Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesinta apparently seeking legal advice over a Daily Terror article about why she and Buddy should postpone their wedding, which implied that they shouldn't get married because of his illness. Hope she sues the pants off them.

The article makes some reasonable points, to be honest. I mean it's really just common sense, "you don't have to make massive life choices when battling mental health problems, and weddings are ******* stressful". That said, the very fact it exists, and was published, is frankly just in poor taste. It's none of our business, and certainly none of the journo's. But I'm not sure "poor taste" and "mind your own business" is grounds for a lawsuit. Perhaps the last point about Franklin being rumoured to be in care, with the line "unclear if Franklin...has been evaluated and released" implies some sort of institutionalisation that brings to mind the psychiatric asylums of old, and could in that way be interpreted as slander... but that's a very, very long bow to draw.

Also, now if they DO postpone the wedding, it's going to look like it was the journo's idea. Yuck.

The article makes some reasonable points, to be honest. I mean it's really just common sense, "you don't have to make massive life choices when battling mental health problems, and weddings are ******* stressful". That said, the very fact it exists, and was published, is frankly just in poor taste. It's none of our business, and certainly none of the journo's. But I'm not sure "poor taste" and "mind your own business" is grounds for a lawsuit. Perhaps the last point about Franklin being rumoured to be in care, with the line "unclear if Franklin...has been evaluated and released" implies some sort of institutionalisation that brings to mind the psychiatric asylums of old, and could in that way be interpreted as slander... but that's a very, very long bow to draw.

Also, now if they DO postpone the wedding, it's going to look like it was the journo's idea. Yuck.

Yeh, this is it. She doesn't state anything that is that outlandish if you were discussing the issue with a friend on the couch, but it's just irresponsible to publish this in a newspaper like their wedding is a burning bone of contention that the community needs to concern themselves with.

The writer has really been on the front foot with combatting people who are criticising it being published too. She's dragging herself down with little self-awareness seemingly.

And the story had finally escaped the newspapers' grasps too. That's what also is s**t about it. He and his family/friends didn't have to read about or concern themselves with anything and then this writer decides now is the time to openly speculate for the sake of grabbing readership and clicks.

It wasn't just in poor taste, though. One of the "reasons" that I found the most appalling was that mental illness may be hereditary. Not hard to figure out what point she was trying to make there.

It wasn't just in poor taste, though. One of the "reasons" that I found the most appalling was that mental illness may be hereditary. Not hard to figure out what point she was trying to make there.

Again, not something you can object to on legal grounds, since it's strictly speaking true. But still mindblowingly tasteless. I somehow doubt this is a) the first time Buddy has struggled with mental health issues, and b) the first Jesinta has known about it. It's also no more an issue than if Buddy had a history of heart disease, or cancer, or any other illness with hereditary factors.

It's just a shocking article all round. And she has the gall to also offer up, "because of the rumours that won't quit" as a reason the point beforehand. I wonder whose fault that is?

She trawls ponds like a bottom feeder for excreta, to smear on celebrity's doors. Then she has the gall to tell them to clean their house. Scum.

Trying to sue would have more downsides for Jactina and Lance than benefits. Yes a shocking, pointless article but not something that breaches the truth to the point where lawyers are needed

I think Jacinta has handled all this duress with a great deal of dignity. She doesn't need to sue. I had no real opinion of her previously (other than she seemed genuine, and she and Buddy looked happy together) but she has earned a fair amount of respect in my eyes.

That person at the Daily terror meanwhile...

Yeah, when I said that I hoped she would sue it was more wishful thinking than what would actually happen. Still gobsmacked at the article, it would be drawing a long bow to call it slander but I found it insulting, not just to Buddy and Jesinta themselves, but to anyone who has either suffered from a mental illness or been in a relationship with someone who has. Rant over.

Yeah, when I said that I hoped she would sue it was more wishful thinking than what would actually happen. Still gobsmacked at the article, it would be drawing a long bow to call it slander but I found it insulting, not just to Buddy and Jesinta themselves, but to anyone who has either suffered from a mental illness or been in a relationship with someone who has. Rant over.

FWIW that wasn't a rant, RW. Simply common sense. :thumbsu:

Not sure where to ask this, but hypothetically Buddy retires this year. Where does that leave us contractually and slaray cap wise?

At the mercy of a League over the next 8 seasons, a League seemingly happy to see us bottom out.

Contractually it wouldn't be an issue. We wouldn't have to pay out his entire contract. They're be a settlement of some kind. But his contract will remain deducted from our Salary Cap until the end unless we receive dispensation.

Not sure where to ask this, but hypothetically Buddy retires this year. Where does that leave us contractually and slaray cap wise?
Contractually: he receives no further salary for the remaining 7 years, assuming he retires entirely of his own volition.

Salary cap: his full contract counts against the cap for the next 7 years.

Inb4 someone says 'the AFL could change that at any moment' - yes they could but above is the current and default position.

Contractually: he receives no further salary for the remaining 7 years, assuming he retires entirely of his own volition.

Inb4 someone says 'the AFL could change that at any moment' - yes they could but above is the current and default position.

Damn you!!!

I was just about to say the AFL could change that at any moment even though.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to court v AFL.

Its ok he has already gotten through 22 percent of his contract

Re-opening this thread now. As the thread title suggests, yes, we know the rumours are out there, and we're not ignoring them, but this thread isn't the place for them. Regarding Buddy, we are happy for discussion to take place here as long as it is factual, keeping the rumours out of it.

Any rumours posted will be moved to the already locked thread about Buddy's health, which will be re-opened if anything new comes up.

Thanks for reading.

putting all the bs aside and focusing on his play.

Tippetts forward work IMO was better when Buddy did not play, how do we best incorporate both because I don't think we have gotten it right yet

Well the club seems to be desperately trying to find a genuine number one ruck in order to keep Tippett to a 70-30 split of game time forward to ruck (roughly).

So I'd have Franklin as a true CHF (similar to how Jack Riewoldt played this year or Nick Riewoldt's traditional role of pushing right up to the wings and beyond more often). Just give him free reign to roam and go everywhere with CHF as his starting point. Completely release the shackles and let him run. Then push him deeper a few times each game (when Tippett goes into the ruck or is off the ground).

So Tippett is playing similarly to how he played at the end of the year. It looks like that the coaches want Reid primarily as a forward so he'll be up there too with Heeney (though I'd be slowly increasing his midfield time over the year in 2016), McGlynn (who I'd play forward for the vast majority of gametime), maybe Rohan (but who knows what the coaches are going to do with him now, might just be more of the same allowing him to float around).

I would hate to see the big Bud retire - the guys is an absolute superstar.

Looking at it from another clubs point of view - if he were to retire I believe the contract would have to stay against the cap. The main reason why this would have to occur is that he left under free agency, specifically restricted free agency. Whilst Hawthorn did not match the offer they had the right too but didn't because of its value / length etc. If the contract value was removed from Sydneys cap this makes the whole restricted free agency model unsustainable. Otherwise every club will be offering 9-10 year contracts where there is no intention of actually playing out the whole contract.

Don't mean to antagonise are start an argument here, just thought I would offer a reason as to why the contract must stay.

Looking at it from another clubs point of view - if he were to retire I believe the contract would have to stay against the cap. The main reason why this would have to occur is that he left under free agency, specifically restricted free agency. Whilst Hawthorn did not match the offer they had the right too but didn't because of its value / length etc. If the contract value was removed from Sydneys cap this makes the whole restricted free agency model unsustainable. Otherwise every club will be offering 9-10 year contracts where there is no intention of actually playing out the whole contract.

Don't mean to antagonise are start an argument here, just thought I would offer a reason as to why the contract must stay.
You are correct, and that is why the AFL made the terms extremely clear to the club before they allowed it (confirmed by multiple news sources).

You're right. I could maybe see them making an exception if it turns out the circumstances are, for whatever reason, extremely unusual/exceptional/whatever. But it's highly unlikely, and that's ok. It's the risk you take offering such lengthy contracts.

Lets just wait until next week when an announcement doesnt come, everyone just jumps at shadows. Everyone thinks they have a reliable source. blah blah blah. Just put this down to another silly rumour and some moron trying to get his 30 seconds of fame.

I have a mate who is best mates with an ex swans player, who plays at another club who is mates with a current swans player who is a team mate of a mate of Buddys does that make my source reliable?????

These blokes sit behind their keyboards and make s**t up in between waiting for their goal post to re firm.

The facts are.... we don't know much and no matter what we all say it doesn't change the fact Buddy wants privacy and time. Does all this crap talk really help. NO.

Back