Brett Lee's Future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Discuss.

I can't see how he will fit in to Australias lineup in the future with so many younger guys coming up. He may play one or two more tests when we have a few injuries but I can't see his Test career adding more then 10 tests before his retirement.

Clark when fit still has a role in this team.

Lee is what 33 now? injured and bowling as bad as he has since 2003.

He's done, it's rebuilding time and the new generation have earned the right to establish themselves in the team.

Has no role in the team anymore. Our future looks bright with young guys in Siddle, Johnson and Hilfenhaus, and the veteran in Clark who helps teammates get wickets with his tight bowling. Picking Lee would just be prolonging the inevitable, and frankly I don't see him in our best XI even age aside.

he's finished unless there is a dramatic spate in injuries.

if he was playing in that last test, he would have done his usual feed of 4 balls and 6 balls and done a fist pump when he got the no.9 batsman out for his wicket for the test match.

In tests I would like to think he is finished, but I see the selectors rushing him back into the side in time for the ashes. Which wouldn't be such a wise move because this current team is really becoming quite cohesive. Replace McDonald with Clark for the ashes and that is all.

If he is brought straight back into the side for the Ashes, the selectors are an absolute disgrace.
Test career should be over, yes he has had injuries, but ATM it looks like the younger guys have taken his spot in the side, and they donn't deserve to be dropped going on for at this moment, and he needs runs on the board to get a recall, and bad performances by Siddle and Hilfenhaus.
Should worry about the shorter form of the game.

Also for the people that think he will get back in the side for a sustained period.
How do you actually see this happening?

As it stands, he shouldn't even be near the Test side - not with an in-form, cohesive bowling attack and Stuart Clark waiting in the wings. He may get another run if there are some injuries, though. Otherwise, the selectors would be insane to bring him back. He has returned before, but he was 28 back then - also, Kaspr and Gillespie were not in particularly good form. He's 32 now.

I do think he deserves a run in the ODI side - he's always been an excellent ODI bowler, after all. Even when he's doled out rubbish in Tests, it hasn't really affected his ODI form.

Seems to be a lot of support for Clark in this thread. I suspect that Hilfy anf Siddle have now gone past him. At his age and after all those injuries, he will not get back to his form of 2007/8. I'd say he is about as done as Lee.

Agree with the consensus here.

He's still in our best OD team. One of our best OD bowler's ever. We missed his 1 or 2 wickets in the 1st 10 overs this summer, and his ability to bowl a couple in the middle overs when we needed the wickets. This allows Bracken more flexbility.

BUT as for the tests, he looks gone. Siddle and Johnson have sewn up 2 of the spots, with probably Hilfenhaus or Clark for the other fast man's spot for a bit of variety.

If this bowling unit keeps it up, he won't get back in the Test team. However, if it faulters, I think they will bring in experiance and it'll be either he or Clark that get in, but for future's sake, hopefully not both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our ability to take 20 wickets since Lee has been out of the team is worse.
Clark, Lee, Johnson and one of siddle or hilfenhaus IMO. North to play the spinning all rounder position with contributions from clarke and katich.

I think our ability to take 20 wickets since Lee has been out of the team is worse.
Clark, Lee, Johnson and one of siddle or hilfenhaus IMO. North to play the spinning all rounder position with contributions from clarke and katich.

Thus why since he has been out of the side injured we have taken 20 wickets on both occations:rolleyes:

wot?

Brett lee was only ever an ordinary test bowler who had a great start and the odd good series.

as a ODI player he'd be ranking amongst the best in the world IF he can recapture his form.

You guys are jumping off him WAY to quickly.

It was only 12 months ago that Brett Lee won the Alan Border medal. He's easily our second best bowler behind Johnson, he's just had a form slump. And on his day he'll leave Johnson for dead. You have to remember that he went through allot of crap outside of cricket with his personal life last year, and that would take a huge toll Mentaly and Physically. Espeacially when your on the otherside of the globe and your wife wants to leave you.

Also your forgetting that Australia is in a huge form slump aswell, just because we won the first test in S.Africa doesn't mean we are reserected from that shocking summer we had. You watch we'll lose this next test and everyone will be scratching their heads looking for the next solution.

Brett Lee has taken a well deserved break from cricket to sort himself out on and off the field. He's treating these 3 months like a pre season and it's all for the ashes.

Hillfenhouse will not make the ashes squad but Brett Lee will. :thumbsu:

I had the exact intention to state what the individual did above, he won the year before last's allan border medal. He gets injured (which is hardly his fault) and has a bad patch (hey didn't ponting and gilchrist have one of those) and all of a sudden ben hilfenhaus (or bollinger/mcdonald for that matter) who takes three wickets in two innings should get picked ahead of him. Bullshit.

For mine, ideal ashes side would be:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
McGain
Clark

Siddle

I don't honestly know how any of you clowns can disagree with that.

(sorry for the brackets).

he had a great 2007/08 and we thought he had finally arrived... but he has just fallen in a heap since then.

to be honest i struggle to get him in a second XI team - we have five quicks better than him; johnson, clark, siddle, bollinger, hilfenhaus... whilst the sixth best quick bowling spot in the country is up for grabs between Lee, Noffke, Geeves, Magoffin and a few others.

to be honest i find it amazing he's played so much test cricket - between the south african 2001/2002 home series and the ashes 2005 series he only average below 30 with the ball in one series out of 9 series in total (28.23 in the windies 2002/03)....

hopefully he'll be back...

i was listening to the commentary on abc radio, they were talking about him (how great is it to be talked about?) : anyway the commentators said they saw him playing some karaoke rock music for some bollywood dvd, and brett looked more like his old self off the field

its been an interesting summer for him: ie why did he go to india? why did he play against south africa? nobody will know.

the good thing is with him not playing since the melbourne test match, everyone's pretty much forgotten about him, but sometimes being "forgotten about" is a good thing

Basically our only two decent bowling performances against decent opposition in the last 12 months have been the two tests lee missed.

I won't even touch on the idea of north as a spinning all rounder.

he's finished unless there is a dramatic spate in injuries.

if he was playing in that last test, he would have done his usual feed of 4 balls and 6 balls and done a fist pump when he got the no.9 batsman out for his wicket for the test match.
That made me laff a lot.

Very good description.

I had the exact intention to state what the individual did above, he won the year before last's allan border medal. He gets injured (which is hardly his fault) and has a bad patch (hey didn't ponting and gilchrist have one of those) and all of a sudden ben hilfenhaus (or bollinger/mcdonald for that matter) who takes three wickets in two innings should get picked ahead of him. Bullshit.

For mine, ideal ashes side would be:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
McGain
Clark

Siddle

I don't honestly know how any of you clowns can disagree with that.

(sorry for the brackets).

The only clown is somebody like you who think Lee should walk back into the team after being pathetic the last 3-4 Test series he has played, on the back of an injury, and he probably won't have any form in longer form of cricket.
Get a clue before you call other people a clown.
Im suprised you aren't pushing for Symonds to come back in.
Face the facts, our bowling attack has looked miles better since he hasn't been in it.
He has a career average of 30 FFS, he was a good bowler, but never any more then that. Time to move on with younger bowlers with a future who will be just as good, probably better

You guys are jumping off him WAY to quickly.

It was only 12 months ago that Brett Lee won the Alan Border medal. He's easily our second best bowler behind Johnson, he's just had a form slump. And on his day he'll leave Johnson for dead. You have to remember that he went through allot of crap outside of cricket with his personal life last year, and that would take a huge toll Mentaly and Physically. Espeacially when your on the otherside of the globe and your wife wants to leave you.

Also your forgetting that Australia is in a huge form slump aswell, just because we won the first test in S.Africa doesn't mean we are reserected from that shocking summer we had. You watch we'll lose this next test and everyone will be scratching their heads looking for the next solution.

Brett Lee has taken a well deserved break from cricket to sort himself out on and off the field. He's treating these 3 months like a pre season and it's all for the ashes.

Hillfenhouse will not make the ashes squad but Brett Lee will. :thumbsu:

Hilfenhaus will definitely make the Ashes squad - injury permitting ofcourse. FFS he is one of the few bowlers we have that really knows how to swing the ball. Lee on the other hand is finished. This unit will lose some tests, but they are young and will learn from the experience. I think they are gelling quite nicely. Throw Stewie Clark in there and I reckon the attack looks pretty reasonable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back