not him as a person.

I'm really excited to see how Payne develops, sat down with Doug Hawkins the other day and he raved on about him.
Yeah he seems like a bit of a project player... Could have something there when he gets a bit more size on him and keeps building his tank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back